DC to OMCD

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Slashdog, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Looks like the Northeast is poised for a healthy shot of swell and clean winds this week! Naturally, then, I've got to travel for work.

I'll be spending the week in the ambitious, amoral, and asshole-filled city known as Washington DC. I'll have a few days off, and my boss surfs.

Wednesday is out of the question due to work, so we're considering a run to OCMD on Thursday.

What do you guys think? Early morning Thursday looks kinda fun, if a bit wonky. I don't know the area well, so it's hard for me to tell if the wind direction and speed will equal bumpy fun, or blown out/sectiony crap. Could it be worth the near three-hour drive?

Feel free to PM me advice if you don't want to post up specifics.

I'll be staying just south of the National Mall, so any recommendations of skatespots/bars/punk shows are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Please excuse the 'OMCD' typo in the title. I know what it's really called. I swear to got.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. johhnyutah

johhnyutah Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Hard to tell if you are serious or not. Coincidentally, I will be traveling to the Eastern Shore of VA and am pondering if the swell may be conducive for my old, and out of shape ass to catch a few waves Thursday morning. Wind direction plays a huge role for us out here. If there's a bit more north than west, we tend to be screwed, but if there's a bit more west than north, it can get really good. Welcome to our world, bro. It's all good.

3. DrPin

DrPin Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Just what Utah said, if the wind goes too north (which it usually does), def not worth it.

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Three hour drive??
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!
    aaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

And that is one way??
    Then 3 hr drive back???

Aaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!!!!

Now that is funny; absolutely hilarious. "Enjoy!"

5. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Paging Mitchell, Paging Mitchell

6. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Skate freedom plaza. You should be pretty close. As for the surf. Thursday doesn't look like the wind will cooperate. Weds in OCMD or Thurs in South Jerz.

7. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Don't try so hard.. your trolling is starting to get bland

8. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Generally speaking the day "after" a swell like this is 95% chance of block long knee to waist high closeouts. 2.5 to 3 @ 12 on the model is an affirmation of this thought. Oh not to mention it will probably be sub 30 with 20 mph NW wind. Don't expect much. As a tip, your best bet on a NE return swell from a fleeing storm is any block north of Seacrets. Good luck.

9. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Those winds will not be favorable. Maybe Chincoteague? The other thing to consider, though, is this is the East Coast so it will change with every forecast update.

10. Pure Surfing

Pure Surfing Active Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Your boss surfs and he won't go Wednesday when it's gonna be pumping? What a ****! LOL

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You mean....back to school for me??
    Naw....just needling slash a bit; wtf, he needles me all the time!

12. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Z is correct: the guy who has OCMD dialed in is def Mitchell. Whether he cares to share, well, who can say.

I'll take a shot at it. Swell direction and wind. Both are pretty important. You can dial up the angle the OCMD beach faces on MSW, then get the swell direction from several resources, and the wind from windguru, and then decide. Quick glance at Thursday shows swell ESE 110 degrees or thereabouts - - so, it might be more closed out than you'd like. Because OC faces slightly southeast. It's a bit better when ESE from 120-150, 160 degrees = more peeling faces. I'm def not anywheres to the knowledge; just a couple bits from experience.

You want the wind offshore or calm. Looks to be 320 degrees or so, which is ok, might even stand up some waves for you. Hope you score, Slash.

Freedom Plaza is good to skate, as already mentioned. 930 Club has good music. Lots to see & do locally that won't involve the political asshats that America pollutes metro-DC with. My mandatory stop for out of towners is The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Changing of the Guard. If people don't appreciate life & liberty after that visit, they never will.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  13. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Ok- so I usually just surf the best break on the east coast (Belmar) so I have limited knowledge of the area.

What I have found in my travels (have not been down there in the last few years tho) is that ocmd sandbars stink. You'll drive around for hours trying to find something that is not closingout on the beach. If you go there- PM Mitchell to find the spots that have been good.

Locals- feel free to correct me if I am wrong, like I said, it's been years.

There is a place (I forget the name) just north of ocmd about 20 min- on the other side of this big bridge /inlet that has waves. If the wind is south it should block the wind chop.

If I was you and the wind/waves where favorable- (wave size with off shore winds) then I would head to the place on the map right south of ocmd. It has sand bars more like island state beach park in nj.

14. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    You could also PM gruvi- he knows the area and maybe will even meet you there to show you around. Might even get a free pizza out of it

15. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    That place closed a long time ago

16. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    +1

Too many windowless white vans in the parking lots. Park Service shut it down.

17. Clowns-r-Us

Clowns-r-Us Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Heh.

Some good hints on this tread Slash. Theres been some sand moving around, theres likely to be a bar or 3 working. Trouble is finding them.

Speaking of awesome sandbars, hey honorable delegate of that one spot to Rule them All, Mr. BELMAR -hows things looking up in jerz for this one?

18. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Thanks for all the info/encouragement guys! It might be a gamble, but I've definitely traveled further and gotten skunked.

My boss bought a board at Malibu surf shop a long time ago. He said they take a picture of everyone who buys a board there, and keep it in a big book. So there's that to check out. Plus, a high of 38 is a nice day at the beach for February. Saturday (63!) is looking like a warm and beautiful day to skate around the city.

Looking at the swell direction and google earth, the possibility of closeouts does indeed seem real. Barrier island sandbars look the same as up here; short lived and transient, without the aid of jetties/points.

For now, the wind has a strong northerly component. I'm hoping that changes. If not, maybe I'll just skate the Capitol building in my Burka. What could go wrong?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  19. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    SlashDog, if ya come over this weekend hit me up, i'll paddle out with ya either at that closed place or OC. Looks like we are getting a little bump this weekend

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

In your Burka?? Obama would invite you in to the White House and welcome you as a long lost brother.
    In a speedo thong, however, you would be hanged for offending the "prophet".......