Good 5mil for New England Winter

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by trevolution, Nov 16, 2015.

1. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Yup so this is probably like the 50th thread about this type of thing, but I wanted to give you guys the opportunity to make swell info history by posting in one of the most redundant threads of all time ! :cool:

I have a decent 4 mil thats getting too cold for this time of year. I also have an old 6 mil i use for dead winter, but I want a good inbetween suit that can get me through at least one New England winter as a new suit, before being put on the back burner as a cold weather shoulder season (not jan feb march) suite.

Price range $200-$350 and a hooded 5 mil.

Something that is capable of surfing from jersey to nova scotia in the dead of winter.

Also no excells because despite everyone loving them I have had terrible experiences with their suites and will never buy another. Thanks.

2. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    If you have $4 mil why don't you use it to move someplace warmer? You'll never need a wetsuite again!

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I got a freshie O'neill 6/5/4 last winter and love it...I forget the model name, but it's all done up got it from wetsuite warehouse for like 300 dorrar.

4. HaydukeLives!

HaydukeLives! Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    go oneil, you might be able to score last years pyrotech for that price range

5. titsandpits

titsandpits Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    best bet is to try whiskeymilitia.com if your tied down on funds your not going to find a good suit in that range unless you go to a sale, a whiskey similar website, email the company saying how you aint got the dough(come up with something clever) or steal it

6. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I wear nothing but rip curl. Hate excel. Like you Iv just had bad experiences. You could probably get last year's model or whatever for fairly cheap of you know where to look.

7. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Always buy 5 mils(at surf shops) in March or April. They are anxious to get rid of them.

Buying the suite at the beginning of the cold season makes it a seller's market.

Buy your Rip Curl T-shirts in October

Buy your Billabong flannels in June.

8. Barry bottomfeeder

Barry bottomfeeder Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Wetsuit wearhouse
    Cleanlines
    Both have decent prices for last years and sometimes the year before
    Ripcurl is my choice.
    I have a billabong 654 and its warm but a major hassle to get in n out of
    Oneill n ripcurl were easiest Ive used to get in n out plus kept me warm all winter long. Plus super flexible

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I have a Ripcurl 5ml Insulator I got 3 years gone by.
    Works even in the coldest temps.
    Easy on, easy off.
    Has lasted in good shape.

10. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012

ripcurl seems to be the way to go for quality over quantity. Its worth shellin out the extra dough i spose.

anybody got some real stinker suits to stay away from?

11. Mattyb

Mattyb Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Go to cleanlines.com I got a 5.5/4.5 rip ebomb for like 230$ in 2013. After maybe two winters with a lot of use its wearing in the groin area, seals going. But I'm getting another. Real happy with it and it's comfy

12. Mattyb

Mattyb Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Cleanlinesurf.com, sorry

13. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    Jeez, none of y'all support your local surf shops, huh?

14. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Get all my winter stuff @ Cleanline in Seaside, all of last year's top stuff at up to 50% off. Stay away from Quiksilver, Billabong and Hyperflex

15. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    http://www.whiskeymilitia.com/wm/private_stash/12623
    There are 3 Hooded suites on there right now. I've only experienced West Lotus 5 Mil - Still got it after 7 years. I only use it once or twice a year when I come back to NJ

16. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    Is this the real Scobeyville?

That was pretty clever with the "II"

17. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    dude cleanline is local! its in the PNW and theres no sales tax. I bought my last board there on trade in

18. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Real.Deal.Holyfield

19. 3rdperson

3rdperson Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2014
    I buy from this guy alot

hbc6.com

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I am with you on Quicksilver and Hyperflex, but Billabong, I did have a good 4/3 years ago. Still have it.