Proctor Monsta Chief on order

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by toofun, Aug 18, 2015.

1. toofun

toofun Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Well pulled the trigger on a new board today. Got a Proctor Monsta Cheif on order from Todd Proctor. Going with a 7'6"x 24 x 3 5/8 board. Set up with a 5 fin configuration to go between the quad and thruster. Great guy to talk to and he and Charissa spent a good amount of time on the phone answering and helping me dial in what I was looking for. Going with the proxy epoxy and the superduty finish. Should have it in 4-6 weeks just in time for the october season!! It is about 15 liters less than what my joe blair board is. Cant wait to try it out!! If it works as well as I hope it will I already have my other board sold pending me getting this one. Happy puppy today!

TOOFUN

2. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009

3. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    How much did he hit you up for it? Those full page ads aren't cheap & he runs em in all the surf mags.

I do like his boards tho! Review after you get some use!

4. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    3 5/8? That's a whole lotta board.

"We're gonna need a bigger ocean..."

Just kidding dude, you'll love it from the first time it hits the watre!

5. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Thats a huge biotch, Freaaaaak, boheeemuthh!!!!!

6. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Hey dude what's weather in Tahiti like right now?

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    More like, what's the weather like in your bathtub raddamoron....?

8. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Good stuff, mang.

I have a custom Proctor longboard made several years ago. And, well said: Todd & Charissa are the real deal, very cool peeps who spend as much time as needed with the client to ensure the right board. Def feel like you have a personal shaper with Todd Proctor making your board! Hope you have a great time with the new stick :cool:

9. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    the duble post again

10. toofun

toofun Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Yea definately liked what I heard from them. Spent a fair amount of time researching boards, looking at his site and others to. There is a great little channel on youtube called shredshow where these guys talk in lenght about all kinds of different boards the good the bad and the indifferent... Anyways, the one thing I liked about talking to both of them was they didnt try to upsell the crap out of everything. We talked about concave decks, channels on the bottom, the v1 rocker versus the HD rocker. In the end most of the stuff I asked about they said I would be wasting my money on getting with the particular board I was going with and at the level of surfing I was at... honesty... I really liked that... I ended up going with the superduty finish on the board and Charissa told me that even though the tail reinforcement strips were only $25 I really wouldnt need it with that finish on the board. Little things like that make the difference to me. Anyways, It should be here in 4-6 weeks. I will post some pics of the board and feedback once I get it in the water.

11. JaimeL

JaimeL Active Member

Feb 28, 2012
    I estimate $1000 plus $160 for Shipping. Close too fun?

12. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Why didn't you get the big one?

13. OBXsurfdog

OBXsurfdog New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Am i reading that correctly in 24" wide. How many liters of volume? Definitely interested in your review of this board as it too peaked my interest.

14. toofun

toofun Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    JamieL yup u definitely hit it right shipping is a killer since it's coming from Cali but you only live once. OBX SURFDOG 70l of volume but it is 18 l less than the joe Blair board I have can't wait to try it out when it gets here I will post my feedback once it does

15. toofun

toofun Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    So let me say this how long do u have to surf before you spend that kind of money for a board? Let's say 3 years or maybe even 5 now let's factor in the fact that I am an older guy who is bigger than your average bear if you spend money on quality then I should get a lot of years out of that board not to mention being able to progress on it week after week and the fact that I can afford to splurge on myself at this point in my life why not? Give you an example I bought the joe Blair board about 8 months ago shipped to my door for 800.... I have it sold already to a guy locally who is around my age my size who also WANs to get off a long board for 600 so what did I really lose? There is bigger depreciation in cars and other luxurys in life. I've been skiing all my life since I was 4 I've skied all over the world and can ski anywhere on anything. Can pick up a set of used skis and ski them fine but I'd rather spend the money on a quality set of planks I know are gonna perform,take abuse and last for a long time.. No substitution for quality no matter what your doing

16. numbone

numbone Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2012
    well put, I agree. you will get your moneys worth and sell it, then someone else will use it for years

17. garbanzobean

garbanzobean Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Please tell us how big and tall you are for Todd to prescribe a shortboard (mid-size?) of gargantuan proportions? And if you are really that big please tell us why you don't have a longboard. And where are you surfing along with where do you live? You say you have been surfing for 3 years but I have friends that tell me they have been surfing for 20 with maybe 5 total combined paddle outs. That sure is a chunk of change for a 7'6".

18. garbanzobean

garbanzobean Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Is a Joe Blair those boards that Chauncey's in OCMD sells? Only place I have ever seen 'em.

19. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    is that similar to a walden mega mini magic in dims, no? prob a bit more performance oriented...

20. toofun

toofun Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Yes the overall dimensions are close to the walden mini mega magic, but it is a 1/2 inch wider and Im sure there are many differences in the design of it as well. I looked at the mini mega magics in a 7'6" but wanted something that was shaped in the U.S. not mass produced. From what I have researched a lot of bigger guys love these proctor monsta cheifs... When you break down the price it is not that much more to get the monsta cheif and I definately think you get alot more personalization, support and customization going with a shaper than a producer of boards... just my .02 cents...

BTW I am 6'0 225 47 yrs old with a reconstructed left shoulder. Waves here are in the North east mushy and small in the summer but build better in the early spring and late fall with more punch and power to them... not an expert by any means but really have a good feeling about this board. I guess I will see when it arrives!