Does water temperature affect fin performance?

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by Roy Stuart, Oct 12, 2015.

1. EMazzSpicoli

EMazzSpicoli Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2015
    KR what's good bud? Gotta get back up your way soon. Probably will this winter!

2. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    i have slept on this and here's what i woke up to.

DUDE, if you're trying to calculate drag on the leading edge of the foil - you have to take into account the deviations of the curved area of the leading foil. lets say your fin is a 1/4 inch in thickness, you're not hitting the water flat anyway, you need the intgral between b/a in the foils f(x) dx, where dx is your 1/4inch.
    this way you will find the exact relative contact surface. then multiplying THAT by the 1.88x(10^06) per m^2/s^-1 will get you the numbers you're looking for. either way.... I'm done with a threade where a question was posted but no answeres are sought. since you already know everything, right? don't forget to polish the fin, to reduce surface drag and thusly turbulence. that shott makes my back foot wiggle.

3. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Don't leave. I am enjoying your replies. What I think it boils down to, is that Roy is trying to simplify a complicated system down to one basic equation to calculate Re. If you look up research papers on real world effects of Re on flow and performance, you will find some pretty lengthy calculations. I found one paper published in 1955, that has pages of calculations using different parameters. My thought on this, is that even simplifying to only looking at Re numbers would yield little difference, when you look at basic fin Re versus the whole board Re (because there is still a volume of the board in the water at all times).

4. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013

A test using hydrofoils would keep the board out of the water long enough to take measurements

5. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    and a cup holder and a dry storage compartment so you don't get pitted...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  6. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Can I have brads?

7. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Good thread but a lot of nerdy stuff being thrown around, you smart guys figure it out for me so I can buy the best possible board / fin setup. Thanks nerds, we need youse guys! Really looking forward to the heated surfboard, could really come in handy here in FL <grin>

8. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I have a 9'0" Mindless longboard that is dark green. It gets sooooo hot. I've had delamination problems. Sometimes I have to hit the shower before paddling out if I have strapped it on the roof. Wax melts fast. It's a heated surfboard. It comes in real handy down here in Florida. And the guy who made it, Eddie Suxberry, is in Melbourne Beach,FL. He has earned his moniker. My daughter won it in a Betty series event 18 years ago. I would never get a dark colored board, but it rides great (single fin, lots of rocker) and free is good.

9. heyzeus

heyzeus Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Considering I've never even seen Roye do a turn, I will take everything he says about finnes with a grane of sault.

10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah, my blue WRV FunFish gets extra hot and has a little delam from the heat, but it still rides out, but I know what you mean. All my other boards are white, probably never get a dark board again honestly, unless of course it's free like you mentioned!

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    To answer your original question, I don't feel a difference in fin performance in cold vs. warm water. I think the fact that a 4' wave in cold water has more power than a 4' wave in warm water (all other factors held constant) overwhelms the difference I would feel in fin performance. For me, it's imperceptible, but there is likely a difference if you took the water flow/fin interaction out of context and looked at only that.

12. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    boom. solved. thread closed

13. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    He always keeps them in his mouth for warmth

Of course he is, did you just meet The Gnome?

It's the lube he uses on his sheep's ass.

Funny!!!

Funnier!!

Funniest!!!

Damn Straight^^^

14. Roy Stuart

Roy Stuart Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Hi Brew

That's not what i'm doing.

To be sure fin drag is only one part of the overall drag but it is significant.

The consequences are not just differences in lift/drag either... the angle of attack capability of the fin is reduced ( in many cases) in more viscous water.

15. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
  16. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Roy was this a rhetorical question you are asking? Are you going to give us the answer at some point but you just wanted to get some discussion on the topic before dropping knowledge on all us simple folk?

17. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    omg this fvcking nerd sh!t

i've changed out my fcs ii's (glass flex vs carbon) and could not tell any difference at all.

none. zero. you can't either. don't even come on here and say you can. i will lose my fvcking mind on you.

also, if you think you something like temp is going to matter you are retardid

18. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    The thread title is a rhetorical question since it is indisputable that water temperature affects fin performance.

The question in the first post is not rhetorical though as I'm interested to know if anyone has experienced or suspected that they might be experiencing such a difference.

There's no magic answer like 'use this fin for warm water and this one for cold' or anything simplistic like that.

19. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    This isn't about fin flex but I'm not surprised.

There's no chance of that since i don't use FCS fins.

It's definitely the case that it makes a significant difference for some fins and flow regimes.

For example in the example given the angle of attack capability is greatly reduced in cold water.

20. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    +1 HAHAHA, water temperature is the first thing I think of when I'm up and riding a wave, it's so important. Too cold? No worries, I'll throw in my FCS TC Aqualines, too warm? I got this, I'll throw in my FCS MF-1's (Mick Fanning's), problems solved!

I thought so, either way, good to see you around, as retarded as you can be (and sometimes not so retarded), it makes for interesting debate and some good ole fashioned hate sessions.