OBX trip

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by mexsurfer, Jul 11, 2009.

1. mexsurfer

mexsurfer Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Im taking my son to the outer banks for his birthday this august. Does anyone know any good spots? Were staying at Frisco woods. I know people dont like giving away their spots but if no one wants to tell me, then we'll just surf at Frisco Pier. But it would be good to know some spots.

2. StuckinVA

StuckinVA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Unless you have a 4X4, The Frisco Pier is probably your best bet to surf. Don't forget to check the old Buxton lighthouse jettys for waves too (no 4X4 required). It's a crowded spot but is a good option to check if Frisco is flat. It's about a 15 minute drive from Frisco.

As for places south of Frisco, there are plenty of places as you head towards Hatteras village, but you have to hunt for them. Just keep an eye out for a lot of cars pulled to the side of the road with empty surfboard roof racks and stickers. Keep in mind that if there is any decent swell at all, you can pretty much surf anywhere since there are sandbars all up and down the shoreline from Frisco to Hatteras Village. Good luck.

3. drglas

drglas Active Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Well said. Frisco Pier is the place you wanna go during the Summer if you're in Frisco - especially now that it's been closed down for renovations. It's really nice to not have to worry about fishermen while you're trying to get barrel haha...

4. brycebishard

brycebishard Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Frisco

I recommend staying at a different campground if possible. Buxton Woods might be a good one if yall are set on surfing so far south. Avoiding Frisco is typically a good idea no matter what time of year. It's extremely fickle and doesn't get good often. Even south swells are 99% of the time better somewhere north.

5. drglas

drglas Active Member

Jun 14, 2009
    well it depends on the wind. there are times when Frisco is firing but Buxton and up is completely flat. occupational hazard of surfing OBX in the Summertime...but yeah, most consistent stuff seems to happen north. I'll always love Frisco though, I can sit out by that pier for hours lol...

6. StuckinVA

Jul 23, 2007

No doubt. Frisco is one of the best places, great sandbars (at least where I go) especially in the Fall. A north wind really cleans the place up. But yeah, heed his advice and stay away... all the more for me.:cool:

7. drglas

drglas Active Member

Jun 14, 2009
    haha I've been surfing those bars since I started learning to surf, and sponging way before that. such a great place to be.

8. locals are lazy

locals are lazy Member

May 26, 2008
    buxton woods has shade,the most important commodity when camping.Frisco is the most fickle spot here(hatteras island).rodanthe ,pea island on the north end of hatteras island is good at times,30 minutes or so from buxton.the bars have been better at lower tides this summer so get a tide chart.the jetties have been all right at lower tides as well.keep a friendly attitude,don't surf at the "main spot",that includes the rest of you people as well!
    you are there on vacation,remember someone lives here year-round!shop local(not wings,food lion,wal-mart,etc.)and support the Outer Banks(and all beaches and towns) by picking up some trash that you DID NOT leave!leave it better than when you came,it matters! Love,
    Locals Are Lazy

9. drglas

drglas Active Member

Jun 14, 2009

haha man I feel you. I may not be a full-time local, but I've been traveling to Frisco since I was born (21 years now). The past 4 or 5 I've been living 3+ months there...Conners, Red & White, all about the local places...worked at Kaia's Kitchen/Martha Jane's for a while. I'd rather be on Hatteras Island than anywhere else on any given day. I know most people may consider me a tourist still, I know what it's all about - I respect the place I most like to be!

10. mexsurfer

Jul 14, 2008
    Too bad, im building a wooden Retro Fish and its not going to be ready for OBX, that sucks, but still pumped to be going there.

11. StuckinVA

Jul 23, 2007
    No doubt, even if there are no waves, it's still a great place to relax. going late next week with my 4 week old daughter and the wife. Should be interesting but I don't care, I gotta get in the water even if its flat.

12. mexsurfer

Jul 14, 2008
    were not going if its flat though, but were bringing a longboard too, so thats good