Its too f%&^$ big

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Gnarly, Aug 17, 2009.

1. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2008
    That is the inlet I am talking about but way inside towards the bayside beach. I have seen waves breaking right out in the inlet but that would be insane with currents. Further inside the inlet though some waves might be breaking in calmer waters.

I am definetly going to have my friend check Sunset beach towards the Ferry on Saturday to see what is up. The ferry might be a fun ride....:)

2. ocnj&socal

ocnj&socal Active Member

Aug 20, 2009
    monday

anybody stoked about monday? i really cant wait because i have a feeling it will be worth the drop in size:cool:

3. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    The first time I rode surf in the 10-12' range it was on a Hobie Noserider without a leash. Get over it already and either do, or don't do it. [Not you personally, conway, rthetorically.] On the other hand, do as others have said: no bailing your board with people around you - eat it. Paddle out if you wish, to get the feel of the water and the energy moving through the water. But, most importantly, observe the currents and have an exit strategy.

4. xgen70

xgen70 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    what madness!!!!!!! True enough, with this many page views that google rank should be spiking

Sure has brought out all types as well, that is for sure. But it is all good, minus the few trolls and negative speaks here and there.

one for the record books no doubt.

Just a little more info to do an average: The one other reliable site is calling for 6 to 8 feet long period swell for Sat and Sun. Remember the difference between near shore and off shore. This other site is giving info for near shore.

A real 6 to 8 around here is more then plenty for most, and under clean conditions it is epic for sure and the need for much bigger could be called into question. Add in warm water which we almost never ever get with swell this size and the potential for getting an over dose of tunnel vision,.. is almost guaranteed. Hope your hearts are in good condition!:)

I also think that 6 to 8 may be understating it, but..who knows.

As far as the surfline thing goes, if they were smart, they would set up contacts with sites/this site and allow those more in the know (locally) to provide at the least supplemental data to make their own forecasts better. Providing a link to Micah's site would do wonders for swellinfo and may lend more credibility to surfline as well. For that matter, who needs to pay for surfline? I average the two, swellinfo and the other one? and it is somewhere in the 90 percentile range ever time.

Be safe, have fun, know your limits and everyone who has what it takes to paddle out, remember to look out for each other out there. Only few make it on these types of swells, so you know you are among friends in these conditions. :cool:

5. Hanaebu

Hanaebu Active Member

May 25, 2009
    Good advice xgen.

On another note, try checking out www.surf-forecast.com. I think the predictions there seems much more realistic. I use that site quite often (as well as swell info) and that site is almost always dead on.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Be safe everyone.

6. muffinman31396

muffinman31396 Member

Aug 20, 2009
    bodyboard

alrite so im a 13 year old bodyboarder and ive been in 6 foot before maybe a lil bit bigger but anyways im gettin a new board on friday definititely a BZ but i want it 2 be suitable for this weekends conditions what should i get? :confused:

7. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I have surfed the bay during hurricane swells when I was a kid. Most memorable was Bertha in 96. Head high and barreling right in front of my house........not to mention I was in a neck brace with a broken neck all summer.......man was my dad pissed when he realized I paddled out.....in the neck brace.

8. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    the problem with the delaware bay is there is a breakwater in the mouth of the bay, that will shut down most of the swell energy. Or else, the Del. Bay could light up, but this isn't what happens.

9. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yup, pray for wave refraction.

10. SquanShredder

SquanShredder Member

Mar 11, 2008
    inlets gonna be a joke...just like every weekend, so ur better off sleeping in and not surfing inlet

11. clarkenstein

clarkenstein New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    i'm all about monday and tuesday. i have no business being in the water on saturday and sunday (my thought is, if i dont think i can swim out, i should not try to paddle out). the wife and i are going to go down with the cameras and try to get some pics of friends in the water over the weekend, but i'm all about the clean up on monday and tuesday - looks like fun on those days to me!

12. Skooba

Skooba Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2008
    8-10 is fine with me, and to be quite honest if I end up sitting on the beach while it's "triple overhead" (which I seriously doubt it will be) I'll be taking pics and drinking brews watching some of the best surfers around (maybe a handfull of pros too) rip this swell. I'm gonna have a good time no matter what. I can garuntee that!:D

One more thing, those of you who are saying it's gonna be 5-7ft I axe u this, how can a 13ft 18 sec swell only produce a wave a little better than head high???

13. Jason Skinkle Photography

Jason Skinkle Photography New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    I think sunday is going to hold something for everyone. By the evening its gonna fade fast but still be super fun. Im stoked can't wait to film and get wet in some REAL SURF!:D

14. ocnj&socal

ocnj&socal Active Member

Aug 20, 2009
    bz hubb. get the fundamental if you have the money

15. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    What's up Skinkle!

16. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    anyone else ****ing AMPED!>?!

17. rickward

rickward Member

Jul 29, 2009
    dude, my nads are tingling, i'm so excited.

18. ric75

ric75 Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Excited and a bit nervous. I always get like that when the waves are big. Been a while since I've paddled out in DOH but the wave period looks favorable... or at least non-life threatening ;)

19. moose

moose Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I stopped posting here a while back because of all the animosity and teenie boppers talking ish to eachother, but I couldn't resist this time. Swellinfo is going BIG TIME now! congrats Micah, and keep it up. As for this swell, holy sh**. 4OH in Nantucket and clean? that's just comical. 3OH in DE? Should be some awesome footage from OBX, New England and strong island tow-in style come next week...

My crew will be all over it friday and then saturday morning at our spots (depending on winds), but then come Saturday afternoon I cant wait to just cruise the coast (hopefully it's not flooding) to just watch this thing, and maybe film some of the local loony rippers or travelling pros giving it a go.

Sunday looks like it may be epic; the crowds are going to be comical, though, so I hope to find some random sandbar tossing barrels for me and my guys. Be safe all, don't ditch your boards!

Oh, and here's to Bill taking a big dump on all that beach replenishment crap! Hopefully Slick Willy brings back some of the sandbars of old!!!!

peace

20. StuckinVA

StuckinVA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Friend told me he's staring at 5 - 6 foot sets already in obx. Any truth to this?