Libtech x ...Lost: Board Review

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by live4truth, Nov 18, 2016.

1. frothy cheese

frothy cheese Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    image.jpg image.jpg went for it. $500. 6'2 vert. Ideally would've gotten a 6' sub buggy but for over $200 cheaper and still brand new and driving home with it I'm not complaining. I'm 6' and it feels like it'll be a great real wave board. Hopefully I'll find out this Sunday in cnj

Next step financially is to fix up the ones taking space in the garage and have them ready for spring board swaps.

Pretty stoked!

2. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Sickkkkk dude. Throw us a ride report on Sunday, it should be firing! Im on tap for a lib pj next.

3. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Yeah man for sure. Funky with the rails and concave but if you ask me a good amount of fun in surfing or skating is just riding different boards/shapes/etc.

4. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Very happy with el bort. Once i got in the habit of going later on drop ins than i usually do i started having a lot of fun waves. Was about chest-head high where i was yesterday with some bigger sets. Got an amazing barrel right in front of the jetty and didnt make it out but was still my wave of the day. You get more speed on this thing than i anticipated. Glad i got it, hopefully theres decent days this week to use it again

Only thing that was truly foreign to me was that i could feel it flex differently from a normal board. I never understood what that exactly meant until i got in the water with this and could feel it. Not even in a bad way just different

To sum it up: frothing

5. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    I too went out Sunday and first rode the shortround and then jumped on the sub buggy. After 4 good sessions on the short round I have yet to find the right conditions for it..not sure if it's the outline, rocker or what but I'm just not really clicking with it. May set it up as a quad and a few more sessions before I start considering letting it go. Lmk if any of you are interested for he right price I'd probably let it fly...

Sub buggy is such a different story...I love it. Sunday was the perfect wave for it. Flex is a bit weird and had a few awkward moments on it but really is a great board. Easy to move it around...releases really well. Can't wait to ride it going front side...got a few solid shacks with it as well...

6. Micky

Micky Member

Mar 4, 2016
    I tried the PJ, and liked it. I just felt that the rails are too round or maybe it has too much volume for me. The board didn't grip on bottom turns.

7. robgnyc

robgnyc Active Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Which Hayden's were you riding and how do you compare them?

I'm kinda going the other way. I've ridden Losts for years, currently have a 5'5 Bottom Feeder and a 5'9 Mini Drive (standard poly) and about the same height and weight as you.

I picked up a 5'6 Hypto in the fall and have been riding it in most everything this fall/winter. When I jump back on the Bottom Feeder, it feels too flat and slabby and while the Mini Driver is good for really good waves, the Hypto can handle barrels as good or better so it's become a one board quiver.

Feel like at least with the Hypto, Hayden got the rocker a little more dialed in. Nose is low but doesn't feel catchy (unlike the Shortround/Rocket rocker) and the narrow tail holds in everything although it's a little narrow for me for groveling where the Bottom Feeder can surf knee high waves no problem.

Rode a 5'5 Lib Tech PJ expecting to love it but found the rails a little bulky and while the construction was nice, I probably should be on a 5'3 given the float and bulk.

8. misfit27

misfit27 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    .02 on Lib Tech from a guy who's had one for a few years. I got a Bowl Series 6'1 (I'm 180ish, 6'1) as a travel board before the Lost came out. I love the durability, and I find the board to work pretty well in a wide range of conditions. It was my only board for 2 weeks in Nosara, and it worked pretty well in 2'-12' (pretty infinite fin settings that I may never understand). I know the original Lib shapes have been love/hate (much more hate), but anyone I've let try mine has been pretty happy with it. The only thing is that the material does take a little bit of getting used to. Kind of hard to explain, but it feels like it paddles slowly until paddling for a wave, then I'm often surprised at the acceleration. As a thruster it holds pretty well, and I find it pretty easy to whip around. As a quad in smaller stuff, it works, but it wouldn't be my first choice as a groveler. I can't speak to fixing it because I haven't had to, but from what I understand, suncure over gashes is all you need as long as you don't care how it looks. If you do care how it looks, you're probably looking at the wrong board anyway...

9. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Was just going to post on this thread the other day...glad it was topped. Still surfing my libs pretty regularly and actually prefer the sub buggy and PJ to the shortround. I just can't make the shortround click like the other two boards. Out of 8-10 sessions on it only 1-2 were good and not times the waves lacked power and were during a high tide. I'm guessing it's the rocket style rocker...I also picked up a carbon wrap baby buggy which is a step down to the sub buggy is pretty much magic. Anyway boards have been pretty durable and held up great compared to the Hayden's I've had...hardly a ding or pressure. However, did have to return my sub buggy to the shop for a warrranty claim...fin box broke at bottom of box probably from hitting my knee or shoulder in some solid surf...lib warranties it and sent me a brand new one...pretty unreal! So loving the tech and the shapes.

I had about 8 or so Hayden's...hyptos, shred sleds, a couple of love buzzes. The ...losts are all a bit more refined. The hyptos rails are pretty full with a forward outline and really work in a rang e of waves especially due to that pin tail. I liked Hayden's 3-staged rockers. It took my a while to get used to the PJ and as I said above I really don't like the rocker/outline combo on the short round. The sub buggy rides a lot like the lovebuzz but a more refined foil. Sits better in the wave, easier to imitate turns...etc. I ride the 5'3" PJ and it's nothing like the hypto...hytpo with so much volume forward makes getting in to waves ridiculously simple. PJ requires a bit more work but with sub a different tail shape/foil way easier to push through turns comparatively.

I loved the hypto but the boards are really different. The hypto has a higher end imho...

10. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Hijack! I got the Short Fat lib/mayhem snowboard and its really sweet if there is more than 5"

11. surfin

surfin Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    i find the bigger guys and heavy front foot surfers seem to like the short round and bowl , the pj is universal if you take the time to find the right size , The vert and areola are decent shapes but takes a little to get used too. the lowered deck and flex throws off a lot of peeps . The sub buggy is a better shape then the rest of the field as for performance , if you ride lost boards give one a try . as for the 7 foot pick up stick lib made , I'm still playing around with it . The last time i took it out , it beat me up a little, tried to hang ten , cheated five and went over the falls and ripped me suite falling on the fins . With libs it takes a few sessions to find the groove , but love the noise it makes when kiting it with speed , dampers out the flutter you get with a poly with a decent rocker . and they take beating very well . and if your really interested and don't want to make that jump into buying one , if you know where to find me i would be willing to hand one of mine over for test ride .

12. derpdive

derpdive New Member

Aug 15, 2017
    Has anyone got a chance to ride a pick up Stix? I'm looking to get into riding bigger boards cuz there are some long fat points around here. I've got a Lib short round, which I like OK. The durability has been fantastic but the construction is pretty hard and gives the board a bit more chatter when the winds on. I have a feeling this will be a lot worse on a big board. What do you guys think?

13. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    How much do you bench press and do you have pics of your girlfriend to share?

14. derpdive

derpdive New Member

Aug 15, 2017
    Ha is that a welcome to the forum reply?

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Only once you comply with the request......especially the GF pics.

16. mudpuppet

mudpuppet Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Have the extension ramp and its a great board, easy to get into the small stuff and fun in the bigger. Not much rocker so when it gets steep you have to keep that mind. But it fills a lot of voids for a Jersey quiver.

17. derpdive

derpdive New Member

Aug 15, 2017
    Hahaha!

Thanks mudpuppet.