Long boards to Chicama

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by Agabinet, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    I am going to Peru . . . next fall. I know long way off. I've heard alternatively that Chicama only goes off like crazy or not at all, and I've been told that it usually is somewhere between knee high and head high. I am an intermediate surfer, I love my 6' Evo, but on smaller days like my HPLB. I am flying LATAM, so I can take two boards for one price if they don't weigh over 70 lbs, but man, this is THREE FLIGHTS. BOS-JFK, JFK-Lima, Lima-Trujillo. Taking a 9 foot board just seems like a pain.

Advise?

TIA

2. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Schlepping a longboard bag through the airport is a colossal pain in the ass. Heavy. Awkward. You will most likely have to carry ir through migración and customs. If you can make do with a smaller board, even a seven footer, then do so. Also, pack some tie-downs. The Pacific Ocean has enough push to carry my old and heavy butt on a short bort on even a small swell. If all else fails see if you can carry a shorty and rent a log at your destination.

3. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Not much to rent at Chicama. And surfing a legend-wave like that, you'll want your own sticks.

I always go with wheels. Adds weight, but who cares when I'm schlepping through monster airports like ATL, IAD, IAH or MIA. Maybe JFK, too.

One good thing is that if you fly UA, you can check the damn thing all the way through to TRU. This is cause UA code shares with Avianca. If you're taking the flight that gets you into LIM late at night, then spending the night at the Wyndham in LIM, then catching that early Latam flight to TRU, that would require you to pick up your boarts at LIM & re-check them the next morning with Latam.

Just curious, are you going to Chicama with Surf Simply in September...?

4. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Plenty of days at chicama where you'll be really happy you had a log....its pretty rolly and not big if there's not a lot of swell..but would still be super fun on the log

5. followoz

followoz Active Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Similar situation. Hiking Machu Pichu in early July (wife's bucket list) then to Chicama to surf for a few days before heading back to US. Thought I read somewhere about rentals at Chicama but can't seem to find any on Chicama surf hotel site or wave hunter site. Anybody got up date info would be much appreciated.

6. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Heres my two cents:

Going to peru on tuesday. Im not bringing any boards, despite having a full quiver (including beaters) and funds to do so. I got dirt cheap airfare from united which eliminates this possibility.

After traveling to Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Costa Rica, and both u.s. coasts a bunch, i would never again travel with a board. Lima has a plethora of shapers, and for the $200 minimum you need to spend now a days to transport a board you can get a new one for a few hundo more or just buy a used log. plus the mobility it gives you in the initial stages of your trip, I would not recommend travelling with a board period and just buy one when you get there.

My opinon has been swayed by the fact that every time i travel with a board the TSA dings it or totals it. (despite packaging it properly and using hard cased bags)

Also, when i go on surf trips they are in excess of a month or more (not the week or 2 week weekend warrior surf conference) so it makes economic sense to spend 200 bux for a month or two of surf.

Anyone that tells you they need "their special quiver" or "their specific boards", or even "white foam" to surf is either full of crap, a professional surfer (small minority), rich and spoiled, or not a versatile surfer. Throw a screen door under my feet and Ill be happy as long as it floats.

Realistically, anywhere with waves you can find a beater 6'0 - 7'0 thruster that floats just fine( in your case a long board might be tougher but if your flexible no problemo amigo) , and if you stay in the right international hostel digs surfers are always open to trade based on conditions.

I bought and sold 3 boards in costa rica and came out behind $70 bux for two months of surfing. Got to ride 3 different crafts (one was even brand new), met people through the exchanges (even sold one to a hot chick from France), and didn't have to deal with the airline company's crap.

Your choice, but from my experience the price of buying a board at your destination (lima not chic.) far outweighs or at least equals the cost of transporting your boards. Plus, you don't need to worry about the tsa f a g s screwing yours up, and you get to experience new foam under your feet which in my opinion is one of the most fun parts of being a surfer.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I have been there (chicama) and I also have traveled with and without my boards.

This is my advise- this is one wave that you'll want your own board. Specially if it's going off... but keep in mind it needs to be like 12-15 ft in Lima for it to be head hi in chicama. So if you can- bring both. It will be worth the one or two days of hassle flying with them. Trust me.

When I went years ago- there was no board rental or even sales in chicama. And no where close by. You'll either have the hassle of a day of traveling with your boards- or the hassle of spending a day or two (when you could be surfing) trying to find a board to buy/rent. If you go to Lima -that's a different story, plenty of cheap boards. Unless things changed in the past 10 yrs, not many boards in chicama. And the wave itself is hit or miss- bring a longboard....

If your worried about ding- go to homedepot and buy pipe insulation (for 2 inch copper pipe) and slit the insulation long ways and wrap your intire boards rails with the insulation. Use masking tape to help hold it on. Never had a ding when I flew like that... even with logs...

8. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    +1 It works, btw they make the pipe insulation pre-sliced.

9. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    IMG_2661.jpg this is the only solution and the only time I've never had a board and Jordan is when I've done this and it works.

10. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Exactly nice pic showing how it's done

11. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    Yes!

12. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    Like that Rusty!

13. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    Thanks to all for advice. I think the evo will do it. Well wrapped.

14. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I had a shiiiit longborat coffin from Curve. My boarts got rail shattered to / from MEX in Dec16. Bummer experience.

Sounds like you also had shiiiiite boart bag. I returned my Curve coffins for full refund.

Have taken one longboart, well wrapped, to CR multiple times, no damage ever. Ironically, in a Curve bag.

Dakine makes the best bags IMHO. Some guys pay out the arse for Midnight Custom bags (if they bother answering the tel, good luck with them) but Dakine 10mm bags are solid.

Pipe wrap on the rails, blue tape beats masking tape, light cardboard on the deck.....'top load only' painted on your coffin.....buena suete.

15. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    that only works if the tsa doesn't rip it all apart and don't re-package it. Happened on 2/3 of my recent surf trips. one time they didn't even zip the bag back up, and i watched my tail get a massive ding as it headed down the conveyor belt towards me. Bubble wrap, cardboard and foam hanging out of the open boardbag. had the little "youve been screened/screwed by tsa" note in there. Next to impossible to file a claim too (only through fax, need witnesses, you waive all liability when you pay your baggage fees etc) Its like the more you try to package it, the more it looks like drugs and the more they'll rip it apart. I personally just think they like the challenge.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  16. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    Additionally i just found this website which has basically any kind of board your looking for in Peru for less than the airline fees. Repost it the day you buy it and say hello to a free surfboard for the duration.

http://www.vendotablasperu.com/

But like i said, depends on the duration of your trip and where your going. If your flying into Lima (which I assume you are) and are staying for more than 2 weeks going board hunting for a day is one of the best parts of a surf trip! Especially with deals like this.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  17. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Dang, I've never ran into any issues doing this, sounds like some bad luck dude.

18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    +1
    Never had those TSA issues, either. Traveled plenty. Once in awhile they loosen an internal strap in the coffin, but nothing like what you've been through.

Maybe consider removing the NORML & 4-20 stickers from the outside of your bag...? :cool:

19. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    Think its the shaggy blonde hair and the fact that everything I own looks crappy

20. rearly9986

rearly9986 Active Member

Apr 11, 2012
    My board

I like to use plastic wrap, it easy and does not stick to your board.
    But just wrap the rails and pack the nose well.
    Yes it can be costly, but if you snap a rental $$$$$$$$$$$$.