How to handle racism in public?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, May 20, 2016.

1. Liamsdad

Liamsdad Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Sounds like you guys reacted apropriately. It's better to ignore idiots like that.
    We're a mixed race couple too, she's Spanish/Black/Native American, I'm white as a ghost.
    Sometimes ppl stare at us and we pay no attention whatsoever.

2. Surfinjerz

Surfinjerz Active Member

Apr 18, 2016
    go cry to your wife

3. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    I think white people need to start calling each other cracka's.

That is all.

4. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Yah Koki B!! The Forume been missin' ya crackah! :cool:

5. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Yankee, what's good, crackah?!

6. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Nada mucho, my brutha....too much work & not enough surf treks make Yankee a dull boy (w props to Jack Nicholson in 'The Shining') Another month of 16 hr days at the boss death desk, with the upside being I'll be set up for multiple surf treks in CR & can pop to AI whenever the winds permit.

Although AI ain't been much unless you live on top of it like Zippy & Mitchell.

What say you, crackah, how's the Del country treating the Koki B...??

7. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for the responses everybody. To those who believe he was a low wage uneducated person, I would say he actually looked well off, dressed nice, wearing a sports coat and slacks, probably makes a decent living. He knew 100% what he was doing in my estimation.

8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Well, he isn't worth all the print we all posted.
    So go surfing or for a paddle. I had a great morning yesterday- 2 hours paddling and small surf longboarding.

9. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    You're right Barry, that's exactly what I did this morning too, caught a bunch of knee to thigh peelers

10. Speed Bump

Speed Bump Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Do something about it, calmly. What if it had been your kid that heard it, instead of your wife? Would you have acted differently? Sometimes you just have to stand up and set an example.

I had something similar happen to me at a little league game. One of the adults--think it was an uncle or friend, not another parent--was talking loudly about realestate and used a racial slur. I stood up, stepped around the guy on the bleachers, said "Hi" and sat down next to him. I looked him in the eye and said "Friend, there are a lot of kids here, including mine, and that's not the right language to use around children."

That was all that needed to be said. The guy wasn't directing it at anyone and apologized. If the guy decides to be belligerent, then bring other people in. Get loud, get other people's attention, and say something like "If you keep talking like that, you're going to have a real problem with me, and everybody else here."

When somebody's cussing or saying slurs around you, if they're not saying it to your face, then they're either directing it at you like a chickensh*t coward, or they don't realize what they're saying isn't right with everyone. Either way, the right thing to do is to stand up to them.

Obviously don't do this if you're somewhere that its going to put your kids or woman in danger. Baseball game, neighborhood pub; sure. Backwoods deep south biker bar, and you're a tourist who doesn't know any of the patrons, might be better to walk out.

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for the reply Speedbump. I'm generally a docile guy and don't get into with people in public, but my instinct is to not let being disrespected slide. I see your point and can see handling it that way but I have a short fuse and all it takes is for him to get an attitude about it and it's on, so not sure if that's the approach for me, but maybe I can pull it off without snapping. IDK

12. Speed Bump

Speed Bump Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Good to know your mental limits. You want to set an example, not make an example. So don't step up if you know you can't control your anger when the drunk a--hat decides to take the opportunity to insult you or your lady.

That's when you want to bring over your buddies and call out the d-bag publicly, not start something that's gonna get you thrown out and banned from your favorite watering hole or worse.

In private is one thing, and I'm not the PC police when I'm by myself at somebody's party or poker game, but in public is another. Hearing dudes openly talking smack like that can really make your kids or women scared of going out places, so you need to show them that things are under control, and not everybody is thinking what the one jerkoff is saying.

13. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You assholes all exemplify why America is totally hung up on racism...blah, blah , blah.
    Who cares what who said what or who should've done this or that. DSUPs wife had it right. Move on and waste no more spit on this.
    Heyzus you morons will never get over your racism hangups!!!

14. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    For sure, good advice all around. If you're going to say something you have to be ready to fight because you never know how that person is going to react to being confronted. Some end peacefully like yours, others end in blood shed. All we wanted was a fun night out before she started her new job she landed so keeping it to herself until they were gone was the best choice that night. I'm sure he'll "slip" again at some point and get his.

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    She did have it right Barry, but the point of this thread is about having productive discussion on this topic. It's something I think we all can do better with as a society. Not talking about issues is what keeps them around for a long time. Discussion and open dialog is how we find out each others perspectives and can grow as human beings co-existing with one another.

I'm trying to be better with my temper and not getting so offended by such things, but at the same time some things just aren't excusable. I come from a place where respect is everything. You earn it, it is not given. And if you disrespect someone it usually means fighting. And if you get disrespected you better stand up for yourself or it continues to happen time and again.

But these days, people are just too quick to pull a gun or something and you can't settle things the old fashion way, with two fists. And even if you do get to resolve it the old fashion way, and even if you win the fight, you'll end up losing in the end because of the legal problems that come from it. It's a difficult situation to be put in when trying to make the right decision on how to resolve the issue without ruining your life or your love ones life.

If I could have beaten that guy to a pulp and got away with it, I would have, but it's not likely, not in a place like that. So we talk and find alternatives to violence. Ya feel me?

16. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Roll around with Visine. When the d!ckhead aint looking, drop a few quirts into his drink. Diarrhea for dayssssss

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Now that's the creative thinking I was looking for, very nice! HAHAHA

18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    BTW, there is a guy that is being charged with murder for kicking a dudes ass at the very same venue in the parking lot for looking at his woman or something, just a few weeks prior. He beat him so bad he flat lined and is probably going to spend a loooooong time in prison, if not die there. Apparently he's a mob dude's son or something and just went bananas on the guy and didn't know when to quit. That's not something I'm trying to do.

19. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    ok dsup...summarize this thread. I'm short on time. Was this guy black (African-American)....I thought I saw that in your post? Is your girl?

Just curious about the dynamic? Especially since such close proximity to you. Seems like she (and you) did the right thing. You can't control another man's actions but you can control your own. I think if you did say something, it would have gotten out of control.

20. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Shorty version, I'm white, my wife is black, white, and Spanish, some native Indian too, i.e. interracial couple. The guy who made the comment is a white guy who appeared to be well off and educated or at least not a poor un-uneducated moron. He sees me first, then he sees my wife, and right after she sits down, he makes this comment to his buddy loud enough for my wife to hear but not loud enough for ME to hear.

It seemed intentional based on the timing of it and how he suddenly turned his back to us to make the comment and then he stayed that way for the rest of the time he was there, while his buddy kept looking over at us to view the expression on my wife's face. Then when he leaves, the guys buddy tells my wife he has 3 daughters and thinks she's just beautiful, and then when I look over he repeats it to me in an apologetic / drunken manor but came across disingenuous to me as he knew my wife was pissed. It just all seemed very cowardly.