Have you killed for your dinner?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by LazyE, Mar 2, 2016.

1. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    This tread was inspired by Archy's tread on eating cat.

How many of ya'll have actually slaughtered an animal for your dinner? I think a lot of people are so far removed from the process of slaughtering and butchering their meat that they tend to forget where their meal comes from which encourages waiste. (IMHO) Growing up in my day lots of folks farmed ,raised live stock, hunted and fished for a large portion of their meat and veggies. Nothing went to waist, nothing!. It was part of life. Not so much now.

Discuss

2. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Lazy, this may get interesting as a topic. You bring up a great point that I totally agree with you on...people are so spoiled with today's conveniences that waste is commonplace. Especially when it comes to meat/seafood.

I have a freezer full of fish and venison. I try to garden and over the years I have had decent success.

Nothing more gratifying than hunting/fishing for game and taking the care from field/ocean to table (IMHO). Can you imagine today's society trying to lead a subsistence lifestyle....it would be complete chaos.

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Yes lazy, I have, I don't criticise chinaman for the sake of criticising the chinaman.

I ate pheasants I shot, fish i caught, and I worked as a lobsterman for 10 years.

Anything I've 'harvested', I killed as quickly as possible.

Factory farming is cruel, yes. But we don't believe that torturing animals makes them taste better like the chinaman. We're not pressuring threatened species because we think their balls are a love potion.

Any restaurant serving shark fin soup should be fire-bombed.

4. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I have gone hunting twice, didn't get anything. Not really into it. The day I can't go to the grocery store and pick up a steak or some chicken or some swine, then i'll kill my own. I used to first mate buddies boat for off shore fishing. I had so much tuna in my freezer I actually threw some out. I still eat some fish I catch, but mostly just fish for sport

5. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    This sounds like BS but it's not. When I went back to school with a wife and two kids and zero $, We ate pretty much what I shot. I remember going out on a Saturday, shooting two rabbits and and for dinner we had rabbit, carrots and potatoes; my in-laws bought us a freezer so I could store venison in it.
    We had a garden and canned veggies.
    We still garden.
    One of my sons is a real hunter and gatherer. He gardens, and hunts squirrels and rabbits with his dog and then grills them and shares them with the dog and his daughter! He's always bringing something back from the woods, be it root, plant, fruit, or animal for us to try.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I have caught and eaten countless fish. If they are worth keeping, I eat em. Only thing I have shot / killed and ate was a squirrel when I was a kid, not impressed, never again.

7. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    I know what you mean and I agree with you SS. Don't like to see animals abused and do believe in making the effort of conservation of endangered species. I get upset at the gluttony I see. I am in no way completely innocent but I do make an effort to be reasonable with my food choices. It pissed me off when a month or so ago they allowed the food industry to not label country of origin on meat products. I would like to know where my meat comes from so I can make responsible choices.

8. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    the faster and more humanely the animal is taken, the better the meat. If the animal suffers and adrenaline is pumping....it creates a "tougher" fare.

+1 SS

9. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    I haven't hunted in many years but I like to fish/shrimp/crab and get oysters and clams. I realize not everybody can or wants go hunt or gather their food. No judgement. Just would like to know where my food comes from so I can make informed choices.

10. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Yessir...I mean not 10 years straight, but every spring/summer, take home gear in the winter while home from school, etc. The nice thing was it was always there, and there was always work, until the fishery got focked in the Sound.

But thank you...and longlining outta Dutch Harbor, that's serious shiz. I never had to deal with weather that nasty, the sketchiness was with getting all the gear back in the water. Fockin hated setting trawls in the spring!

11. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I've eaten and killed many a fish and crab, but I've never gone hunting...mostly just because I never had much interest, have horrible eyesight, can't fire a gun for sh!#, and know few people who hunt. That being said, I'd totally do it, given the opportunity. It's just not one of my top priorities. Spearfishing is plenty challenge for me, and it helps with surfing.

As for gardening, hell friggen yea! It's February, so I have my window shelves packed with 300+ seedlings, waiting a few more weeks to get them in the ground and start growing some food. I've done a lot of smallish gardens over the years, but the wife and I finally bought a house and have 1.5 acres ready to grow the good stuff. I'm super psyched about it. Along with gardening, you gotta preserve some food for the off-season. Fermenting vegetables and other foods is awesome, and I highly recommend giving it a shot if you've never tried it. If you're interested, there's a Facebook group called "Wild Fermenting" full of amateurs and professionals willing to learn ya up. Kombucha, kraut, kvass, pickled anything, kim chi...all that stuff is expensive at the store but super cheap and delicious to make in your own place. Typically all you need is vegetables, salt, water, and some spices. If you grow a lot of stuff and ferment a bunch of it, it'll last all winter so you can keep the grocery bills down and have fresh organic goodness that wasn't sprayed with f'ng agent orange or other creepy stuff.

Other dinner methods that I'd love to try but haven't: mushrooms (both kind lol) and harvesting seaweed.

12. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    live aloha you're in the right place to find mushrooms, both kinds:cool:

Nothing with a purple-brown spore print will kill you.

I plan on gardening my arse off this year...I've done standard stuff in the past, but I want to take it to the next level, especially with my little one on the way.

13. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    CBS I grew up on a rural island where we bought food from local farms or grew it in the back yard. Went to a butcher where they raised most of their livestock on their property. Fish and seafood in general where abdundant and thought of as poor people food. That has totally changed and in my opnion not for the better.

14. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I killed a guy at McDonalds once. I ate his chicken nuggets.

15. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    I've had banner years gardening and I've had years that were tough. Grow lots of herbs and peppers, ,garlic and onoins with little effort. Tomatoes vary fromm yr. to yr. One yr we had more green beans than we could eat and the next almost none. I have roughly 15' x 15' plot for the veggies and grow the herbs all over. Have to learn what does well in what season. I find gardening to be almost as theraputic as surfing. I miss the old cow pastures where mushrooms were abundant and free for the pickin'.They are suburbia now. If I won the lottery I'd live in the country with some acreage and a tractor. If ya'll need info on growing in a small place check out John Kohlers "growing your greens" on you tube. Lots of good stuff on his vids.

16. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Other than fish that I caught, I have never needed to actually kill for my supper but...

Back in college, our Thanksgiving break was Thursday to Sunday. Too short to try and travel home and then return; so a number of us would stay on campus for the few days off.

Like most college students we were as broke as could be. All our money was tied up in alcohol and drugs so we were contemplating a meager Thanksgiving Dinner. One friend was a Tennessee farm boy. He assured us that if we could come up with some side dishes and trimmings, he would provide us with a "bird".

A few hours later he shows up with a goose that was still covered with it's feathers. We were like wtf dude, where did you get that? He had apparently gone to a nearby park that had a lake and stalked one of the geese that lived there! He lured it in with some bread and then jumped out from behind a bush to grab it and snap it's neck! We were equal parts stunned and thankful with this development.

The rest of us were a little horrified when he said it was up to us to pull the feathers and gut the thing. None of us city slickers had ever done such a thing. Surprising what hunger will do to a man. Although we didn't know what we were doing, under his supervision, we soon had that thing ready for the oven. All in all that bird tasted kinda tough but ultimately pretty tasty.

To this day, whenever the old crew gets together, this story inevitably gets told to the horror of those who weren't there that day. Not my best Thanksgiving dinner, but certainly one of the most memorable.

17. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Sounds like an updated Johnny Cash song. haha

18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Very cool story dude! That's crazy haha

19. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    #9/12

20. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Not much past various sea creatures (fish, crustaceans (crabs, lobstah), mollusks).

No birds or mammals.. I guess there is more investment (plucking, skinning, draining, etc.).