Stock trading

Discussion in 'Non Surf Related' started by Zippy, Dec 25, 2016.

1. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    too late to get back in game now springs coming..the beach babes would miss me

2. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    QCOM- intermediate hold- 1month-1 year
    RPD- Float is an issue and it would be traded...possible multiple times in a short period of time.
    FEYE-jury is still out on this one....I like that it is unpopular and they are generating some top line. CFO thing did give me pause.

it's never too late Frost...you could buy a new suite for the season!!!

3. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    frosthro.jpg

4. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Don't fret aboot trading, frostye, concentrate on youre breaste stroke :cool: and throw that shiiiiite in the water

5. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
  6. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    [​IMG]

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Feb 25, 2017
    WSJ

Warren Buffett intensified his attacks on Wall Street money managers Saturday, saying that investors wasted more than $100 billion over the last decade on expensive advice.

The billionaire devoted a large section of his widely read Berkshire Hathaway shareholder letter to arguments against stock pickers that charge high management fees and fail to beat the broader market.

He also declared victory in his $1 million bet with another asset manager that low-cost index funds would out earn hedge funds over the span of a decade.

“The bottom line,” Mr. Buffett wrote, is that “when trillions of dollars are managed by Wall Streeters charging high fees, it will usually be the managers who reap outsized profits, not the clients.”

His goal, he said, is to deliver significant earnings growth over time and predicted that will come in fits and starts. “Every decade or so,” he writes, “dark clouds will fill the economic skies, and they will briefly rain gold. When downpours of that sort occur, it’s imperative that we rush outdoors carrying washtubs, not teaspoons. And that we will do.”

Mr. Buffett has long said his preferred time period for holding a stock is “forever” but he noted in the letter that there can be exceptions.

“It is true that we own some stocks that I have no intention of selling for as far as the eye can see,” he wrote. “But we have made no commitment that Berkshire will hold any of its marketable securities forever.”

He instead saved his sharpest comments for pricey money managers who pledge to beat the market, saying that in his lifetime he has identified “ten or so professionals” who can do so successfully. Mr. Buffett became one of the world’s richest people by investing in undervalued stocks and buying companies.

“If 1,000 managers make a market prediction at the beginning of a year, it’s very likely that the calls of at least one will be correct for nine consecutive years,” he wrote. “Of course, 1,000 monkeys would be just as likely to produce a seemingly all-wise prophet. But there would remain a difference: The lucky monkey would not find people standing in line to invest with him.”

Invariably, he wrote, management fees eat into investors’ returns. He took aim at a popular target, the hedge fund “two and twenty” structure, where a manager charges an annual 2% of assets plus 20% of profits earned.

In 2007 Mr. Buffett bet $1 million that his chosen index fund, the Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares, would outperform hedge funds over the next decade. The firm that took the other side of that bet, Protégé Partners, chose five funds of hedge funds. Such funds charge an additional layer of fees on top of those charged by each hedge fund.

None of those five funds outperformed the S&P 500 since the start of the bet, Mr. Buffett said in his letter. There is “no doubt” he will win the contest when it concludes Dec. 31, he added. The proceeds will go to the winner’s chosen charity.

More investors are heeding Mr. Buffett’s advice as they lose faith in traditional money managers. Investors pulled a net $342.4 billion from U.S.-based actively managed funds last year, according to Morningstar, while pouring a record $505.6 billion into U.S.-based passively managed funds.

The biggest beneficiary of this shift is Vanguard Group, which started the first index fund for individual investors 40 years ago. At the end of January its assets reached a record $4 trillion, following a year when Vanguard’s funds pulled in more new money than all rivals combined.

Mr. Buffett in his letter Saturday praised Vanguard founder Jack Bogle as a “hero.”

“If a statue is ever erected to honor the person who has done the most for American investors, the handsdown choice should be Jack Bogle.”

8. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Nice write up, sounds familiar! :cool:

9. zagaff3r

zagaff3r Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2016
  10. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Damn straight! Gaff lol great one

11. BonerSurfs

BonerSurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Checking in (like a week late)...

I've read to about here on the thread, and figured I'd chime in. I 1000% agree with what Brad said about day trading. I've been trading for about 8 years now, and I've had my account nearly wiped about 3 times now. Anyone thinking about day trading should get it through their head that this WILL happen to you, and you are not an exception to the rule. Its a learning experience.

As far as my trading these days is concerned, I've stopped chasing "Big Winners", and become much more conservative (I used to trade my entire account on every trade with full margin, and lose or gain thousands per day). Trading the VIX has become my staple. I've never seen a stock (or in this case index) that is so predictable. And I still trade S&P and oil futures. Went full account full margin on the snapchat IPO yesterday, and held it for a whole hour... That was fun.

And also, yall listen to Yankee... Dudes an OG trader.

12. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    And to answer the original question... In theory, yes, there could be a point where no one will buy your stock.

In reality, no (unless your trying to dump an absurd amount of shares, like millions). This is because banks/institutions engage in high frequency trading. Basically, they earn a very very small monetary gain for "making a market". Its literally fractions of a cent, but when you have a computer program "making markets" millions of times a day, those fractions of a penny add up.

13. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Let's just make sure everyone knows, that just like with medical advice, its a safe bet to get your investment advice on the swellinfo forum.

14. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  15. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I just went on Bloomberg Business site to check the surf for the weekend and try to get advise on what to do if one takes too many boner pills...
    No help whatsoever... That is why I come to SI for everything.

16. zagaff3r

zagaff3r Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2016
    SNAP! Gyarrrgh, the short's be plunderin that booty soon.

[​IMG]

17. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Both your posts are spot-on. Apologies for spacing on your posting moniker.

Nicely played. I like your self-described recent change in course. Methinks you will survive, plunder & prosper! (see Gaff's pirate guy, aye matey)

Been trading options. Not so much trading as buy-writes. Holding for dividend payoffs & collection of premiums. 20-30% ROI thus far - - that's fine with these well-worn tradin' shoes these daze.

18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Is this some sort of half-baked legal rejoinder or are you miffed that people are ignoring you & also don't really give a fat gnat's ass what you think about anything?

Wait.....wait.....don't answer any of that.

We know the scoop. You, do not. Have a nice voyage.

19. BonerSurfs

Apr 14, 2007
    Whoa Yank... Don't hate on Micha. Dude provides us a much needed service.

20. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    lol......was aimed at the chubby furry in texas, he's banned everyone of note.... not directed @ sklut