Looking for shapers in NJ

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by soulrider, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    He only makes kite boards now.

2. bennysgohome

bennysgohome Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Thanks! I was always waiting to hear back from another shaper on his boards. I won't say who but there are some people talking smack about him but it may be more about them losing business. I always though his work looked good. I can tell he markets well. Sometimes you get people spreading false information which isn't good especially when they are known in the area.

3. The_Pretzel

The_Pretzel Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Funny you mention that - I bought a 7ft funboard from Dave that I was pretty stoked on. About a week before it was ready I stopped by eastern lines where the guy working there proceeded to **** all over Dave's work. Reading all the positive feedback here makes me feel a lot better. This board is my first real board after the wavestorm and I haven't been sure if I've been riding poorly or the board has. Trying to transition in the winter with the 5/4 is also a contributing factor I'm sure.

4. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Dave Grimes in Long Branch.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.grimes.9849
    I only have rode a longboard of his and liked the way it felt, but alot of the locals are riding his boards and the shapes and construction look solid.

5. HaoleNJ

HaoleNJ Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    +1 for Wynn. I've had 4 or 5 of his boards and they've all been good boards. He is very responsive and his turn around time is good too.

I'm sure the other nj shapers who have popped up within the last 5years are good too, but I've been preferential to Wynn.

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Same here... haven't ridden his boards, but have seen them ridden by respected locals, who say a lot of good things about them.

7. mudpuppet

mudpuppet Member

Dec 16, 2010
    http://www.essencesurf.com Gene is out of Wayne NJ, a good guy, and I think he starts most of his boards with a cnc machine. I have been riding one of his board for the last three years on and off, and i like it very much. I'm pretty sure you can get out the door for under 500.

8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Gene is a good guy... he helped me out many years ago when I was building a lot of boards. I owe him... Not very familiar with his boards, though.

9. soulrider

soulrider Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks all you swellies for the info! Glad to check all these guys out. I just ended up grabbing a New FireWire for a steal that I couldn't let pass. I'll be wanting a new groveler in the next couple months so I'll be talking to some of these guys.