Dropping In

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by notaseal, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  2. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    that's what the kuel kids refer to as "snaking".

and its not kuel

3. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Everyone was a kook at some point, not kool!

4. waldo-7

waldo-7 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    i might have been guilty on sat.. but if there is side shore current, and te guys on long borts didn't stay in position I can't be completly at fault.

5. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Kinda hard to sort that out from the given pic.

I think all four of em are out on the shoulder. Way out there.

Peak's to the left of the pic. Barrellin like a sumb!tch.

Shred is bustin a bodacious aire while he's grabbin his package and stickin out his tongue at them posers.

He'll fly right over ALL of em, dig back into the shoulder, crank a fat Carolina Cutback, and run over all four of em from the right side of the pic.

All captured on film by his trusty Hindu accomplice who is also a member of the medical profession.

Could be...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  6. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    If your sitting deeper, even if you drop in later than the kook down the line its still your wave, unless he's up going left and you decide to go right.

7. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    ^^^^ Today i was on the peak. My wave. The right was non existent. I'm paddling to go left. Kook next to me is paddling too..... except he's trying to go right. I had to bank off to avoid a possible collision. He drops in and wasted the wave as there was no right just close out. What a kook

8. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
  9. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I grab the log when the crowd gets unruly, throw on my viking helmet, and claim every big set wave.

10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ....only if you've been blatantly burned by the same dude earlier in the day.

11. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I don't have a problem with people dropping in as long as they bring something! Beer, wine, weed!

12. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    That's actually the part I left out of my reply. First time I give benefit of the doubt. Second time its on.

This weekend I was sitting in the lineup and a guy/kid paddles up peak of me and sits 10 feet away. I saw a set coming and knew he was going for it so I started paddling towards him and out to get into position for the next wave. He sees me paddling, goes prone and starts racing me. I'm two arms length away from the guy and I turn to him and say "hey, I'm not paddle battling you I'm trying to move up the beach to get out of your way" He immediately stops and says "it's all good". It wasn't all good a second earlier and if I hadn't communicated with him this could have gone on the whole session. Probably didnt hurt that I had my teeth out and looked kinda rough, lol.

13. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Now that is a great idea!!!
    If only we could install rotating blades as Mesala did on his chariot in the movie Ben Hur--that would make my day!!

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Yesterday I had a spot all to myself for about 3 hours. Toward the end of my session, this guy shows up with a canoe shaped SUP and he sees me catching waves from about 150 - 200 yards away.

I purposely walk waaaaay down the beach, away from the parking lot and out of plain sight from the steps to avoid the crowd, plus it's the best high tide sand bar around lol

Anyways, after he spots me I see him from the corner of my eye as I was waiting for the next wave, he's paddling straight towards me, passing several other peaks in the process.

I'm literally staring out to the horizon, I don't make one movement to even acknowledge I see him and he comes up yelling from about 50 feet away, "That one might break!" Completely ruined the peaceful silence that I was enjoying that morning. I found it kind of rude and annoying so I just kept staring onto the horizon and then spun and went for the wave.

Afterwards I paddle back and get back in the same spot. He catches the next one, kinda, more like getting pushed by reformed white water but w/e. He eats sh*t and then paddles up next to me about 10 feet away and says, "high tide is killing it".

I still have not yet acknowledged him at this point. Being that I was actually catching wave after wave during high tide, I found his statement retarded an ill informed. I thought for sure he saw me getting ride after ride but apparently high tide was "killing it" for him.

Rather than entertain the dufus, I just kept staring to the horizon until he paddled back to where he came from and never returned. I commenced wave riding. He kept falling. I left shortly after, as I'm about to leave I see him eat sh*t in knee deep water, I laughed as I climbed the steps and walked off.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  15. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    This ^^^ Everyone gets a chance. If you are blowing waves I will drop in.

16. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    The photo does leave too much out. Lots of times, who gets to their feet first overrides closest to peak/deepest, which sometimes necessitates a "Going Right!" yell if you're behind the peak, deeper than the guy on the peak, who by the way, is on his feet a split second before the guy deepest, it looks like, in the photo. And if either guy is blowing takeoffs by eating it on the drops, or backing off repeatedly, screwing up your timing, just ignore them, they are flotsam or jetsam (depending on if they eventually wash upon the beach or not).

What if the guy deepest was on a sponge, do you drop in? Do ya? I have. One time at the Jupiter Inlet, a booger guy caught up with me, went past me, stalled, and I ran him over like a speed bump and ate it, he kept going, made the wave all the way to the beach. Nothing was said by him to me, or me to him, but when he had the peak later that session, I didn't drop in on him againne. LOL

17. ibc

ibc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Call in the Valkyries!

18. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    the problem is a lot of newbs and regular people lol don't even bother looking left or right to see whos in position they just go for it.its just like crossing the street,what did ur daddy tell you?

Saturday was the first day I surfed in a crowd in a while.normally its always empty where I go,but I went to a few different spots.crowd still wasn't bad,maybe 7 people idk.i sit out a bit further to try and get the set waves and there were a few solid ones coming in on sat.everyone was cool tho no problems

19. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Sounds like you had an encounter with wayne the insaaaaane! :cool:

20. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008

Plus, you're a big dude so that always helps ... as well, The Angry Paddle Face when going for a wave has worked for me in the past....