Sea life

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by red dog, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    That is funny!

2. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    We get sharks down here but they are mostly small black tips and such. Not very scary. I know there are bulls and hammerheads around but they usually stay out of sight. I don't think I've ever gone to the secret upcoast inlet without seeing a spinner though. Usually they are far outside of the line up but they can and do breach on the inside. Pretty awesome when a 4 foot spinner flies out of the water ten feet away. It's always a bit sketchy going out when the big bait pods are swishing around.

A manatee might freak me out briefly until I can make a positive ID. It's cool to see a pod of jacks in the wave as it breaks. See some golden rays from time to time and a 'cuda or two. I never see dolphins around here and we're just up the road from Flipper's home turf. Pelicans often come hang out with me when I'm surfing. Love watching the osprey fishing.

We get man-o-war and moon jellies when the winds blow them in from the east. Never been stung by a man-o-war but I know they suck. The sea life that has chased me out of the water more than anything is moon jellies. Stupid creatures that can't even control their own motion. They can get so thick here to where you can hardly paddle without hitting one. But the worst thing is the larvae and jelly bits (so called sea lice) that will infest the water at those times. Schit makes you itch so much you just can't stay in the water. Fukin moon jellies!

3. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    +1000 for this treade instead of yet another dumba$$ political\troll one. Between fishing\surfing\snorkeling\etc I've been lucky enough to see my share of cool sheet. Too much to list typing on this stupid as$ phone in between rebooting my POS laptop... again. Keep em coming, its a good time in between turning tricks at the whorehouse.

4. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    fish,sharks, blacktips spinners,bull,hammerheads. a few years back i saw 10-12ft hammerhead just chilling on the peak where i was at 5 minutes prior ripping though bait fish. Many loggerhead heads, dolphins, the wonderful sea nettles, the random man o wars blown up from south winds, a bunch of docks after hurricane Mathew. stepping on a 40 pound ray during some crazy beach replenishment. you got to love the ocean and as tlokein said turning tricks as well.

5. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    How did you get the weight of the ray you stepped on?

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    LOL :rolleyes:

7. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    just like all sharks are tagged, all rays have their weight (in KG and lbs) stamped on their backs. they show up every May 1 at the nearest college marine science extension to get their weights updated

sometimes they stick around till May 5 for tacos and beers

8. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    because ive caught many of the same size, while before paddling out i observed aboot 6 of them on the beach...which is the reason i walked away from them. do you even catch rays bro? i could feel the back spines on my feet which were a good 1-2 inches thick. im a stingray master and a stingray whisperer. So youuu betta chill out before i get my comrade rays to invade your break. they gonna stick you reaallll goode homes.

9. Scoopy!

Scoopy! Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2016
    [video=youtube;z9mokbcRbOg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9mokbcRbOg[/video]

10. zagaff3r

zagaff3r Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2016
    This morning as the sun was rising I was surrounded by a pod of bottlenose dolphins. A big one came up next to me, close enough to touch. They were just munchin and playing in the waves. There were at least two calves too. Are dolphin juveniles called calves?

About 3 weekends ago, me n a buddy, Chad, were surfing north side of the pier and this big ass, grey whale was just chilling about 50 or so feet from us. That's as close as I've been to one in the water. Every so often it would surface and spout or roll around a bit. And once it did a full-on surface out of the water to tail slap bit.

I don't know what whale's call their tricks

11. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    Moby.

12. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    not too long ago I walked by a Coney Island Whitefish heading back up the beach. It must have been from Queens, because that sucker was fully grown!

13. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    They scare the crap out of me. One time me and Mad Mike were surfing north point at Ocean Reef, it was big and breaking way way outside,and the water was churned up and we were the only two out,everyone else was smart and went to Palm Beach that day. Anyway, we were sitting way outside waiting for a set and Mike sees a bale and goes to grab it, and it was a stunned sting ray, a biggun, he probably got pounded on the inside and finally madeit out to rest, and almost gets grabbed. And the water, usually blue,is brown, so all I can see is this big pissed off shadow swimming herky jerky between Mike and me, we were no more than 15 yards apart.

This was a week after Steve Irwin got killed by one, so now I'm yelling at Mike in Aussie "Crikey you mother ****er if he stabs me I'll kill ya you fukiing wanker" and he's trying to apologize while laughing, and every ten seconds freaking out when the thing would take another swipe at him, then it would come back after me.

Finally another set came.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  14. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Had a close call with a dolphin dropping in on me in Baja. If I didn't straighten out the thing woulda landed on me.
    Sea turtles, seals, Rays, manitees, and sharks.
    Witnessed a shark feeding frenzy on a manitee just outside the lineup in Indo too. Pretty gnarly.

15. kookish

kookish Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Think I saw some seaweed once, and some guys with their wetsuits on backwards

16. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    Hey SCREWBY...these were taken at Inlet Watch. Right there at the inlet b\t CB and MAS just round the corner from your place. I've snorkeled about a couple hundred yards from there many times.

[video=youtube;pLXm1TY1AwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLXm1TY1AwM[/video]

Chomp chomp...

17. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    Stupid one video per post rule.

[video=youtube;BEzxlSRRSIY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEzxlSRRSIY[/video]

18. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    [video=youtube;QXNNTMeL3D8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXNNTMeL3D8[/video]

19. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    [video=youtube;M_-uOjB5Ekw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_-uOjB5Ekw[/video]

Ready to go do some spearfishing round the back side of the point?

20. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    bull sharks?? and where??