Being Your Own Boss

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Kanman, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Surfh2o

Surfh2o Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Sigmund, what's your line of business?

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Handjobs in dark alleys.

3. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Just spewed my coffee, good one DP

4. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    LMAO To be fair though, he just got promoted from rim job crew member, so he's moving up in the world.

5. Surfh2o

Aug 23, 2013
    Ya'll hirin'?

6. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Only positing available right now is for Fluffer. Will that work?

7. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Not gonna lie, pays well.

8. sigmund

Dec 7, 2015
    I own a site that helps people manage their business who sell on Amazon.

9. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Why would anyone need help selling things on the biggest, or second biggest after Ali Baba, site in the world? They must have tutorials that make it easy as pie.

10. Surfh2o

Aug 23, 2013
    Interesting, I've never heard of something like that. Care to release any details or is that your secret sauce?

11. Surfh2o

Aug 23, 2013
    I'll take what I can get...

12. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Reminds me of "The 40-Year Old Virgin" movie where that guy hooks up with some chick that helps people sell their stuff on Ebay.

13. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    LOL KR!!!!!

Siggie crushes retail mom and pop shops, proclaims to want to help common man

good times with the hypocritical left

14. jettyflea

jettyflea Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    After leaving college, I worked in the software industry for a while. I would leave each job for another every two years in order to bump up my salary. I've got to a comfortable salary to buy something close to the beach and I have been with my current job for a long time now. The reason I haven't left this job is we all telecommute from home. That gives me freedom to go for a surf on my lunch break or other times. Then, I can make up the time later.

I could always leave this job and make more money but I love the flexibility for surfing and time I get with the family. Money doesn't always mean happiness. You have to find something that works for you and most importantly makes you happy.

Good luck.

15. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    That seems tremendous. In terms of existence & perspective both.

16. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017

different industry, same setup
    being able to see the kiddo all day is great, and leaving the house to surf for a bit isn't a guilt trip, its actually needed.

somedays my wife says gtfo cranky pants, go surf

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Same here, minus the kids.

18. sigmund

Dec 7, 2015
    You would think, but if you sell 100K SKUs, it's never as easy as pie. Every business has different needs. I fill in the gaps, and automate some of the manual processes on Amazon.

19. sigmund

Dec 7, 2015
    Are you jelly?

20. jettyflea

jettyflea Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Definitely feel fortunate but need to start planning a better retirement. Sounds like retirement from your job eventually will be great without any worries financially.

No job is perfect and my job was stressful along the way and even with the existing company. They moved many jobs offshore and I always had the stress of upcoming layoffs even until today. You just can't worry about what may or may not happen though. I had to adapt and move into more of a business analyst/technical analyst role since my prior programming role was obsolete thanks to the trend of moving jobs offshore. You have to make sure that you work directly with clients these days to transfer business requirements into technical solutions. That is something that the offshore people lack (good communication skills) and clients in my industry don't want to deal with the offshore people directly.

There are a lot of these type of roles in the market today and many jobs are moving toward telecommuting. It saves the company a lot of expenses around large office spaces and other infrastructure. The downside is you will miss the social life of talking with people in the office and going out after work. You will have occasional travel and meetings though. Every job has pros and cons. The original poster has to just find what works best for his situation.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017