Australia Surfboards any good?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by NYNomad, Sep 1, 2009.

1. NYNomad

NYNomad Member

Sep 1, 2009
    I'm a beginner looking at the 7' 6" Australia Surfboards at KONA sports. I'm 5' 8" 180lbs.

NJ & NY is where I ride. Are these good beginner boards?

Thanks

2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Go to Woody's. you'll get a better deal.

3. mofosurfer.com

mofosurfer.com Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
  4. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    i hear great things about most aus boards. it gets pretty big and heavy there, so you'd think they make boards to hold up in surf like that.

5. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    one of the shops in ocean city, md, carries this brand. they do not, however, bother to peel off the 'made in china' stickers from these boards.

a 7-6 funboard is great for a beginner, but, please get a well-made stick, preferably made by a local or semi-local guy. don't fall into the wal-martification of surfing.

6. NYNomad

NYNomad Member

Sep 1, 2009
    I realize that it isn't made in Oz. Figured it was made in China - or some place like that due to the price. I was hoping it was a decent first board which would have gotten me started - then I would get a "real" board.

Ok so this one is out.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

7. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    seriously, the best bet for you is to get a cheap but decent used board that you can trash while learning. When you said Kona, were you buying in person at Wildwood or online?

8. wakeboardpro95

wakeboardpro95 Member

May 22, 2009
    i surf in north wildwood and i got my first board from konas. it was a 6'8 surfboards australia. i think they are good boards to learn on. they float really well and at 7'6 you should learn to catch waves easily. woodys blows dont go to woodys. go to kona's, wild ocean. or ocean outfitters. i think wild ocean has the best selection

9. NYNomad

NYNomad Member

Sep 1, 2009
    I was going to go to Kona in wildwood. I just called a shop on long island - Bungers. I just happen to be at Gilgo last weekend and they were having a contest. When I called to ask about their boards they recomended a BIC board over their own Bunger brand for beginners. They even have a used BIC that they felt would be perfect.

10. mofosurfer.com

mofosurfer.com Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009

You sir, are a loser and a kook. Go back to wakeboarding on your pop outs.

[​IMG]

11. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Plus he digs Wild Ocean. bunch of rip off artists posing as 'core' surfers.