Best Winter Wetsuit and surfing tips for New England

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by toofun, Nov 9, 2015.

1. toofun

toofun Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    OK So I have made the decision that I am gonna try and balance some surfdays with some ski days this winter but since I am new to it, gotta ask some questions that may be repetitive to some but still....

1. Best wetsuit to get? I have a 4/3 that I wear from Spring to mid summer and am now wearing again for Nov but with the water temp dropping I am thinking I am not gonna last with it. I also have a set of 5 mm patagonia boots and gloves. What brand or line is best. I hear a lot of good things about the Oneil Pyrotech.

2. Board wax... I always use the cold wax from Sticky bumps on my board year round in Newenglad but is there a specific wax people use? Do you worry about ice forming on the board at all?

3. Protection for your face? So I Know a hoodie is a requirement but what about the rest of your face? Is there something you put on it to protect it from the icy cold water? Vaseline or some other product?

4. I live about 35 minutes to the closest break and I know there are no changing stations. What tips do you have for getting in and out of your stuff for winter surfing?

5. How long do you usually last in the water during the winter? Sounds like a silly question I know but is the gear good enough to make it through a normal session?

Thanks in advance!

2. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

3. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I'll give my opinion:

I have a 5/3 Rip Curl Dawn Patrol that I used last winter and had no problems. 5mm Xcel Drylock gloves, 5mm Rip Curl Flashbomb boots and a 2mm Rip Curl hood. Water temps dipped to low 30's, maybe slightly lower and air temp wasn't too bad. One day we had 25 mph winds and air temps were in the teens, I surf OCMD, then left and came back to DE and surfed. That day cold set in and I only stayed out for about 45 minutes. Most of the days, I was out about 2.5 to 3.5 hours before cold finally set in.

I use Sticky Bump cold water wax

I don't put anything else on my face, just my hood. I have heard of some dudes putting on Vaseline, but I don't know if that is just a joke or serious.

HA HA HA HA HA, winter changing is fun. Some days its horrible and others it's not so bad. My tip, dry clothes as fast as possible. Bring a ski cap or something and work your way down with dry clothing.

Definitely not as fun as a day trip to the mountain where after you are done, you leave your gear on and go hang out in the lodge for a bit and have a beer. LOL

4. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Changing stations?

Are you Canadian or something? French Canadian?

Your car is your changing station. Jeez, you people really be boggled by the wetsuite. I've never seen anything like it.

People on here claim to surf all day in winter - with brief interruptions for vodka - but I don't buy it. The all day surf sessions that is. I do buy vodka.

You don't need face protection. A rough, dry, winter face is part of the allure. Grow some facial hair.

Hell, why not get a Patagonia 5 mil? They're, like, special or something. Well, with a name like Smucker's ... it has to be good. Right?

No ice will form on your board unless you are Peter Pan and a a camera is near. And a two foot swell is hitting Town Beach...never seen that guy on anything over two foot. Be risky with wax. Try it all out.

Wind is the enemy on session length. Only ten or so days a year are worth more than two hours at a time anyway. Move to Sand Diego and surf Swami's this winter. Gonna be epic, brah. No hood or gloves, either. You'll have to ax aboot sunscreen advice.

Just go and do. Don't research everything on the computer. Live by trial and error.

5. arby

arby Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    ha ha, i thought the same thing

6. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    I like Riley's response...but I'll bite on this as well...

Your welcome...but I again would refer you to Riley's comments...

7. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    *disclaimer* I live in NC, where the water only gets down to a balmy 45 degrees in the winter.

Staying warm is all about a solid routine. I drive a compact car so I have to get dressed in the elements. Like I said, I'm in NC so the coldest we get is 25 degree air and 45 degree water. To me that's pretty f'ing cold.

1)I surf 12 months a year, but I've been called a kook on here because I don't surf in cold enough water... so no wetsuite advice here.

2)Sticky Bumps is the only wax

3)frozen boogers are cool!

4) Here's what I do to keep warm: Blast heat on the way to the beach, you never want to start cold. Keep your socks and jacket on while putting on the bottom half of your suit, work your way up. After surfing, start the car and turn on the heat FIRST! Use the AC so you you have the driest, hottest, air possible. Put on a beanie and as soon as you get the suit off your shoulders put on your shirt and jacket. Work the suit off and pull on your trousers. By this point your car is warm so hop in and put on the shoes and socks.

Some people bring hot water but I surf before and after work so its not doable for me.

5) I usually go until I can't cup my hands to paddle. Many factors play into this. If its consistent I tend to last longer because my blood keeps pumping. Sessions are shorter than summer mostly because of the shorter days.

here's to un-crowded winter conditions!

8. pinkstink

pinkstink Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    I used vaseline on my face once. It was the morning after my wedding. February. There was a Noreaster so the wind was blowing 20 knots and air temp was about 20. Water temp was mid 30s. It works but getting it off your face ain't no fun.

As far as changing stations, just remember Towelie's sage wisdom. Otherwise you might end up mooning some beach walkers on their way to their car...also not fun.

9. toofun

toofun Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Well thanks for all the replys so far. I recently lost 25 lbs and am now down to a lean 200 maybe I should have waited for the spring to do that since the extra fat may have kept me warmer but the extra boost I get from not lugging around 25Lbs is a good trade off in my opinion.

10. therealjrjr

therealjrjr Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    My 2 Cents:

Get a 5 mil wetsuit with hood, brand is not of importance. Fit is everything.

Cold water wax is cold water wax is cold water wax is cold water wax is cold water wax is cold water wax is cold water wax.

I get ice cream headache so bad now i feel like I'm going to puke. I hate it and i wish there were a way to avoid it. Put the hood on and suck it up. Nothing has ever helped.

Get one of those old school football sideline jacket things. I always say i am going to get one.

Water time is a direct function of quality of waves, water temp, air temp and wind. Max i stay out when it is below freezing with more than brisk wind and good waves is about 2.5 hours. By then, i am hyperthermic(sp) and a danger to myself and others. My feet are nubs of numb flesh and my hands wont grip enough to get my wetsuit off. horrible.

11. titsandpits

titsandpits Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    and no that extra 25 you lost youll be thankful after paddling around it rubber.. lol i kinda do the oppsite and try and lose the most weight for the winter cause i know a soaking wet 5 mil is gonna bog me down

12. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    I can't wait to see how small my weenis can be againe.

13. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Laughing my fockin arse off!!!

14. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    You shoulda seen how hard my woman laughed when she first rode with me for a winter sesh.

15. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Dudes, if you're over 18 and putting Vaseline on your face you might as well move to West Hollywood and spend your time in motel rooms with the locals...and some Tina.

You know, I just can't tolerate anything less than Smirnoff quality these days. These New Amsterdam things are like Kasser's - gasoline.

Can't hack that stuff no more.

Kids never get old. Stay young at swig Kasser's with abandon and surf Swami's. "We'll be at Sunset Cliffs by sunrise .." or something like that.

16. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Riley what about that other kind...Beckers or somethin?

17. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Correct spelling : wetsuite

18. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    The hardest thing and most to be concerned with from all your question is about changing OUT of your wetsuit.

Changing in your car is a mess and hard to do, unless you have a van or some room.

There are two options: change there or drive home in your stinking wetsuit and change in your basement or shower.

If you change there- two things you need in the cold: 1. Something to stand on to change (a tarp, piece of plastic or an old door mat works great. Ho Stevie also sells something) your already chilly and wet feet will freeze on the cold pavement. 2. Some kinda changing Togo or robe. Fcs makes one- but not really too warm. Use it to change then get on your cloths asap

Also- a good trick it to start your truck right when you get in and turn up the heat- so by the time your done changing it will start to get warm.

It's really not that bad at all. With a new suit you could surf for a few hours

19. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    Idk if you can find these in stock- maybe send the guy an email he is a nice guy.

But if you drive with a wet wetsuite - this is a must have

http://www.zipha.com

20. toofun

toofun Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Yea that is a good idea but looks like they are out of stock. Do you know how much they cost? Looks like the same material as a mattress protector... terry cloth on the outside and waterproof liner on the inside. You can get a set of twin mattress protectors for 24 bucks online and cut it in half but would rather get it all done and sewn. Good tip though