Winter is coming - 5mm rec

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by BKSurfer, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Oh shlt, no Pigeons? Fvck them

2. backside hack

backside hack Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Oneil is best for Short Leg vs Torso. Others I find myself taking scissors to the last inch or so to avoid ballooning. (Not ideal when u just dropped $300)
    Excel boots.
    Rip Curl lobster claws.

3. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Hey Cap
    women.jpg

4. cjtst11

cjtst11 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    I have a Matuse hooded 5/4 that I got on summer sale for about $300. I am a big fan of their 2mm Tumo full suite so when I saw the sale price on the 5/4 I figured I'd give it a try. Only had it one season so we will see about the durability but it feels like buttah!

Also have a Patagonia R2 which I can wear down to about 50 deg and still be warm. Three years wearing that here in the Jerz and it still looks new. Not a fan of their boots or gloves though - have returned versions of each. Now I just stick with Xcel which seem to seal really well and not cutoff my circulation.

5. mookieo2

mookieo2 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    I've had a hyperflex suit for the past few years. I'm usually too hot in it even on the coldest days. I also have the 7 mil boots and 6 mil mittens and everything works great. The lining makes it really hard to get out of if your not wearing a rash guard and some kind of Lycra shorts. If I forget them it's not fun changing when its 15 degrees out.

6. robgnyc

robgnyc Active Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Xcel Drylock 5/4 hooded.

If they fit you, they are the warmest suits I've worn. Their 7mil mittens and boots rock. Kept me warm two winters ago when it was really cold most of the winter and I tend to get cold easily. Last winter was much more mild so not a real test of wetsuits.

I had a Matuse 4/3 once, was the least warm 4/3 ever, more like a not top of the line 3/2. Fine if it's nice and sunny but once the wind blew I froze. Garbage.