Cheapest way to do Nantucket for surfing?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by 2FUN, May 18, 2016.

1. 2FUN

2FUN Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    Ok so researching Nantucket for some surfing/family time away in July but DAMN its so expensive!! Rent a Jeep with beach permit.... 1500 for the week+1h 45 minute drive to the cape, 1 hr speed ferry at a cost of 75 plus a hotel for the week, plus food etc... Anyone know the best option for doing this trip to Nantucket? If I bring my own car it will cost me 580 roundtrip plus 200 for a week parking beach permit plus the lodging...

So I guess my question is, any advice on the best way to do it that wont break the bank? Any lodging you can recommend too? Bring a car, dont bring a car? Flying is OUT LOL. Oh and if I do the ferry with the car it will be 1h45 min drive to the cape, PLUS 2HRS 15 on the slow ferry...

Any advice appreciated and please dont tell me my best option is not to go or to go to costa rica or something like that... that is for another time... lol

2. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    U2B would tell you the best way would be to go kill yourself. LOL Get some stuffed quahogs while you are up there, most bars have them. I have fam in Falmouth, but I have only been up once and that was to a local chili cook off out on the island.

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I can't even fuking imagine what it's like to have money

4. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    [video=youtube;c764JWVt5Fw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw[/video]

5. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Can Mason Lesser weigh in on this?

6. 2FUN

2FUN Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    I use to have a place in Mashpee. Would have been easy that way. Crash at my place, take the ferry over with boards, transit to the beach, surf all day, transit back, ferry back, crash at my place for a day or two, come home... easy!!

7. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    [video=youtube;gj3AgSZEXMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj3AgSZEXMo[/video]

8. beaner

beaner Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Jetblue is having a sale right now on airfares. You need to travel wed/thur to wed/thur to get the best deal. They fly to Nantucket. Depending where you are coming from (JFK is direct) you will need to have a layover in Boston.

9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    There is nothing cheap about Nantucket. I've flown, I've driven and taken the ferry, and I've taken my car on the ferry. By far, the best option is the one that's out for you... fly. Since that's out, I recommend driving and taking the slow ferry without your car. Cabs are everywhere, reliable, and fares are reasonable, relatively speaking. They'll even send a big van if you have boards. The problem will be a place to stay. If you stay near the surf, you're far from Town, and vice versa. That means cab fare everywhere. Lot's of rooms available in B&Bs, but expensive. You can find reasonable eats, but then you're missing out on some of the best food in NE.

10. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    I once had a neighbor from nantucket.... No srsly.
    That place ain't for the commoners.

Just a question. Why drop all that cash to go there?

11. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    "Just a question. Why drop all that cash to go there?"

That's what I'm wondering. Gotta be the wifey...which could be a legitimate excuse:cool:

12. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Who are you guys kidding?? That place is for ghetto dwellers. And the surf sucks, btw.
    Now, as U2B would say, go kill yourselves.
    Assholes!!! Especially you skankee yankee!! hahahahaha!

13. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

No, I am laughing at you because you will never be able to afford a place like Nantucket!! hahaha!!!
    I can, but I would not go there; it is for ghetto dwellers like you.....

14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    And me!

Oh yea... lot's of seals, and LOTS of sharks.

15. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    It might be cheaper in the off season, i.e., September, etc. I hear that it can be outstanding during TS swell...
    NantucketSurf-smcrop.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  16. HogLog

HogLog Active Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Go to Block Island

17. crindlefish

crindlefish Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Don't come until the fall

18. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I thought "Doing Nantucket" meant fu cking yourself in the ear...

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    In all the years I've been there, I got a solid hurricane swell once... huge lefts swinging in on the south side of the island. You would see sets coming literally a mile down the beach, lighting up the sandbars from east to west, until it got to you. An amazing thing...