Winter Swim Fins

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by ECsponger, Oct 30, 2009.

1. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Don't worry my man, I know better than to go there without the booties, and I got some fin savers there before a few years ago cause I haggled them when I lost a Custom X fin and tried to get them to sell me the store display model, since I only needed one. Well they wouldn't so I ended up buying a new pair, and they threw in the fin savers for free. That left me with 3 fins all the same, which (go figure) I lost one of them in NC and didn't bring the backup fin. THUS, led me to get the Eon fins.

So the story comes back around again.

I got the Vipers there last winter during a sale and I tried them on with the booties and immediately knew that it wouldn't work out. So I bought them anyway and waited till summer to use them and they have been the best fins I've had to date. Those "Original Techs" look pretty decent so I might end up coming home with a new set.

While on the subject of winter gear.... how about winter bodyboards? I learned that some boards are just too stiff for the cold water in winter, anyone know of some decent boards that give a decent amount of flex, but hold their rigidity? I've been looking at some Nomad bodyboards in the 42.5 range or something along the lines.. the one I am looking at has a variable flex triple stringer, which I'm thinking might be too stiff. Right now I'm using a board with double stringers. Any positive input is desired.

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    wearing fins over booties can make such a big difference.

You should bring your booties into a shop, and try on some different fins to see which ones fit best.

My summer fins fit great, but any 3mm or 5mm booties makes my feet really cramped up and uncomfortable. For me, if I go up a size, then they are too big.

So, you might just have to switch brands, until you find the one that fits right with your booties. You are of course going to have your favorite brand, but if they dont fit with your booties, then they are worthless.

3. bodyboarddude

bodyboarddude Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    when i use the shoe lace as a fin teather,i tie them in a loop,then loop it around the fin.then,i slide a barrel clip or some kind of bead down on the string,that way when i put my foot through the loop,then in the fin,i just sinch the bead or barrel clip up to the back of my ankle.viola! you have a very effective cheap-@ss fin teather:D
    see my attachment bellow of my homemade jobbie-jobs.you can kinda see how'd they'd go on your foot & fin.i can take another photo of them on if anybody wants to see them on a fin & foot

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. Cwhite

Cwhite Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    ECsponger check your PM's

5. ocripcurrent

Feb 27, 2008
    I have bud I will reply tomorrow

6. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    Block Surf makes an inexpensive but solid fin tether that is great for warm & cool water (effective circumference up through 3/2 wetsuit + 1mm or 2mm wetsocks). For cold water I would recommend contacting Jay Reale, ebodyboarding.com, to find out what he has in stock that has an extra long wraparound ankle strap (for 6/4 wetsuit and 5mm to 7mm of fin socks) and an easy to grab pull tab on the lycra strap (because when you fingers are numb it is hard to get a good grip).

7. smoked

smoked Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Dude, I just bought those EON fins at Bethany Beach Surf Shop in August. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

BTW, I didn't even know they were EON, the box just says "e"

8. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I just bought a custom 1 stringer board with 2 layers of mesh and LOVE it. I like my boards stiff.
    Take a look at
    No6 Idol
    NMD/VS new 3D core boards
    Custom X's new mixed core boards (not sure if they are out yet)
    or PE duel stringer

9. bodyboarddude

bodyboarddude Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    nice,this is the official swellinfo bodyboard thread awsome:D

10. ocripcurrent

Feb 27, 2008
    Haha I thought they were called G fins at first cause the logo looks like a G

bodyboarddude, I know how to start a decent topic and keep it rolling.

Yah someone said Bethany Beach Surf Shop had em. My buddy, the one who lost one to begin with was going to buy them for me but they only had size L.

I contacted Liquid and asked them, but no response yet.

11. ocripcurrent

Feb 27, 2008
    Apparently this is is a popular fin shape:

Ebay Auction

12. ocripcurrent

Feb 27, 2008
    Hahaha, you know what? I freeking FOUND the lost fin 10 years later, no joke.

13. simod5

simod5 Super Moderator

Jan 26, 2014
    thanks for the update. was wondering how that turned out.

14. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  15. DaveNilsz

DaveNilsz New Member

Oct 29, 2020
    I'm sorry, maybe on eBay

16. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I need details!! Like randomly found it or your friend had it in his truck this whole time?

Notaseal likes this.