Mark Healey

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by yankee, Mar 4, 2016.

1. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
  2. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    One word....ANIMAL

3. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    6 minutes. That's longer than a lot of the young bucks on here can last in the sack!

Big wave surfing has always intrigued me like the feeling you get when you walk to the edge of a cliff. When I lived in Hawaii I surfed some solid surf but never surfed large (10-12'+). I knew my limits...it always freaked out thinking about a 2 minute hold down. Have you ever tested your hold down. 2 minutes is a while....6 is like not of this world crazy.

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    He's on some next level sh*t that's for sure

5. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I don't think any big wave surfer has actually had a 2 minute hold down. I don't think many could survive 2 minutes honestly.
    While Healy can hold his breath for 6 minutes, that's in a controlled situation using breathing and relaxation techniques. I don't practice breath holds at all and I can hold my breath in a pool for 2 minutes using relaxation and breath holding techniques. 2 minutes in the surf after a wipe out? No chance.
    In a big wave wipe out nobody can hold their breath for 6 minutes, not even close.
    But his training allows him to deal with hold down's much better than 99% of surfers.

6. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Science B**CH!

7. Micky

Micky Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Thanks for sharing!

8. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Yea, I think the 6 minute thing is utilized when he is free diving. I am not sure I have seen anyone with a true 2 minute hold down. I think your point is well taken....when you are getting drilled by a massive wave, it takes everything out of you (even when you try to relax)....I have seen two wave hold downs and that to me would be the equivalent of 2 minutes in a pool.

9. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    healeys the man.

I remember many years ago,i think late 90s or early 2000s,there was a mtv "true life" episode "i want to be a big wave surfer" or something like that.this was before I even surfed.i remember healey was real young in it,and he sucked,but he charged.hes come a long way since then.i could never find that episode online,if anyone does please share.i remember Makua rothman beat up somebody for snaking him in a contest lol.

I also remember when a tiny jjf was on mtv cribs.im sure u can find that on youtube.i remember saying damn that kid is going places

10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  11. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Duuude who was the old salt?

I'm no pro ho but I love these types o' stories..

12. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Healey is awesome. Anyone who can stand their ground and give a charging tiger the heisman has balls that could kick Chuck Norris a$$. And who the f goes LEFT at Mavs? MH, that's who...

[video=youtube;Zgi8nvm_eiY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgi8nvm_eiY[/video]

13. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    Swimming with the men in grey suits.

[video=youtube;g51r67YkT74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g51r67YkT74[/video]

14. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    And last but certainly not least, swimming with tigers...and hot Italian models.

[video=youtube;bj5ufMLKYhk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5ufMLKYhk[/video]

15. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    As for the breath holding...get your heart rate up and everything pumping and see how long you can hold it. Makes a big diff, but gives you a better idea of how long you can take it if you get held down. When I swim I like to do butterflys and get the heart really pumped up then see how long I can hold. If I can do it 90 seconds rested, can only do it about 30 secs when pumped up.

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yes, I agree--he is an interesting character.
    Basically points out that one can achieve nice things if one applies oneself.