Going to PR

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by NCsurfer, Sep 14, 2009.

1. NCsurfer

NCsurfer Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Hey i may be going to rincon PR with some freinds, its my first time surfing out of NC and I am taking all tips and stories about your prior experiences from shipping boards over to surfing frothy 10 foot. I am planning to go around new years.

2. Mackin'_L.I.

Mackin'_L.I. Member

Sep 20, 2008
    I went to Rincon last year in mid-December. I suggest getting used to the idea of coral stuck in your foot, but other than that its a great time. Some good spots are Pools, Domes, and Maria's.

3. beagleagle

beagleagle Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2008
    heard of people wearing booties in the water to help with that coral problem. i've never been out of nc either (but will) so i am interested as well.

4. gnargnarshredda

gnargnarshredda Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    if you're gonna spend the money to go to pr then you might as well go to costa rica or panama. That's what I've been told anyway

5. NCsurfer

Apr 27, 2009
    Im going with a freind and his family, they are getting a place that sleeps eight, so all I have to do is pay for ticket and shipping fees, actually the ticket is my only cristmas present and i might just shove my boards in my freinds board coffin, and pay a percentage his shipping fees and I would pay for my food.

6. beagleagle

Aug 6, 2008
    thats badass... have fun!

7. PRShredder

PRShredder Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I lived in PR for a while now, but I grew up in NC (Wilmos) and I have to say, I haven't had any coral in my foot. Unless you're absolute kook, you probably shouldn't worry about getting coral stuck in your foot, or any other part of your body. Rincon is overrated and overcrowded. If you have wheels, check out the spots in Aguadilla and Isabela. They can get pretty crowded too, though; however, not as much of a zoo as Rincon. There's some good spots in Arecibo, too. Oh yeah, the locals are kinda aggro, so show respect and you should be ok. Good luck bro and have fun!!!

8. Mackin'_L.I.

Mackin'_L.I. Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wow, harsh words brother. Over what was just a statement of fact, i went with 4 people, 3 of us has little shards of coral from walkin out to the lineup since its a lil hard to paddle out in 6 inches of water, but way to be a complete dueshbag, congrats on that. I guess have penetrable skin makes me a kook, right on ****wad. Maybe you should go back to puerto rico and get that stick removed from ur butt.

9. Mackin'_L.I.

Mackin'_L.I. Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Oh yeh, and check out Wilderness, its right near the airport

10. Jatrix

Jatrix New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I live in Rincon from December to May each winter and I absolutely love it. Its my home away from home. If you are mellow and not agro you'll be fine. Respect the locals and act like a guest in someone else's country and everyone there will give you pointers on every thing from where to eat, surf and sleep.

I bar tend at the Rum Shack stop in while you are there.

It is mostly reef break so you need to keep your feet up. Its the sea urchins that get in your feet not the coral. Its very painful and not easy to get out. It could easily ruin the entire trip. I've had them in my hands and feet.

PR is also the most affordable place to get world class winter surf on the east coast. Cheap flights, food and places to stay. English is spoken almost every where no passport is needed and these the U.S. dollar. Beautiful girls what else do you want.

If you want to know more specifics let me know I've been going there for seven years and living there for three.

11. NCsurfer

Apr 27, 2009
    Yeah Its hard to imagine going to PR for to weeks and only having to spend about $150

12. NCsurfer

Apr 27, 2009
    Yeah I understand respecting the locals I know how it is to have out-of-towners come to CB and litter, cut people off, and park on the side of the street were their not supposed to. I know when I go to PR i can be considered a "damn tourist"

13. beagleagle

Aug 6, 2008
    haha listen to this guy what a p**sy

14. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    You definitely have to be aware of the coral and urchins in puerto rico. It can ruin a trip. You dont really have to wear booties, but be cautious more than anything when you are walking or paddling out in the lineup. I highly recommend bringing a basic first aid kit. If you get coral or urchins in you, you need to have some tweezers to get it out asap. They'll tear you up, and you can easily get infections.

15. Chucktownsurfer

Chucktownsurfer New Member

Sep 18, 2009
    PR is some of the best surf on this side of the world. I have nothing but love for the Rincon/Aguadilla area. Really really fun surf but do watch out for the urchins. You can pretty much count on getting at least one spike in your foot. I had several in my foot weeks later and only after some major work was I able to get them out. But if I had to do it all over again I would. I can't wait to go back! (I actually lived there for 6 years when I was growing up but never surfed! Thanks mom and dad!).

16. wbluke

wbluke Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    we are leaving october 15th-march 15th lol and yeah you should def check out wilderness sick waves i have also surfed wishing wells, manglito, los dunas, sauceys, jobos, middles, table tops, but my fav is wilderness and wishing wells....good look finding manglito

17. wbluke

wbluke Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    ... WTF where did u go did u surf inches or indicators!! ahah a

18. NCsurfer

Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks for the spots