Tacos El Pastor

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Zeroevol, Jul 24, 2017.

1. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Dude is that the place by Bird Rock? I don't remember the name...

2. zagaff3r

zagaff3r Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Oside or no side

3. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Ahso. Cool. There's a great place on LJ Blvd by Bird Rock that's got $1 fish tacos that are da kine grind too.

With beer.

I didn't know what "al pastor" was until I left SoCal, I always knew it as "adobado". What say you, Gaff?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  4. zagaff3r

zagaff3r Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Adobado I thought was just stewed. Al pastor has always meant Mexican schwarma to me chicken, beef, pork, octopus.

5. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Lol, "stewed" to me is "guisado". The same word the cartels use when they cut up guys and put them in vats of acid to disappear them.

6. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I just used pork. Those $1.00 tacos look legit

7. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Those look so good. It's nearly impossible to find good mexican food on the right coast. Mostly it's the mexican equivalent of takeout chinese. Almost every restaurant has the same menu/ingredients/taste.

This really cool Oaxacan place just opened down the street from me. I know it's good because no one there speaks much english. They sell homemade mezcal in waterbottles. Tastes like smoke.

8. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    [​IMG]

9. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Zero,
    How dare you out-BBQ me?!
    That looks legit. Al pastor is the king of tacos.
    Sal

10. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Well Z you inspired me. Last night I made tacos with some left over smoked pork. Homemade gauc and slaw with Cilantro and lime. I used Tapatio (sp?). I used the corn tortillas. It was smoking!!!

11. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Nice man! I used to love Tapatio, but mainly on eggs or breakfast. there is a place near me that has a smoked beef brisket taco with slaw, that thing is redonkulous.

12. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Tapatio is the shizzle. Do you guys get Cholula over there? Pretty similar to Tapatio, goes good with pretty much everything.

13. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    since it was shark week, went to a place serving up mako margarita tacos. fried shark. damm delicious. had some fixins in there, can't recall what it was tho. a bit hungover today

14. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Yes sir! I went from Tapitio to Cholula, now I am the El Yucateco (green). I've been on the this one for a long time, it's some good sheet!

15. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    The Yucateco XXXtra Hot "Mayan Recipe" is where it's at. My favorite hot sauce. I'm completely obsessed and at times go through close to a bottle a week. Had some trouble finding it when I lived in CO, finally got the Mexican grocery store in town to order me a case of it. The person who ordered, and who called me to tell me the order was in, spoke a bit of English... but when I went to get it the next day she wasn't there, no one spoke a word of English (I speak zero Spanish beyond the names of taco fillings), and it was one hell of an ordeal to communicate that I was there to pick up the case of hot sauce they had behind the counter for me.

16. NJsurfer30

NJsurfer30 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2016
    See my previous comment. It's far from the hottest hotsauce on the market, there is plenty of stuff that is just stupidly hot and serves minimal purpose other than pain, but it's the hottest I've found that still has a phenomenal and well-rounded flavor. I can go hotter, but I enjoy it less, because at that point I find I'm trading flavor for heat (though the point at which that becomes a tradeoff is different for everyone). It's a hell of a lot hotter than TB diablo, that stuff just tastes like vinegar to me.

17. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    There is some truly amazingly hot sauce out there. This is some of the absolute hottest, but as others have said, for most people it will just be too much heat, and at some point you really arent getting much flavor out of it because sauces in this upper heat range are make from pepper extract.

[​IMG]

I generally make my own, because i like habanero peppers and they are very easy to grow and make into sauce with some white vinegar, mango and spices. Stuff like this (below) isnt nearly as hot as stuff like Dave's Insanity but has a very nice islands flavor.

[​IMG]

18. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    I grow Carolina Reaper peppers and Thai peppers. I eat the Thai peppers all day long, the Carolina I give away to a buddy who makes hot sauce. This year seems a little slow, I am still waiting for my reapers to pop, but I do have some Thai's rolling out.

19. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    same here....i am picking thai peppers. I dont make sauce out of them, just dice them up.

If you haven't tried growing Habs you should. They are prolific producers. One little two foot high plant can easily pump out 50 peps in the course of a season, and they seem to be almost immune to garden issues.

20. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    which ones are the green peppers?i remember a guy at work brought some in from his garden and told me to try a little piece,i broke it up and put it on my sandwhich and that motherfuka started burning lol.definitly the spiciest iv had.

iv had the cluck u chicken 911 wings which are supposed to be the hottest,ate them multiple times they weren't bad.only bad part is if u have a bit on ur fingers and touch ur eye its like being maced