Epoxy sticky after four days

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by JoshuaCJCohen, Oct 18, 2015.

1. JoshuaCJCohen

JoshuaCJCohen Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Hi all,
    I've been working a repair on my SUP after the local shop screwed it up. I'm using a 2:1 epoxy resin set. Mixed it with qcell for the ding, hardened right up. Used it for the fiber paper, hardened right up. I adjusted the mixture for the hot coat 2:1.4 (ish) and four days later it is still sticky. When I sand it beads up on the sandpaper and collects like old wax.

I put it out in the sun but I don't think that will help. Any advice?

Thanks,
    JCJC

2. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    my advice is to throw that ocean cleaning ship away and go become a janitor in a school so your in less peoples way. oh any buy a south board kook?? dont you know what to make a hello threade, people are so rude these days.

3. JoshuaCJCohen

JoshuaCJCohen Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Thanks. Sorry. I'm Josh, i live in Japan. I had a local shop do a repair on a reef scrap and all they did was put some paper over the scrap and throw a ton of resin on top. Looked like a jellyfish got melted to my giant sea clearing paddle board. A few months later the patch cracked at the edge of the paper and was sucking water.

To everyone who is going to help, thank you very much in advance. To those who are unhappy with my first post, I apologize for not living up to your high standards. How did you know I was a janitor? Uncanny.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  4. HaydukeLives!

HaydukeLives! Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    epoxy takes a while to fully cure. What are the temperatures you are glassing at and is there any uv light anywhere?

5. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    It's probably due to adjusting the mixture and might not ever cure. Or you could have had contamination in what ever you mixed it in. Or even dampness or water could mess it up.

Regardless of how it happened- I would advise to sand as much out as you can- and put another coat on top. Mask out the area with tape and make a regular mixture and use a cheap paint brush to apply it. It's a pain- but it has happen to me before and is usually due to what I stated above.

6. JoshuaCJCohen

JoshuaCJCohen Member

Oct 18, 2015
    FP,
    It is mid to high 70s here, lots of humidity. I have it stored out of direct sunlight which I realize might have been a mistake. It got about an hour of evening sun today and I'll give it another hour or two tomorrow. Or would that be a mistake?

Thank you,
    JCJC

7. JoshuaCJCohen

JoshuaCJCohen Member

Oct 18, 2015
  8. garbanzobean

garbanzobean Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Dude, the thing about epoxy resin is that it absolutely will not harden if you get the ratios wrong. That last batch you mixed that was not exactly 2 parts resin to one part hardener will never cure. Scrape it off completely and start again but make sure you get all of the bad batch off. Acetone will help and sand it also if possible. Do not get acetone on the bare foam or it will melt it and you don't want that.

9. mrz1

mrz1 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2014
    direct sunlight is never a good idea for fiberglass. sunlight will not help it cure, the uv will only cause weakening, yellowing. Fiberglassing is a chemical reaction, resign and hardener need the right ratio and mixed properly

10. JoshuaCJCohen

JoshuaCJCohen Member

Oct 18, 2015
    If I understand this correctly only Poly resin can be kicked "hot" by adding extra catalyst? That doesn't work with epoxy at all?

11. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Please follow instructions carefully!
    Exactly!

12. MFCondor

MFCondor Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Well, I mix my epoxy resin hot every time. I prefer it that way. When I say hot I mean the right ratio--with an extra splash. I have never had any issues with a hot mixed epoxy. However, that is just me. I don't know what type of epoxy you are using.

Also, humidity and temperature are a big deal. You said you did some other patches underneath--I know they were hard but were they fully cured and no longer gassing? Did you sand them prior to putting on the hot-coat?

One last thing I do is let the mix "set". I shaped a board a long time ago with a shaper in Florida who told me it was important to always let your mixture set for 15 minutes prior to application. I have always done this but when I use epoxy the set is 10 minutes. I mix the A & B for at least 5 minutes. This might be overkill but I have never had a reason to change it.

Sun exposure will not change anything unless it is a sun activated. It actually might make things worse.

If it is still not curing, scrape and clean off with acetone and try again.

Good Luck

13. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
    Also, Did you completely remove the old patch that shop put on and dry the board out?

If you repaired with a couple patches and they cured and it was cool it may appear fine. however, if the board is exposed to the sun and the foam heats up and the air pressure rises, it will cause any water to find an exit. If saltwater mixed with your resin, even a minute amount -- you'd be out of luck. This might be an issue of timing

14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Polyester resin hardens via catalytic reaction, and you can adjust the amount of catalyst (to a point) without changing the physical properties of the hardened resin, and only affecting cure time. But even with poly you can run into problems if you try to kick it too hot.

Epoxy is not a catalytic reaction... it's a cross linking reaction, where the molecules of the resin and the molecules of the hardener have to be physically mixed together so they can sort of "hold hands" to form a complete chain that cures over time. If each molecule of resin doesn't have a molecule of hardener at each end, the chain is broken and the resin will never set properly. Same thing the other way around... too much hardener means there's hardener molecules that are free floating, so the epoxy never gets to fully cure.

Most epoxies have a "margin of error" that you can still work within, and still get a decent cured product at the end. You've exceeded that margin of error for the epoxy you're using.

15. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Maybe you should try balloon knotting your mixture. Depending on the ratio, this can get messy and the smell can be pretty strong, but once you get it right, you'll feel better

16. MFCondor

Nov 30, 2013
    So horrible Z. So Horrible...

17. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    True story here.....About 10 years ago I shaped and glassed a board for a friend using RR epoxy...calls for 2:1 ratio. I mixed 24 total ounces for the deck lamination, glassed it and hours later when it was still slightly gooey I knew something was horribly wrong and realized I had used 18 oz. resin/6 oz. hardener. So 3:1 OOPS!

Turned up the heat in my shed and let the board sit for a couple days, went ahead and hot coated it knowing it still felt soft to me but whatever, told my friend to let me know if there were any issues but left it at that not wanting to bum him out.

10 years later, he still tells me its fine...it was a fish, so the 6/4 deck lam probably helps.

18. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Yes- only poly (as stated above) can be mixed hot. It will actually get hot. Keep in mind that a hot mix vs regular will not be as strong in the long run. You gotta mix epoxy as per spec.

Also you mentioned about doing a repair right before dark. I have noticed that the issue you had can also result from doing a repair OUTSIDE right before dark and letting it set outside for an hour or two info dusk/dark. The dew or something can get everything wet and moist- thus the bad cure. Always being the board in before that time.

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I mis-measured an epoxy hotcoat once and it never cured. Ended up scraping off what I could, used distilled vinegar to remove even more, then re-hotcoated over top of that. The surface hotcoat cured, but there were a few pinholes in the top hotcoat (likely from bubbles) that would ooze out uncured goo when the board got hot.

Epoxy is weird stuff. So many variables that can make things go wrong.

20. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Joshua, you are a very kind man for coming to this forum for advice on your jellyfish resin thingy. The kind we don't like! Prease paddle out in giant nuclear waste filled slop with a go pro and send us video and then die. Bonzai mofo!