Best "off the rack" groveler boards for summer

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by 2FUN, May 24, 2016.

1. PintailDonkey

PintailDonkey Well-Known Member

May 4, 2016
    I'm with you on the Verner Mini Simmons. Great small wave board. Here is a great review of it... I have one and concur on all fronts.

http://www.realwatersports.com/surfing/surfboards/vernor/mini-simmons

And as far as Barry's opinions... they are ridiculous. On a knee high day you can ride a Simmons, Long Board, Lost Bottom Feeder, mid-ength single fin, etc. You get a totally different vibe on each and all have there merits. I personally love a mini simmons on small waves.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Grovelers are indeed a piece of crap, so are many fishes. Just because YOU are unable to surf waves on one of the 4 I mentioned (they cover ALL waves) doesn't mean grovelers are an essential shape. Years ago, we saw an explosion of Kane Garden fishes. They are gone. No longer fashionable. So will the Groveler go as well - they add zero to existing performance. And you will be hooked into the next fashion with your non-critical thinking.
    Hell, some people even have fun on doors, ironing boards.....that doesn't mean they are essential.
    You are gullible; a victim of fashion- nothing more.

3. PintailDonkey

May 4, 2016
    You clearly don't surf... or you're an absolute moron. Either way, from hence forth, you should be completely ignored on all things surfing.

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    IDK I think they have their place, I mean I see your point, you certainly can cover all your bases with 4 boards, I have more than that but really only use two boards 99% of the time, because they cover most conditions I surf. I think a groveler with the right sized rider and conditions can be fun, like any surf board is when it actually catches waves and allows you to do a little something with it. It's not a necessity (a groveler), but I think some people just want variety and shapers get bored doing the same ole same ole so they reinvent the wheel, not a bad thing, sometimes you stumble onto something and it works really good, but it won't work good for everybody, it just depends. For ole 2FUN or guys his size, if he's going to do something other than a LB then I believe the Simmons is the route to go, based on what I've seen in the water.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  5. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I have to disagree... I have a long board, but I have way more fun on a fish. I'd rather a short stubby fish/groveler than a long board. Occasionally I pull out the LB and I do have fun, but not too often.

And that's what it's about, right? Having fun...

6. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    unless you catch just the right punchy micro-swell at the right tide and wind, anything under waist high is usually mushy and very difficult to ride on any type of shortboard. People that excel in that sort of stuff on shortboards surf a hell of lot and are in excellent paddling shape. Any of the off the rack grovelers will work for them.

Don't think getting a groveler larger than recommended is going to make up for anything less than supreme paddling muscles. As much as surfboard makers hype their grovelers, a lot of it is just marketing. Get the correct recommended size for your weight.

As far as your list, I'd probably go with the puddle jumper. The manta is actually more interesting, but my experience with EPS is it's just too light (been a while since I went that route, so maybe the tech has changed).

I also like quads on my grovelers. Grovelers are just slightly improved shortboards and quads are just slightly faster fins setups. If you want a more thruster-style performance on your groveler, look for a quad w/ the trailer fins closer together.

7. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Sunday I rode a shortboard. Monday I rode a fish (a real fish). Today I rode a log. So what...

The groveler is a functional design... which rose out of the severe limitations of the hpsb in weak surf, particularly when ridden by average surfers.

Alt shapes are for people who are either board (Doski) with the standards, or who are sucked into the trend du jour, because they do ride differently. The only difference between the two types of surfers is their motivation.

To pigeon hole yourself into only buying a name brand off the rack is potentially missing out on a magic board some local shaper has been dialing in for years... "generations" of board design and experimentation. Again, I'd bring up the motivation factor here...

Finally... if you haven't done so yet... try building your own. That is... if you have a half way decent eye and hands that have actually done some work.

8. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Just FYI, these things aren't mutually exclusive.

9. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    The short, fat, bullet nose ,bump squash is the way to go in small sh!t surf. My 5' 6" puddle jumper is the raddest little toy for anything under chest high. I believe the Average Joe is equally rad!!

10. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Grovelers are absolutely functional boards for those of us who do a lot of our surfing in soft waves. I love longboarding, but most days when the waves are in that knee - waist high range or a little bigger but soft on the face, I'm on some kind of grovel shape. You got a lot of good advice already. If you really want it to come alive on small days, I'd go with something that has a wide square tail which feels to me like it gets up a goes best in two foot mush. Someone else mentioned these two....I've never ridden either one, but this board shape is the kind I'm on when its small and weak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I don't know how much you weigh or how often you surf but trying to ride any of these boards in waist high or smaller conditions probably won't cut it. Look at a Mini Simmons, old school twin fin or Sweet Potato if you want to make the most out of your sessions. I really like a Sweet Potato in onshore waist high summer conditions. The other two in glassy smaller stuff.

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Haha Nice!

13. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    How does this treade hath none of the rack pics?

Btw Hanna that's been taken already by "the pretenders"

Nosedive experts is still availbs

14. heyzeus

heyzeus Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I think you mean Flying MantA...not MantIS???

They're two different boards and the Mantis isn't really a groveler.

15. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Whatever you like best.

Surfboard "models" is a marketing gimmick.

16. 2FUN

2FUN Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    Yes I did. Thanks for the correction

17. 2FUN

2FUN Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    So here is my thought process on this issue for this thread..... Most of us cant just go out and demo every board in the world out there, and most surf shops carry what sells for that area for the most part. OK marketing mass produced boards maybe just that, BUT if they are complete crap I dont care how good marketing is, it just wont sell. Also, many boards have a place in the progression of surfing. For example, an experienced surfer wouldnt be caught dead with a BIC or FOAMTOP surfboard, but I bet just about everyone has ridden one at the beginning of their surf cycle. It has a place and because of that, people buy them then sell them off to others trying to learn.

So the same can be said for the other boards that are mentioned here. I say OFF THE RACK because to be honest, most people are just GUESSING when it comes to trying to find out what they want unless they have been surfing for many years, have tried many boards, and know what they like and dont like. My plan is simple. I want a summer board that will be fun and skatey in small surf. I know my size will play a part in it, but ultimately it is much easier to go to a shop and ask to DEMO a off the rack board that they think you are gonna buy. Especially when it is mass produced and they have a ton of them in the store. Good business sense. At that point, you can make your own judgement on what you like what you dont like etc.. then go to a local shaper and fill in the pieces.

To prove my point, companies like LOST FIREWIRE, CI etc... have spent MILLIONS on advertising and marketing. Most of you already have mentioned the LOST PUDDLE JUMPER, CI Average Joe, FIREWIRE Sweet Potato and Potatonator. I doubt these boards were mentioned because people were brainwashed into thinking they are great. People mentioned them because they WORK from their experiences. This is what I am trying to get at here. OFF THE RACK boards that WORK for the most part based on REAL EXPERIENCE.

18. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Although there is tons of marketing of models, surfers are not this^ homogenized. Also, who pulls out their Rhino Chaser in small summer time surf? This comment is a product of your age, nothing more. Surfboard innovation is awesome and if you have chosen to not embrace ALL the opportunities out there, you are missing out (on more fun). When I got a sub 6' shape it changed how I surf in smaller weaker surf and made it way more fun.

I have a good friend who is old like you and he had the same way of thinking until he got a board shaped for small summertime surf and he likes to say it took 10 years off his surfing life.

If all you want to do is paddle, stand up, turn, and glide down the face then your quiver works fine.

O troll

19. PintailDonkey

May 4, 2016
    Much more eloquently stated than my post, but right on. Either that, or he doesn't surf. I have two 5'6" Simmons. One has glassed on keel fins and the other quad controllers. Both are crazy fun on knee-waist waves.

20. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    How long you been surfing 2Fun? If not long, check this out: My 1st 3 boards were off the rack boards, they "worked", as most ANY board will if it floats. I progressed some on these boards but not much, but they served a purpose. My next 3 boards were custom shaped specifically for me, my size, ability, and local surf conditions, shaped by someone who surfs the same conditions and is a master craftsman. I progressed far more on my first custom than I ever did on my first three off the rack boards combined. Moral of the story, talk to a shaper, go custom. Pay the same or less, get a better product.