Front zip suite.... holy crap!

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Zeroevol, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Okay, so I just bought my first front zip suite. (Rip Curl Flash Bomb) Holy sheet, what a pain in the azz to get in and out of. I guess it will get easier as I get used to it. I know some you fellers swear by them, so I'm excited to see what all the hub bub is about.

2. sandyhooksurfer

sandyhooksurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2014
    they are a challenge getting in , especially if the suit is wet ... getting out is easier if you take it off in the shower..let the water break the suction between your skin and the suit .. but you tend not to get flushed like a back zip so the struggle is worth it .

3. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Thanks for the tips, SandyH. I assumed it will get easier as I get used to it.

4. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Getting out can be a pain. I have broad shoulders and sometimes getting that first arm out is tough. Getting in there is a trick my bro taught me. Hard to explain on the web but I'll try:

Pull suit up to waist as high as possible and fold down. Position each arm of suit by pulling inside out a bit. Get right hand in as deep as possible and then wiggle left hand in as deep too. All in one motion bend at waist while pulling right arm on and shift to left pulling on and standing up straight.

Just read what I typed and sounds totally jacked but that is the trick and it works... Just takes a few times to get your timing down

5. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    ha yeah I totally agree. My daily suit has been chest zip for a few years. This past summer (that's when I buy wetsuites) I decided I was over it and got a back zip.

After wearing it a couple times i'm back to my old chest zip. it lets in way less water. Now I have a brand new suite that i never wear...

You're right, it does get eaiser once you do it a few times. I find that pacing in a circle and cursing to the high heavens help too

Cheers homie!

6. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Yeah, I understand. I will def try that! Thanks, J

Ha ha ha, yup, figured that was gonna happen and help.

7. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Dudes, a wetsuite shouldn't be a hassle to get on and off, if it's like that, go a different route. You'll be tired before you even hit the water if you're struggling that much lol, and who wants to battle with their suite when they're exhausted from a long session?

8. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Oh shut up DP, do you even use a wetsuite down there? LOL

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I did yesterday morning lol, was nippy at sunrise but got warm and ended up in board shorts in the afternoon

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

"nippy"?? This morning it was 35*F, water 45*F.
    We consider that a heat-wave this time of year.......

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I know Barry, I know. I really didn't need it, just felt like wearing it for the 1st time this season, gonna need it soon.

13. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Well, enjoy it--you are in a nice area to be a surfer.
    Up here, surfers consider themselves "hardy". Nice, but if only they could actually surf....

14. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Agreed, it was gorgeous out yesterday, water felt great even in shorts. I want to surf your area one of these days though. I'm not afraid of the cold, been frost bitten before lol

So there is this dolphin that has been after me, he jumped RIGHT next to me two days ago after he rode a set wave in right in front of me, this same dolphin almost knocked me out once before just down the road from the same spot. Yeah it's him, I never forget a face. He is huge up close and if he landed on me by accident I would still be sleeping.

15. HoStevie

HoStevie Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    I definitely prefer back zip over front zip... I have a Psycho III back zip and Xcel front zip, and I swear the Xcel lets more water in. And is definitely more of a pain to get on and off.

16. Barry bottomfeeder

Barry bottomfeeder Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Havent bought a suite in a while. I have a front zip which feels like im gonna break it wide open when i get to my shoulders. I hate that suite, used it 2xs. Basically brand new 654 for $100 if anyone needs. Ive been using a no zip for years. I love that suit and its no struggle getting on or off. Its a rip curl ultimate elasto

17. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    lol that's exactly what I do,take the suit off in the shower.i used a front zip once,when I rented one back in 09 from unlimited surf in lbi.i was not a fan,but I only had it for a week.definitly a pain to get into but I think its like that with all winter suites.like I have a back zip 4/3 and its a biatch getting in and out of,especially when ur changing outside in 30 degree air temps.and the Velcro from the neck always seems to get stuck to the inside after I finally get the suit completely on.also the back of my neck is well exposed and its impossible to keep water from getting in but again it doesn't affect me.

18. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009

19. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Did it feel tight like that in the shop? My experience with 5 mil chest zips is they feel really hard to get in and out of in the shop, but after just one or two sessions if they are sized properly its pretty easy.

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest