wetsuite review

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by cepriano, Jan 30, 2016.

1. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    http://www.park2peak.com/O-Neill-He...Hood-Men-s-p/oneillheat65412.htm?1=1&CartID=1

I'm looking at the 6/5/4 oneill heat brand,suit looks good,i seen this same suit on 3 different sites ranging from 380 on wetsuitwarehouse and this is the cheapest I found,also they have my size.never had an oneill suit,id imagine its way better and lasts longer than my current hyperflex...

anyway water is too cold for my 4/3,went out during the week and it just wasn't happening lol.so if anyone had an oniell let me know how they are and how long they last.now that the sun stays up a bit longer I can actually get out to surf after work for an hour or 2.idk,debating on buying this suit asap,i couldn't find any good local shops that had a 6/5/4 for under 400 bucks,id rather buy it online for cheaper

2. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    I've never had the suit, but I have the Oneill 7mm Heat boots right now. It's definitely not Drylock quality, Heat is their cheaper line. They do the job though. A little large, so they let water in, but my feet stay toasty nonetheless.

Good job on making it this far with the 4/3, I bailed on it weeks ago.

3. cepriano

Apr 20, 2012
    that's another suite I was looking at on a different site for a dif price.cheaper there,how are the xcels?im just worried on durability,how long they last.i take good care of my suites,i had my hyperflex 4/3 for probably 3 yrs now,recent tear in the knee but fixed it with neoprene glue.i don't want to dish out the doe for a suit that starts falling apart after a few times in the water

4. cepriano

Apr 20, 2012
    I got the 4/3 but I also have 7m booties on and 6m gloves,along with a separate 5m hood.water got in but it kept me pretty warm pretty far but the temps are falling and the waves keep comin

5. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Agree with Joe

Seshday is where it's at.

I just ordered a xcel 6/5/4 Infiniti for 190. Originally 260 but if you sign up for emails, they send out 25% off anything from time to time.

It looks like they are getting low on the variation of sizes tho.

Also- seshday is a great company to deal with. Very nice and helpful. I had to return a suite since it was the wrong size- no extra charge and they even put aside the size I wanted until they received the return

As far as a review for the suite- I love it. It's worth every penny and more. Perfectly warm and flex able and light enough for my liking. Better then my previous 6 mil. Feels like a 5 mil actually. I was sceptic cause it's the cheapest suite but I like it better then my 4/3 drylock.
    The drylock had too many useless features like the wrists. Same fabric and construction tho.

6. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    Btw I don't know if you knew, but the water in BELMAR does
    Not drop below 60, due to the laboradors.

It's always Summer in Belmar

7. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    I had an Xcel 6/5/4 Infiniti. Durability was decent; seams were taped on the inside only. But damn that thing was thick and heavy. It did the job for a few seasons.

The new ones seem to have the 'TDC' technology, whatever that means. If it has a lining, and some newer/thinner neoprene, you'll be good. It's definitely warm enough.

8. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    I think the TDC is a new lining. It's got a fleece lining and doesn't feel as thick and bulky. The lining is only in the torso area, but I think that's the only place they would put 6 mil, the rest is 4 or 5 on the arms

What you discribed is exactly how I felt about my old suite! I think the technology is just getting a lot better. May not really need a 6 mil this year anyways. The water doesn't seem to be dropping to the high 30's but seems to be hanging out at the low 40's

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

TDC means "Till death comes"??

10. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Just picked up a 4/3 Flashbomb and so far the suite has been great!

11. 1vin

1vin Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    I think alot has to do with the fit. Oneill suits fit me well I have been eyeing the psycho tech for some time now . the heat is a good suit but like most things you get what you pay for.Oneill has come out with this newer rubber tecnobutter 2 wich is supposed to be lighter faster dryin .seems like every company has there own version of what is the next best thing. so its easy to get confused.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  12. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    you're pretty much looking at both xcel's and oneill's entry level suits. I've owned both brands in varying thicknesses over the years and they're both pretty decent. I would agree with what others said about being thick and a little heavy, but you're also talking about a 6 mil. So anything you get is going to be bulkier and less flexible. I think it's reasonable to expect 3 or 4 seasons out of either brand - at least that's been my experience, and I take care of my suits (rinse them out with fresh water and all that crap). I would go with price as neither is significantly better than the other.

13. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

14. cepriano

Apr 20, 2012
    3 or 4 years would be fine.i only got like 1 surf shop in a 30 mile radius,the other 2 never came back after sandy and this place sells top of the line suits that start off at 500.too much coin for me.

my very first wetsuit I bought lol,was/is a ron jon 3/2,i got it new.that was around 2006 or so but I still have this suit to this day and its still in good shape and I honestly never took care of it.at the end of the summer it usually stays in a bag in my trunk til late fall when I break out the 4/3 il take the 3/2 out and hang it in the house.

I always took good care of my winter gear tho,shyts expensive,i had the same booties and gloves for 4 years,still in great shape.my last winter suit was a hyperflex 5/4 but that kicked the bucket last year,so I been using the 4/3 since then and occasionally rent a 6/5 for some swells.hyperflex is good,itll keep u warm,but they don't last for shyt.i guess u get what u pay for.

I think I'm going to go with the xcel.its cheaper then the suit I was looking at,i spent a lot of money recently on car troubles and other bs so the bank account is a little low lol,i wouldn't mind spending 400 on a suit but by the time I can blow 400, the winter will be over

15. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    Hey I had one of those Ron Jon suits too!! But it was about 5 yrs earlier that I got it in 2000- lasted for ever and was in still good condition when I got ride of it. It was just really tacky colors... And seams where not taped.

I will look for you this summer in your Ron Jon!!

16. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    Yes that's right! The dog beach! They have warm pee....

17. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Sounds like a good plan. My only other suggestion would be to go to your local surf shop and try an xcel suit on to make sure the fit is good.

18. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Just got the AG/47 3/2 and it's unreal how warm this thing is. Tested it out in 50 degree water with 30 degree air back home in NC and was burning up. I had quicksilver written off but since cleanline was out of the oneil I wanted I went with them. Not regretting it.

19. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    got a 4/3 flashbomb for this winter and I haven't even been cold in it yet. it's my favorite suite I've had so far. more flexible than xcel, cheaper, and it dries super fast. think im going to stick to ripcurl. its just my ****ty gloves and boots that are making me cold... water is around 41-45 here in vb.