Bill swell overhyped??

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by wik, Aug 18, 2009.

1. sab69

sab69 New Member

Aug 19, 2009
    .....or new jersey

2. nsurfecoast

nsurfecoast Member

Jul 6, 2008
    show me a picture of triple overhead new jersey.

3. SurfingNoob

SurfingNoob Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I've only been surfing 10 times... I am new at it and I think it's pretty lame some of you trash the new people. Without new ppl taking up the sport, it would die! Me and my friend, who has surfed his whole life will be hitting the waves Fri, and Sat. Now, I know I'll prob get hurt but it is fun and I love it!

4. terra-firma intolerant

terra-firma intolerant Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Sorry, but let me tell you, if you have trouble paddling out, don't push it. I find the scariest situations are facing down a set a waves right before you make it out, and if you think you can't make it, turn around and head in.

Don't take this personal, I'm sure many other people won't even try :p, just be safe.

5. wkarch

wkarch Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Bill's surf

Following is a quote from the weatherunderground site. Check out the wave heights at the end of the quote.

Bill's big waves
    Large swells from Bill will begin impacting the U.S. East coast from Florida to Maine beginning Friday night or Saturday morning. Seas will build to 5 - 10 feet in the offshore waters from central Florida northwards to South Carolina, and to 10 - 15 feet from North Carolina to Cape Cod. Near shore, waves will be about 40% less. This will cause a significant coastal erosion event along some portions of the coast. The latest run of the NOAA Wavewatch III model suggests that significant wave heights near Bill's center will reach 50 feet on Sunday. Since maximum wave height is typically about a factor of 1.9 greater than the significant wave height (which is the average trough-to-crest height of the top 1/3 largest waves), a few huge waves near Bill's center may reach 95 feet high.

6. WBLoafer

WBLoafer Well-Known Member

May 1, 2008
    Yeah, I got starred for saying "richard" in reference to a noob's name. SI must have some built in censor so the moderator doesn't have to sift through all the nonsense.;)

7. nsurfecoast

nsurfecoast Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This is not to trash anyone. I am not trying to be derogatory. However, IF YOU HAVE ONLY SURFED TEN TIMES DO NOT GO OUT ON SATURDAY IF THE SWELL IS AS BIG AS EXPECTED. You are not good enough and have no business being in life threatening waves. You are not just endangering yourself but also the surfers around you and anyone who might have to rescue you.

8. WBLoafer

May 1, 2008
    I am so stoked that you have decided to take up surfing - it makes me happy knowing that because of you surfing will continue forever. Have fun this weekend and don't let your BIC hit anyone out at C-Street.:D

9. Tmoney

Tmoney New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Really???

I know we're expecting a massive pulse from this storm - and I agree and think it has the potential to be as big of a wave that SE NC has seen in several years - but the textual forecast says 'triple overhead' in the afternoon??? I've surfed here for more than sixteen years, and can honestly say I've never seen triple overhead on this beach or any close by. Head high to an adult guy is about 6 feet - multiply that by 3, and you get a number which is bigger than any wave I've ever seen around here. Not trying to bag the FX, but I feel like it gets over-hyped. SE NC will hold a wave height to roughly 12 feet in my opinion. Regardless - kudos to swellinfo on a fantastic site, and what I consider a fantastic surf forecast source 99% of the time.

10. swimsurfer

swimsurfer New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    triple over head might be possible at WB, it just won't be pretty. I remember the evening before Isabel hit the outer banks it was huge. I was surfing down by crystal pier and there were a ton of people on the beach just looking at the waves, but only a very few in the water. I went in north of the pier and only rode 3 waves before I drifted to the jetty at the south end. I saw lots of broken boards that day. Almost every wave was closed out so all you could really get was a nice drop. It was at least double OH, but I bet there was some close to triple OH.

11. ivan

ivan Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2008
    i just got out of the water at wb between classes...and all that i have to say is that all of you kooks need to die. or find a spot where only kooks surf, you can bubble wrap yourselves, and everyone's board is a big soft piece of foam. i mean, seriously...do people not pay attention anymore? if you see someone down the line coming at you, hauling ass, and killing it, why the hell would you drop in? COME ON! there was this one kook with a red board, dropped in on me, so i did a rodeo flip and punched him in the face. now my barrel dragging hand hurts. damnit.

12. terra-firma intolerant

terra-firma intolerant Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Did you surf at c-street?

That's your problem :p And was that the kook who got on Wblive. If he even checks the site, he's gonna be all stoked and crap... until he reads the description.

13. SurfingNoob

SurfingNoob Member

Aug 20, 2009
    What do you guys think Myrtle Beach will be getting? A few of my friends are going to Wrightsville Beach. As for some of the advice seen, if I have trouble paddling out when the big set comes in, I'll call it a day and watch the experts surf. I am going to go out Friday as it builds so I can at least have fun surfing something since all this place gets is 1 footers.

14. WBLoafer

May 1, 2008
    I'm STOKED! -- I got the main pic on WBLive! Yes!

Dinged my NSP though - oh well, it was worth it.:p

15. SCYankee

SCYankee New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    When did they close the beaches in SC?

16. cricha

cricha Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Im scared . someone please hold me

17. mmt

mmt Active Member

Apr 16, 2007
    that helps out everything doesn't it...

18. NCsurfer

NCsurfer Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Got best barrel of my life today im only 12 so the'll keep comin

19. ivan

ivan Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2008
    i used to live down there, and i think that it was fran back in the late 90s...they closed most of the beaches further south near pawley's island, and people had to paddle down the intercoastal through inlets. i was pretty young then, but this is what i remember.

20. NCsurfer

NCsurfer Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Im not bringing my best boards for fear they will break in half. I will only bring my boards that have turned yellow from the sun that I drew pictures on with a sharpie and have so much pressure dings that they are a quarter inch thinner than they were brand new. One of my boards' fin set probably costs more than it.