Ian Cairns go off on SUPS

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by aka pumpmaster, Sep 20, 2016.

1. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Laird introduced a lot of stuff that has lent to the ruination of surfing IMHO. Wish he was more like his adopted dad, surfed with incredible stylee, was super laid back and burned buttloads of tree.

But man, Laird's wife sure has got a gorgeous turdcutter

2. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    #turdcutter

#sexpartners

3. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
  4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Been "admiring" her for, like... 25 years...

5. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Do you often find yourself tired and drained after you "admire" her lol

6. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    SUPs have their place...and I happen to think that place is a lake or river (or the gulf). They are a crutch...and I hate to see people, that don't don't need a crutch, using a crutch.

For those that have injuries that don't allow them to surf the usual way, I have to applaud them for at least trying to get out there and scrape whatever exercise and enjoyment they can. Just take it somewhere else.

7. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Very good point right there.

8. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    It's funny bc I know dudes that don't even surf, ie/ my boss who sails, who absolutely abhor SUP.

9. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    SUP's have been an occasional nuisance at my local, usually the most experienced ones that hog waves. Not cool.

But just like every other piece of equipment, they have a rightful place in the water. All I ask is to play by everybody else's rules.

FWIW, I once considered moving to the Florida panhandle after retiring...for a minute. I figured a SUP would have been a fun way to log some water time during the long spells of flatness.

10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I've had great SUP sessions at hard-to-access spots that I think are too far and/or too shallow to prone paddle to. They're also good for freediving/spearfishing... better than a kayak, in some ways. But at your typical local beachie... not interested. They just don't have the performance, and that's what it's all about for me.

11. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    The whole downwind open water SUP thing piques my interest also.

12. Panhandler

Panhandler Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    I actually used mine to go paddle fishing in the bay the past three days before work. Reds and Flounders are starting to go crazy now. Also use it when free-diving. I grew up playing ice hockey and trying to go to college with it. At that time, we were told to practice, and go to school with ankle weights, it worked, during games you could fly. My knees are shot now though. Some days they can handle 1-2 hrs of pop-up, some days they don't. I will ride waves on anything, SB, LB, SUP, sponge, body depending on knees, and fickle gulf conditions. I'm pretty fortunate that a crowded lineup at most of my spots is maybe 4 within 50 yards of each other. We all know each other and keep a respectable distance, and all treat each others experience/session with respect. Its the gulf beach breaks, literally no need to share a peak. I've been lucky the last few swells and have been able to surf. But my 8'2" starboard has more reaction then my LB and I love the ride it gives as much as any other board. If you don't like it, eakmyfuk, but dont GKY

13. Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    KR and LB's posts above pretty much sum it up.

14. BonerSurfs

BonerSurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2007
    The problem is, burning someone on an SUP usually doesn't end well, and theres a couple of reasons.

1. The person on the craft usually old/inexperienced/has a bum knee/bum back or a combo of any of these. Therefore, they can't really dodge you when drop in on them.

2. Those damn boats they're riding are hard to maneuver regardless, and they'll run right into you.

3. Because they're riding a boat they can't turn, they're whole thing is just racing toward the shoulder as fast as possible. Sometimes its easier to drop in "behind" them, after they come barreling past you.

The bottom line is that dropping in on an SUPper usually ends in a collision, and its usually your board or your body that end up taking a beating from their oversized kook mobile.

15. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    just sit in front of them all session.

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Your post is "a priori" evidence that your surfing skills suck.
    If you don't want to drop in on them then, yank their leash and bring them down to the deck, painfully......

This topic is so overdone. Must be a forumme of weak, wobbly kneed morons.....

17. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    #TheMoaningChair

[video]https://youtu.be/IgNUqgxGZKs[/video]

18. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Do you honestly expect ME (!!) to go clicking on urls you post??
    Please.....

19. Panhandler

Panhandler Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    ahhh, sounds like we can't be friends. Its funny, I love to get to share some waves with a majority on here. You could pick my board, I'd love to see some here actually surf.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  20. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Actually, I was in agreement with your point and not necessarily targeting you.

Then again, these might be for you:
    #DontClickMeBarry

#DontClickMeBarry2

:p j/k

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016