Musik- Please advise

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by JayD, Apr 19, 2016.

1. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    So, I am preparing for travels (overseas) and need to dial in my music for a long strange trip!

I need a ton of music, I have an iTunes account that is lacking some new and old tunes. Should I stick to iTunes and add to it or is there another app/account that is better/cheaper/broader? I have a few hundred songs already but most have been on there for years and there is definitely room for improvement one way or another.

I have an iPhone, ipad, and Surface Pro.

Any tech bros or dudettes with advice??? Thanks.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Okay, for long trips, in addition to a few nice rock pieces, I like to revel with relaxing classical tunes.
    Here are two I suggest you download:
    Bach Double violin concerto in D minor--play it loud--will blow your socks off.
    Beethhoven--Violin Concerto in Dmajor, Opus 61--relaxing as all hell; last movement is awesome.

Trust me--you will keep going back to them.

Enjoy your trip and dont forget to send me a postcard, and say "hi" to mom!!

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Dude, if you don't already have it on your iphone, get Pandora. It's free and you can load it up with only songs you like and get rid of songs you don't like and will never have to hear those songs again. Over time it becomes the ultimate DJ for your music listening needs. I don't pay for music anymore unless I find a CD that I really want, but 99% of the time i'm listening to my Pandora.

4. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    ^always going to back up DP.
    Exellente!

5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Right on DQ, great minds think alike!

6. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Books on tape and podcasts go a long way too.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  7. chainey

chainey Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    I also have a ton of music that I hardly listen to but I do listen to the Adam Carolla Show daily.

8. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I use Pandora for sure and really dig it. I did not know if I could use remotely without using a ton of data....

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    not sure I will have access to wifi at all. I wanted to have it stored.

audio book is a good idea Clem.

I was just going back through the surf book thread.

Narrowed it down to Barbarian Days and/or Dharma Bums

10. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Spotify over Pandora especially if you drop the $10 a month for premium. Tons of songs even from the lesser known artists and live stuff too (I admit I am a phish lover).

I also second Barry on the classical music. Used to love having some on while driving to school in NC.

11. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Just saw your last post. You can store music offline on spotify in order to listen to it without wifi. holla!

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I have an unlimited data plan through sprint so I don't worry about that. If you're traveling maybe you should change your data plan?

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Seems like a legit option as well

14. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    what strange place are you charging too?

15. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I have an older 80gb iPod, it holds a lot of sheet. Yeah, I am also curious aboot this strange place... Over seas, are you really just taking the Cape May Ferry over to DE?

16. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    TuneIn radio - free internet radio from all over the world...a lot sux, but when you find the good ones - oooohhh boy!

17. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Going to Indo.

Super bust, when you say "store" will I need Internet access? ....a web based account you log in to?

I guess I'm thinking store on device so all I need is a charged battery.

18. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I actually looked for my old iPod.... That thing has a bunch of tunes on it but it's mia.

19. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    whatever you do, do NOT ever download Vuze torrent client, then go to kat(dot)cr and use the search field. do not download any compilation/album torrents, open them in Vuze and for the love of all that is RIAA/MPAA copywritten do not download the contents
    do not erase them from the vuze library after downloading while keeping them on your harddrive so you dont seed and thus violate distribution laws.
    dont ever do it.

20. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Pandora is awesome but doesn't work in many over-seas location. One place it for sure does not work is Costa Rica.

A great way to get tons of music for free is via bit torrents. There are some pretty safe clients out there and you can download by the discography. PM me for detailed instructions on dowloading bit torrents. Before you attack my morals please know that if I truly love a band I'll buy a hard copy of an album, I have just bought too many crappy CDs to not "test drive" them via bit torrent.

Another great and VERY SIMPLE method is using youtube-mp3.org . You can convert pretty much any youtube audio into mp3 just by copy and pasting the URL. Again, PM for details. This is cool because there are alot of rare tracks that are only on youtube. For example the STS9, Artifact - Perspectives album which I can't find on CD or bit torrent.

I don't use the pay for tracks stuff like itunes becasue they are expensive and they limit the amount of devices you can put the music on. If I'm paying for something I want to OWN it, ya know?

Yeah, I know these methods are sheisty, but I'm a poor surfer and I love music. Happy listening!