OCBP OCMD Lifeguards

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by ECsponger, Sep 1, 2015.

1. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    I remember a few years ago a local fella called out the Ocean City Beach Patrol (Maryland) on their Facebook page, saying how there's guards on the stand for doing a crap job or for just being unknowledgeable kooks - man oh man did it create quite a stir! So many people were up in arms about it, but others silently agreed. It was very controversial.

I also remember learning throughout my years, that if you want change you have to create it yourself. So 2 years ago I trained and passed the tryout test. Now I'm rapidly moving up in the beach patrol ranks and am gaining a lot of respect for my positive actions and leadership skills.

Sure, there's days we sit and don't even blow our whistles (today, for example -paid to sit on the beach all day and listen to music) but there's also times where we are literally saving and changing lives, and teaching people to respect the ocean (I made over 20 rescues over the past week). A lot of people love to talk and point fingers but even less are actively doing something about their issues.

SO - my question to you locals and up-and-comer surfers and groms - can YOU pass the test?

Tryouts are this Saturday, September 5th for the 2016 season - 10-11am sign-in Dorchester St and beach.

We need less kooks and more watermen.

2. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014

3. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    ^^ hahaha

that being said... I am a guard as well. Props to you young keki. I've been guarding for 9 years now. It's turned into a profession.

4. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    east coast tryouts are a joke
    try and get on city and county of honolulu
    then you can call yourself a waterman

what a joke this post is

5. UserID

UserID Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2013
    So you want every dudebro who is trying out for NJ lifeguard spots next year to come to Hawaii? Ok, if that's what you want, they're all yours!

6. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Yea I can pass the test I have been a captain for years.

Are yall really having tryouts for next year in September?????????????????????

7. UserID

UserID Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2013
    If you get caught in a rip like a tourist and drown during the tryout are you disqualified?

8. njerseysurf

njerseysurf Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Yeah, I'm a guard here in NJ and that seems weird. A lot can change over a winter, be it living situations, work, school, fitness level. Signing them up now sounds nuts to me

9. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013

no, I'm saying be proud of real accomplishments, not participation trophies, dont toot your own horn just cause you can make a bowl of cornflakes

if overweight chics can make it on a squad, its a joke, not an accomplishment

hey op, what are the tryouts like?

list the requirements, lets see how tough it is

making rescues is legit, thats cool for sure

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  10. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Upvoted

11. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    This is a good idea- get surfers on the job who know that water and the ocean.

12. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    during a "thunder storm" (it really wasnt all that bad) me and a friend were were walking up to the beach, waves looked good so I began to run to the water while my friend was putting wax on his board (he has a sponge, I had a 4'6 sponge that had skegs) as i am about to jump in the water, this beach patrol truck from about 2 streets down turns on its sirens on and comes rushing down the beach. at this point I start walking back to my friend, and the beach patrol dude yells something, I couldn't hear him very well so i called out "What?" and he replied with a scream "YOU NEED TO LEAVE THE BEACH. DO NOT GIVE ME ATTITUDE" and my friend asked him, calmy, why do we need to leave the beach, and he went on a rant about how I wasn't allowed to surf with skegs, there was a thunder storm, how we were giving him attitude, ect. so I say "sorry sir, we are leaving now"

but as we were walking off the beach he turned his truck around and blocked the exit so we couldn't get out., and said he was going to give me a ticket, when I asked him what for he said "don't worry about it, you're getting a ticket". we walked around his truck and squeezed out the exit while him and his buddy followed us and he called in a real cop to come to were we were. the cop was just standing there silent, like "what am i doing wasting my time here". in this situation we barely said anything besides "sorry sir, i'm sorry" because he was screaming about us being disrespectful and me having skegs. meanwhile, three little 10 year old kids come running off the beach. the beach that was supposed to be cleared by this dude. but he's too busy trying to ticket me for having skegs. we eventually walked away.

please do not reply with quote, deleting this soon.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  13. S2Kreative

S2Kreative Well-Known Member

May 27, 2006
    I would do it in a heartbeat if it payed accordingly.

14. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    is it true that you get an automatic pass if you are a laxerbro?

15. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Thanks, funny thing is - I'm not even young. Almost 10 years older than the average-aged guard.

- rookies go through a week-long surf rescue program in the spring before they are put on a stand. It was literally the hardest week of my life but so worth the accomplishment. It's one's own responsibility to maintain and increase physical fitness in the offseason. You take a recertification test every year.

- http://oceancitymd.gov/oc/departments/emergency-services/beach-patrol/

Hawkheart - What beach, when? Please understand that all lives are in the guards hands when they are on the beach, no matter the conditions. We don't "ticket" in Maryland, never even heard of it. Sounds like a Jerz thing. Squads?http://mdcoastdispatch.com/2007/08/09/fatal-lightning-strike-remembered-21-years-later/

starts at $13 goes to $14 - yes, I agree we need a pay raise and some of the senior staff agree - come on down FIBP season is almost over and we need the help.

16. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    EC, conversely, what are you doing to improve anti-surfing attitudes on OCBP?

17. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    You go ahead and play waterman while the rest of us adults go to work or go train for an actual career. When you go and apply for that mortgage to live within a reasonable distance of the surf after the first 25 years of your life fly by, you can supplement the $14 dollars an hour on the income line with an explanation of how your waterman skills entitle you to live in your requested house.

18. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Improving them?? He should be encouraging them!!
    Surfers are morons, remember??

19. Itacare75Bahia

Itacare75Bahia New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Congrats and thanks for all of your hard work! I can't imagine all of the bull**** you guys have to put up with all summer.

20. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015