CR Trip Report

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by aka pumpmaster, Mar 27, 2017.

1. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    For sure I've noticed that many "surfable" days in the EC would be an empty lineup in California. I understand the dynamics involved. I'm still pretty picky after all these years, but if I were in CR I would probably just nut up and paddle out because a) I'm on vacation, and b) it's warm. Besides, I don't golf...got some other hobbies though.

Mitchell, only 30 guys out at Swarmi's? Must've been snowing lol. Can't begin to tell you how many days there was swell, only to waste the entire morning driving from IB to Encinitas...then go home without surfing. All this time I thought it was just me lol.

2. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    supreme logic

3. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    true bouy. dude told me on FB months ago, inquiring about MalPais on CR, said "they get some decent waves, if you're into the whole journey (not the band, they suck) thing". F yeah, i'm into the journey thing. i'm not waiting for a hurricane to sweep thru before i venture out and find waves. absolutely get after it. maybe golfers will agree (my swing is godawful by the way- per my buddy who plays).
    anyhow, i looked up Zuma b/c Imperial knows CR like the back of his hand as i've come to realize, and saw a SUV to rent (i've been assigned rental car duties). mentioned it to my bouys and one guy came saying "you should rent a truck. insurance might stick you with any scratches on the hood (on top of the roof racks)" what the sht is that about? i can't see CR car rental places would be striving that hard to stick it to me. Are trucks that vital? fyi the bouy was the only one who's been to CR, so i didn't give him sht about the remark

4. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    While we're on the subject of CR, I was doing some exploring on Google Earth and came across a series of reef points in an area called Matapalo. Looks crazy good but almost completely off the grid.

Won't be honeymooning there but worth a trip with a buddy or 2.

Anybody have experience there?

5. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Matapalo is a boat ride across the bay from Pavones...and yes its really off the grid!!! Been there 3 times...magical part of the world I must say!!!

6. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Yeah wasn't sure if driving was an option lol. Thanks for all the aloha, I may be bugging you via PM as I get closer to liftoff.

Gotta ask, does it get as crowded as Pavones?

Does Pavones mean "big turkeys" in Tico?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  7. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Camped there in '94. Pretty much Jurassic Park. The road in wasn't bad, but we were on a limited budget and didn't even consider looking for a hotel. Then again there were no visible signs for hotels back then. But if you want perfection, perfection you will get if there is a decent South swell.
    Been all over CR except for the Tamarindo area. Stay in CR for several months two times. Total of 7 months.
    The best wave I surfed was actually on the Caribbean side. Can't remember the name of it. Pretty much an Indo style right hander. Other than that Pavones and Withes Rock were my faves. If you want softer waves Santa Teressa is a good spot. Hermosa is pretty top to bottom and depending on the sand a swell direction it can be classic or closeouts, and when it's big the paddle out can be brutal. La Terrazza is pretty much shore pound short rides. The next town North of Jaco there's a really good left reef wedge that I caught a gazillion times. You need a boat to get there and the take off spot is small. When we camped at Witches Rock there was no one there but us, except for one afternoon. Had beef with some French guy who showed up in a boat from Tamarindo. The wave there is pretty damn good and you're pretty much garunteed offshore wind all day. And Pavones. Well what can I say that hasn't been said. Caught it there DBOH+ for several days with no more than 10 guys out. This was pre internet of course. The 5th day there we woke up to chest high surf and literally 50 guys out.
    Of course this is going back almost 25 years and I'm sure things have changed, but I'm sure the waves are the same.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  8. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    Pump, nice threade and thanks for the pics. Especially the one of the headland at La Terrazza. Brings back good memories. Rented a nice a little apartment with a pool right next door to the Terrazza for 5 bucks a night. Ahh those were the days.

9. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Soundslike that might be Herradurra. Shallow and Sketchy when we where there (a long time ago)

10. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    isnt there some Marriott right there?

11. Ronnie Mund

Ronnie Mund Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Witches rock can get packed these days. It is cheap to get a boat ride out and a lot of people do it. They have boat trips for about $100 per person for a high tide session at witches, lunch then low tide at ollies point. Pretty good day, but you won't be alone out there.

Also, no whores. Dew.

12. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    Yeah that's it. It's not Herradurra proper. There's a left on the South end of Herradurra bay there that's super sketch and overall meh. I'm talking bout around the headland North. Actually there's a gated community there and if you know someone to get in, you can paddle right out to it. That wave is sooo good in the 6-10 foot range. It's not just a left. The right off the peak is decent but it pales to the left.
    Also if you ever have time and money to hire a boat and guide there are a couple more reefs North of there. They're fickle but worth a look.

13. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Still in the planning stage, will be my first CR trip and bringing the wife to celebrate so this time will need something fairly posh.

Right now we're looking at a nice hotel near Playa Langosta, so we can be near civilization but not smack dab in the middle of the Tamarindo madness. Looking at renting a nice 4wd because I like to explore, but limiting my driving to the areas between Avellanes to Dominical. Heading out during the wet season (August), so I'm curious as to which areas may not be accessible. I know there's a handful of beach breaks in the area, but I'd really like to find a quality reef break or 3, particularly with at least 1 well defined channel.

Pump, since this is your thread, feel free to throw the Kid a bone.

And anyone else who can help me out too. Maybe I can pay it forward on some cool Baja spots in the future.

14. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I want to rob a bank and go exploring! great detailed stories!

15. Ronnie Mund

Jul 6, 2012
    If you are staying at the Occidental, it is pretty good. There is a river mouth break right in front the gets good at high tide.If you cross the river there is about a 300 yard stretch of breach break that worked at all tides everytime I've been there. Other than those two spots, there is a lot of lava rock between Playa Langosta and Tamerindo that can look good but eats fins and cuts your feet up. The main break at Tamerindo is about a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel and is a really good wave but it gets really crowded. Keep walking and paddle across the estuary to Playa Grande (another 15 min walk) and there is a good mile stretch of sandy beach that seems to always be better than Tamerindo.

16. Ronnie Mund

Jul 6, 2012
    Also, the Tamerindo Diria is pretty good. It is in town but right on the beach. Good security, real clean, and close enough to walk to multiple breaks.

17. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Yeah definitely checking Grande too, probably set a couple days aside for Bruja and Ollie's. My biggest dilemma is crowds...don't like 'em. I kinda expect a crowd within a 30 drive North or South of Tamarindo, hence my main reason for a little exploration. Have a buddy that stayed at the Diria recently, but wife is sold on the Suizo.

I don't mind rocks. I like rocks. Especially if it keeps the crowds down.

This is gonna sound funny, but I don't really like rivermouths. Maybe not so funny since CR looks like The Land Of The Rivermouths on Google Earth lol. Mainly because sh1t and crocs flow outta them. But I'll surf them, it don't really bother me

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  18. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    stayed at witchs rock surf camp in Tamarindo! crossed that river mouth daily. I don't know what would be worse? getting rolled by a croc or bit by a bull shark! depends on the size I guess. don't really think like that at the time or it would ruin the trip! kinda on bonus time anyway with all the crazy shatt ive done!

19. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    I imagine that Roca Bruja and Ollies get pretty crowded these days, especially since pretty much any swinging d!ck can hire a boat from Tamarindo. Throw in all the surf camps in the area, and it just seems like paying to get into Disneyland lol. Did I mention how much I hate crowds.

So, what are the crowds normally like at these spots?

20. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Marea Brava? Thats where we stayed.