surf school/camp recs

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by zeak, Aug 2, 2015.

1. zeak

zeak Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Hi. I'm a 46 yr old novice, having surfed intermittently over the past 15 yrs but never managed to improve, now looking for a 3-5 day instructional surf experience to finally take it to the next level. I'm in the mid atlantic and was thinking about PR. Anybody have experience with the different schools/camps in Rincon? Also, any time of year that is particularly good or bad in terms of wave consistency? I'm really hoping to maximize the experience. Thanks.

2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    If you & your kid want to learn properly, there's only one place to go:
    www.surfsimply.com

Other than that, you're wasting your money & time. And if you have really been lurking here on SI Forum, reading posts, then you'd friggin know that. Now get yourself gone, jackass.

3. zeak

zeak Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Wow. that's a nice welcome to the forum. Thanks for the info, but i'm looking for puerto rico, not costa rica.

4. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    told ya where to go , are you the horse that refuses to drink the water ??

5. alfred

alfred Member

Jul 9, 2015
    wb surf camp

6. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Whatever, tool, grow some cojones, sack up & deal w the Forum. Oh.....you've been lurking.....you already know this.

7. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Really? you haven't improved in 15 years? Either your awesome or suck a$$ and I'm guessing the latter . I don't know if you had a proper hello tread . Why don't you take your wavestorm out a bit more consistently before you travel the globe in search of great waves you have no business on or under in your case. Puerto rico this time of year? I think you should start in the gulf like naples fl.

8. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Yeah, I was kind of wondering about the 15 year thing, too! Since we know you are not hitting any carolina cutbacks, what exactly can you do? Can you stand and ride a wave in? Can you turn and head down the line? Can you actually pump down the line for speed? Floater? Shacked? (and that doesn't mean dipping your head into the white wash and then screaming how you got tubed!) What part are you looking to improve? You really haven't improved in 15 years??? Are you only going 1 time a year? Before you answer any of these questions, you might want to start with a "Hello" threade. We can help you, but you have to help us

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Well, some of you pediatric surfers may not understand guys not surfing much over 15 years, but raising kids sometimes gets in da way!!

Zeak, PR summer is flat. But can you go in Fall, the later the better?? As bagus said, Mar Azul in Rincon is a nice surf shop--google it. Speak with Bobby, or Raquel, his wife. They are very nice, and will set you up for a nice time. Hope it works.
    You can fly in to Aquadilla (BQN) with jet blue, which about 30 minutes from Rincon. Flying in to San Juan (SJU) is about 3 hr drive to Rincon.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Zeak, look man, these guys are a little rough around the edges, but would really love to help you out. I'm a boggy boarder so I'd be of no service to you. But, if you take teh time to make a ,"hello", thread, I'm sure these here dudes would point you in the right direction.

Just tell us about yourself Zeak, and as Zero said, help us to help you.

11. mrz1

mrz1 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2014
  12. mrz1

mrz1 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2014
  13. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Lolz...The horror, the horror...

14. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    49 years old here, surfing most of that time. Improved surfing skills come so gradually I doubt 5 days of coaching, even from Kelly Slater himself will help all that much. Water time is all that matters and repeating it over and over, day by day, year after year. I have seen older guys at my home break surf consistently for 10 years and there is hardly a change in their style or ability. The step forward come in spurts, with little to no improvement for years at a time. Never understood why older guys even want to start, seems like a hassle with no real payoff. An example of how little changes. Had a friend come down to visit that I haven't surfed with in 25 years. Told him to meet me at the beach. When he got there I was in the water already. He paddled right out to me in a crowd of people. I asked how he knew where I was he said there was no missing my style of surfing he could spot it a mile away. I know I have improved over those years but the basic ability or lack of, doesn't change much over a long time.

15. zeak

zeak Member

Aug 2, 2015
    thanks for the info. i'll call them. i am flexible with dates and am just starting to research for a trip down the road. appreciate it.

16. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Bagus and O Barry are giving you the best advice for having a nice fun trip to Rincon without all the BS. I've stayed with Bobby and Raquel at Mar Azul 4 times and every time was perfect. You got everything you need right there, just enjoy yourself and don't worry about a thing. October can be good and not too crowded yet.

17. EMazzSpicoli

EMazzSpicoli Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2015
    boggy boarder

I like this :cool:

18. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I give one lesson and a lifetime of practice. there is no trick. watch people who surf good and practice doing that. or waste your money on surf lessons from people who will keep taking your money.

it's like if you want to play guitar and then you find out how difficult it is. if you really want to play you will work incessantly at it, guitar in hand, through, struggle, frustration, pain, sacrificing other things, or your will surely fail.

if you are always in the water dropping in and really trying on the right board at the right time you will learn how to surf.

my son was really good at video games and fantasy football. now he plays guitar and surfs.

free lesson over.

19. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I give one lesson and a lifetime of practice. there is no trick. watch people who surf good and practice doing that. or waste your money on surf lessons from people who will keep taking your money.

it's like if you want to play guitar and then you find out how difficult it is. if you really want to play you will work incessantly at it, guitar in hand, through, struggle, frustration, pain, sacrificing other things, or your will surely fail.

if you are always in the water dropping in and really trying on the right board at the right time you will learn how to surf.

my son was really good at video games and fantasy football. now he plays guitar and surfs.

free lesson over.

20. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012