THE BEST wetsuit

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by B1ll, Oct 19, 2009.

1. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    definetely can be used under any wetsuit. i don't think you have to worry about getting shocked. I'm sure they tested it and it's from one of the best companies in the industry not some guy on the corner.

That with a 3/2 could prob get you through Dec./Jan then if you used that with a 4/3 I would say you could go through the winter with it. Imagine if they came out with one that had a detachable hood. That would be sick and would basically increase any of your suits by a mm or two.

2. bodyboarddude

bodyboarddude Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    yeah,that would be *****in if it came with a hood that was heated too.it would kill any chill from the wind & i'd be curious to see how it would be easing the shock of those cold water duck-dives!:D

3. wallysurfr

Oct 23, 2007
    I've never even seen a patagonia suit but IMO, I would stick to the surf companies for your suit. They're tried and true and with the technology that has recently come out (double liquid welds, zip systems, etc) I would want my suit from a surf co. not a kayaking co.

4. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    never buy a rip curl

ok so.. do not buy and e bomb, they are ment for flexability. the fbomb is ment for warmth. i find that rip curl wetsuits are awlful. their seems are bad.

i would look at a 5/4/3 oneill mutant. which is probably the best deal for your price range.

the quiksilver cypher, patogina, matuse, psycho 2 hooded are all out of your price range.

5. bodyboarddude

Sep 26, 2009
    i love my quicksilver springsuit & was thinking of trying the Ignite full,until i read this guys post.i may just stick with Ripcurl if they offer this lifetime garantee.most suits would last a long time anyway,but you could affectively not buy another suit until there was some huge change in the technology that made all others obsolete.this would empower the every day surfer to buy a new suit when he WANTED too,not because he had too.i would definately want 1 that was made by a company that has many years experience in the surfing industry.i like that the Patagonia may be super-high end,BUT,i'd hate to get it & find some detail lacking cause it was designed for something else.:)

6. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    x2 on the rip curls. they jsut seem to have issue with their seams lately. I'm a big west and xcel fan.

7. bodyboarddude

Sep 26, 2009
    man,there really is alot to consider here.i like the guarantee Ripcurl is offering,but i don't want to be constanly sending it in for repair if there quality-control has been neglected on their current line of suits.my Quicksilver is awsome when it comes to quality control.i've had that spring at least 5 years & had NO issues with seems,zipper,nothing.the only thing i've ever fixed on that was the fraying of a velcro tab,that i simply took a match to & fixed the fray instantly.hmmm,lot's to consider here...:)

8. smoked

smoked Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I asked a similar question about 6 weeks ago. Since I'm a cheap bastard, I researched not only the brands but also learned about the construction. Specifically, the seams.

Wetsuits that are sealed AND TAPED can provide comfort in water that is 5-10 degrees colder than a suit that does not also have taped seams.

For example, an O'neill Epic 4/3 with sealed seams is water temperature rated at 55degrees and up. It retails for $159 (from wetsuitwearhouse). But, a sealed and taped Quiksilver IGNITE 4/3 is temp rated at 45-50degrees and up. It sells for $269.

The same goes for 5/4 suits. I almost jumped on that XCel Hawai 5/4/3 at whiskey militia until I saw the water temperature rating was only down to 45degrees (is there a damn degree character?). It was still a great deal compared to the original price, but it's thicker than a comparably rated 4/3 that has taped seams. So, it *may* not be as flexible as the 4/3. I don't know so won't speculate. BTW, amazon still has the XCel Hawaii for $245 with free shipping.

Here's my current list of potential buys:

All 4/3s are Sealed AND taped for 45-50 degrees and up:
    ***4/3mm Men's Rip Curl CORE FIRESKIN Full Wetsuit, $240 ***45-50 degrees and up***

4/3mm Men's Quiksilver IGNITE Full Wetsuit, $270, ***45-50 degrees and up***

4/3mm Men's Rip Curl Ultimate E-Bomb Full Wetsuit, $300, ***45-50 degrees and up***

4/3mm Men's Hyperflex AMP Full Wetsuit, $250, ***45-50 degrees and up***

5/4s, sealed and taped:
    5/4/3mm Men's Hyperflex FLOW Hooded Wetsuit 40-45 degrees and up $199.99

5/4/3mm Men's Hyperflex AMP Full Wetsuit 40-45 degrees and up $269.99

5/4/3mm Men's Body Glove FUSION Hooded Wetsuit 40-45 degrees and up $215.00

6/5, sealed and taped:
    6/5/4mm Men's Hyperflex FLOW Hooded Wetsuit 35-40 degrees and up $229.99

Just my .02 cents and worth what you paid. ;-)

9. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    I always thought fluid welded seams were way better than taped but they are frought with issues.

Another HUGE factor is zipper. a chest zip is miles above a back zip. BTW, for the money Hyperflex is a great suit.

10. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Obviously you know very little about suits. :rolleyes: How can you give advice when you don't even know what a Patagonia looks like. :confused:.....So you shouldn't even have an opinion. I have had pretty much every suit you can think of....been surfing for 25 years. Patagonia is the best suit I have ever owned. With my Vapor coming in 2nd. And btw Patagonia can be bought in a surf shop. :eek: I'm not saying main stream suits are not good. He asked what the BEST suit was.

11. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    yeah, i don't understand the whole 45 degree rating on that xcel 5/4/3. i wore my xcel infiniti 4/3 into january, and wore it last march and april. water must have been around the 45 degree mark if not colder, and i was able to manage long sessions. i'm not one of those ppl that can stay warm in anything either. how are they going to rate with such a high temp? this is the description.

The 5/4/3 Infiniti X-Zip Wetsuit gives you the dependable award-winning performance of the Infiniti design but with XCEL’s X-Zip entry for uncompromised comfort while paddling. This 5/4/3mm wettie is ideal for winter waters. XCEL engineered the Ultrastretch neoprene panels with the absolute bare minimum of seams. Fewer seams = more movement. Fusion seam technology and snag-free Ultraspan Superlite neoprene eliminate chafing, ensure waterproofing, and stretch more than neoprene with conventional seam taping—we're talking 300% plus stretch. Duraflex knee panels and pressure-bonded seams on the lower half bolster durability without compromising movement. You won't find a more comfortable 5/4/3mm suit for less.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  12. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    I used to be an xcel whore....still have a few. I don't like xcel anymore...Their 3/2 and springs are good...but anything above that I can't stand. maybe the newer suits are more flexable. I gave up on them after my last 4/3. My buddies 5/4/3 Vapor is lighter than my xcel 4/3. (shrug) Besides xcel is made in Hawaii....what the hell does Hawaii know about wetsuits? I mean they know alot about surfing in general but comon' wetsuits? btw - I saw the new bamboo **** on the chest of their suits? Anyone know whats the deal is with that?

Remember wetsuits are a preference.....

13. smoked

smoked Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I believe you are correct and I *think* they are found in the higher end models. The models I can't afford. Too many mouths to feed. :)

Thanks, I didn't know that about the chest zip. I've heard great things about Hyperflex. My first purchase was a Rip Curl Dawn Patrol 3/2. I like the warranty of the Rip Curl. But, since this will be my first time buying wetsuits, I'm considering buying 3 different brands; one brand per thicknesses (3/2, 4/3 and 5/4). Just to experience the differences.

I should also state that a feature of the Xcel Hawaii is that it has *less* seems. So, less seams to deteriorate or less potential for problems. Theoretically, at least.

14. wallysurfr

Oct 23, 2007
    Maybe you need a lesson on what IMO means. I never said patagonia wasn't a good suit I said I haven't seen one then I stated what my opinion was which I am entitled to on this forum. What I did say is that I would feel more comfortable in buying from a surf company that has designed the suit for surfing as opposed to buying a suit from a kayaking company.

I highly doubt that you have had pretty much every suit. That statement alone really makes me question your 25 years of "surfing" experience.

15. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    You should go with the Hyperflex Amp 5/4/3 or the Amazon Xcel (similar price) to stay with in your budget. don't worry about the 6/5/4. You shouldn't need it around here. I used a 5mm all last winter and the water got into the 30s.

16. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    HA! I was surfing while you were still ****ting in your diapers. And yes I have had pretty much every brand suit over the years. So, I'll say it again.....You have no place to give an opinion when you don't know **** about suits to begin with. I can tell you are a little fellow. And, I am a grown man that has been surfing since the early 80's. Over and Out!

17. wallysurfr

Oct 23, 2007
    It's official. You're a kook who is stuck in the 80's.

18. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I have a bodyglove vapor 4/3 (amazing warm+durable suit- lasted 4 yrs and still going)
    7mil xcel drylock mittens
    7mil rip curl classic boots
    hyperflex 5mil hood

i dont care what anyone else says, 7mil gloves and boots keep me toasty. the 4/3 is really warm too

19. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    where'd you get the hyperflex hood?

20. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    BAHAHAHAHA.....a classic reply! Ok....sry didn't mean to upset you. :D But, seriously...if you really don't know too much about suits. You shouldn't be giving advice on them. Especially on suits you have never even seen. (that CAN be purchased at surf shops) Now, if you really want me to say things to your face.....I CAN. Otherwise, I'm gonna forget this and go surf.