In Outer Banks..Now what? lol

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by NSsurfer, Jul 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. NSsurfer

NSsurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    So i've finally arrived in OBX, However i arrived to knee high swell.

My Buddy rented a SUP, and i was cruising around on that this morning, had some fun but want more swell.

I decided against bringing my shortboard as the forecast showed nothing, so I'm going to rent a longboard.

Right now i'm in Corolla. Staying until Saturday

What do you guys suggest my best plan of attack should be to get the best surfing out of my stay?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. surfskibum

surfskibum Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Buxton and Frisco are a little far but it looks like you could see some waist to stomach in the next couple of days if you make the drive down there.

3. C.Brook

C.Brook Member

May 12, 2009
    its july best bet go south to HI 2 hours either side of lo tide

4. StuckinVA

StuckinVA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    The swell never gets better than knee high in OBX. You should ignore the hype and forget it exists and stay in Ocean City or DE.

5. NSsurfer

Jan 8, 2009
    how long a drive is from corolla to frisco?

6. WhiteTrashMatt.com

WhiteTrashMatt.com Member

Mar 26, 2009
    2 hours....hang a left onto 12 south, go over the bridge, you'll pass through salvo/waves then you'll come into avon (blink and miss it) then about another 20 minutes you'll come up to frisco pier on your left..... i

watch for bull sharks, I heard theyre out in plenty this summer, but still a fun spot.

either side of the pier breaks decent, even when its knee high, it's still fun to longboard or SUP.

while you're down there, stop in Natural Art and say whats up to Scott Busby, he's a damn good shaper and a good guy to talk to about surfing in general.

7. BonerSurfs

BonerSurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Mini Golf... or there is sick skatepark at the YMCA in Nags Head

8. NSsurfer

Jan 8, 2009
    Thanks, I think im going to head down to frisco pier early tomorrow am. Check out spots on the way down,

In search of the waist high waves!! aha

9. StuckinVA

StuckinVA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Not the time of year for frisco. skunked.

10. berger

berger Member

Jun 25, 2009
    only place there are waves are in kinnakeet.

11. OBXsurfer4life

OBXsurfer4life New Member

Jul 5, 2009
    you should come down here in the fall when there is real waves

at least we get better waves than you kooks in virginia beach

12. intheeye

intheeye Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    the south side might get decent today but it's going to depend on when the wind switches and how hard it blows. you'll have to be on it when it happens though.

13. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Outer Banks may be the most consistent area on the east coast... But in summer, everywhere is susceptible to the flat spells. From what I know, Corolla doesn't generally pick up swells like the areas to the south.

14. drglas

drglas Active Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I'm looking out the window at Frisco Pier and the surrounding area right now. Looks like it's gonna be a great day if it cleans up. Few days ago was firing too. Next couple should be alright - stay around the pier, avoid the inexperienced longboarders, and have some fun.

15. vb2obx

vb2obx New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    dude you should have been in the obx a week ago. Wednesday 6/24 was shoulder high barrels at S-Turns.

anyone who says the east coast doesn't have waves is lying. you just gotta wait for the right swell and the obx is a great place for different swell and wind directions.

unfortunately you decided to plan you surf trip to the OBX in the summer...come around in the winter or early fall and then you'll be satisfied.

check out this surfline feature about the swell from last week:
    http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/off-season-noreaster-kicks-up-fun-surf-on-the-east-coast_27963/1/