Fixing up an old Heritage single fin...

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by live4truth, May 2, 2016.

1. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Was browsing through craigslist looking for a used fish and came across an ad of a guy selling a used Heritage single fin. Price was $50 for the board and an old Morey Mach 8-tx. Contacted the guy and picked it up...

Brought it home and the dims are 5'6" (without the top of the nose) x 20 1/4" x 3" (didn't put the caliper on it). I have love/hate relationship with singles, but this one was such a steal and I really enjoy fixing old boards...I couldn't help myself. Anyway, put on hold the shaping of my twin to rehab this beast and take it out as soon as my back is better. Plenty of dings on this thing as well as a few that'll need some additional rework...I'll post pics through my process as well as a few close ups tonight.

I was surprised with well the deck held up as it looks barely surfed...barely any pressures. As a goofy foot, it should be a great board for a left that will soon be replenished with sand...hopefully it'll be my summer fun board.

[​IMG]

2. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    That's an old Danny Heritage Sr. shape... Can you give us a rocker shot and a rail profile shot? Fin box and deck look OK. What kind of fin box is it? Hopefully you'll get a decent fin that fits right in.

If I was to resto that board, I'd get a fan deck of Ben Moore colors, and match that yellow. Sand off the gloss coat, fix all the dings, spray color over all the repairs (or the whole thing), touch up the pinline, and re-gloss. This will leave you with a water tight, as-close-to-original-as-you-can-get restoration.

4. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    My first board was a Heritage, bought it used from the shop in SIC. Posting here to see how this turns out.

5. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    That's a nice looking single! Very similar dims and shape to mine, except mines 6'3. Should be a really fun ride. For 50 bucks, you get to have some fun fixing it up, and even more fun one it's ready for water. I'm kinda jealous.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Are you kidding?? It's a piece of shiit......no offend intended.
    If you fix it up, including a new nose job, then.....maybe.

7. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Nice board! Tail lines look a little strait but with the right fin, you could get that on rail pretty easy. Looks like a racer.

8. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I don't think it needs a new nose. Sure it might look prettier. But that's it. Hell they make boards these days that look like the top 1/4 had been chopped right off. The inch this board is missing won't be a factor. Just make it water tight and he's good.

9. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    A few more pics...

Here you go LBC...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably not going to do a full resto...just make her seaworthy and clean her up. There are a lot of smaller open dings as well as a number of spots that need to be reglassed or touched up. It's a classy little board to just have fun on for me. Fin box is an FU box and looks solid all around. Only problem is fin screw is rusted to the plate and I'll have to trim the inside track with an angle to get it out. Otherwise no serious problems...I'll also fix the nose...I know the no nose thing is popular but it's not a serious fix for me and will be more aesthetically pleasing for this little guy...I'm with Barry on this one.

Also this board has a bit of nostalgia for me...the other heritage pictured (below) is my first board I got with my dad for from Tiki surf shop in cedars when I was a kid. He traded in a beat up longboard for for this 6'5". I learned to trim, basic turns, etc. I beat the board up and first experimented fixing dings on it. It stayed pretty rough until I cleaned it up and reworked the rest of the board about 7-8 years ago. Fun board to surf...I usually take it out when I want to be really lazy and just trim. Also found the serial numbers as well...pictured below as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Surprised by that balance point. Still, I like it.
    Have funwidit!

mushrooms.....

11. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    what kind of wall outlet is that?

12. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Probably the kind that has the holes plugged up so the kids won't stick forks into them.

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yea... classic S deck and "brewer" down rails... typical of the era. Can't you just grab that screw with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out the slot... replace with new?

I agree on fixing the nose. Match the foil and outline, and put a beak on it.

Oh... and if you're into it... a fiberglass leash loop on the deck!

14. BignoseLawnchair

BignoseLawnchair Member

Apr 30, 2012
    looks like your typical 15-amp 125-volt duplex receptacle, equipped with outlet plugs for child proofing.

that plush carpet though. karastan?

15. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    domed deck no tail rocker. That thing would be a trip on a chest to head high glassy day.

16. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Wow, seeing those brings back some memories. I had a 6'8" similar to your 6'5". It may still be in my old Auntie's garage in Sea Isle. Now, I'm going to spend half my weekend looking for it!