where should i go this winter

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by trevolution, Jul 21, 2017.

1. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Good stuff Nica and sjkc.

2. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Well, I've never been to CR because Mexico was my backyard, as Ticolandia and Boricua are so close to the EC in comparison.

Just a personal view, I'm the type of surfer that would rather surf the Malpais area over Pavones because I try to avoid crowds. If I rocked up to Tamarindo (which is extremely likely next summer), I would rent a 4WD and explore. But traveling with the spouse limits me to staying in nice hotels, as opposed to sleeping in my camper or tent.

I'm sure the waves and crowds in CR are similar in crowds and quality to Mex, but if you wanna try Mex just for the experience, why not?

I personally recommend staying in San Diego and hooking up with somebody with knowledge, bring your passport and drive into North Baja. The amount of quality uncrowded breaks from Tijuana to Ensenada, you are practically guaranteed surf. Or stay in Rosarito or Ensenada, the hotels are decent and the food and nightlife are what you'd expect.

If you choose Mainland, I'd probably start my search below Jalisco where more southerly swells make it to the coast. You can score in Mazatlan and Vallarta, but it's usually smaller and weaker except for a few spots.

Never surfed Conejo, but isn't that the place that got blown up by Rip Curl and The Search? I've heard that place is super crowded and aggro now?

One more thing: most Mexican surf camps don't fvck around . They don't like interlopers and unauthorized boats rocking up, and I've heard they threaten people that don't pay or are uninvited. Not great if you drive up hoping to score, but great if you shelled out some $$$ for some tubes in solitude.

3. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    So, you are clueless and go by other peoples' data focusing on .0001% of what actually happens, you're an idiot. got it.

If you (anyone) surf and you DON'T visit Hawaii, you're an apostate.

not saying you have to like it, just saying you have to go to see if you like it

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  4. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    "500 pros, meathead tough guys, egos everywhere, pecking orders and did I mention meatheads."

This is 100% fact and everything I don't want in a surf trip.

5. NICAfiend

May 12, 2012
    Also, when you use big words like apostate please know what they mean. I think we figured out who's the idiot.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

His use of apostate is perfectly appropriate in the context within which he uses it.

7. NICAfiend

May 12, 2012
    So I've abandoned my government or religion because I don't want to go to Hawaii. If you say. How about stop looking at a thesaurus, it's vacuous. Or I could of just said silly.

8. NotAMasshole

NotAMasshole Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Great thread. Almost went 7 pages before someone had to act like they were better than someone else.

Sounds like you have a nice winter ahead of you Tre. Be sure to let us know of the results.

I appreciate all of the Mex info and especially the northern Baja stuff. As an EC'r I dont have too many SoCal friends to show me around. Been wanting to get down there for a few winters. More info is appreciated if you got it! This summer has been FLAT here as expected. Hopefully we see a lively hurricane season as expected (no damage of course, just waves)

9. NICAfiend

May 12, 2012
    Same region, different wave. From what I can tell that place looks pretty low key and hard to get to. No hostels, hotels or rentals in the "area" besides this place. You probably wouldn't be able to venture off much but that would keep your cost down in not having to rent a vehicle.

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

It is not just religion or government--it is "principle" as well.

11. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    haha i like that one. would def narrow the choices down, but not a bad motif(?) to go by

12. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    I recently had an apostate exam, I hate when they stick their finger up my butt.

13. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Must have been a priestly experience, Keed :rolleyes:

14. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Shoot me a PM one of these days and I can give you the deets.

One caveat: a lot has changed since I lived there, but most of the waves remain the same. My best friend still lives and surfs there, and has told me that Baja Malibu (a board breaking beach break) hasn't been breaking like it used to. I don't know, I just take his word for it. Popotla used to be a sick left reef but a bunch of stuff for built there for the "Titanic" movie, and people tell me that smugglers are launching pangas out of there.

But there's so many other waves that it really doesn't matter.

15. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Yeah, I was prepubescent and living in Floriduh at the time. The priest said he also was a doctor and he drove a white van without any windows.

But heck, the exam was free.

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Ask them for a second opinion--they will then use TWO fingers......

17. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Good info Kid thanks.

Nica, the place you posted says you can have it all to yourself with your own group of 10. That would be pretty cool.

18. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    you had to look it up lol!!

LOL

guess you dont know how to move one reef over, what region DOESNT have aggro locals?
    and surfing is more than a religion, to not want to come to the birthplace of it shows a lack of 'something' on your part, like surfing is a hobby for you as opposed to an all consuming love affair with warm wet holes, I mean tubes
    I know what apostate means ya fkn goober; apparently you dont know what surfing is

and masshole, I aint better than anyone
    I do think my surfing judgement is better than most, especially those that have never been, yet still talk ish on the best surf zone on the planet

find a better one, srsly, I will wait: Ericiera? yea, in a 4 mil. Bali? maybe if you want to go 3rd world.

be sure to include 4-6 dozen spots, at least 5 absolute world class spots, with dozens more becoming so on their day....this stretch will take every swell angle imaginable and some wave somewhere turns on. I could go on and on.

there are niche zones for sure, but as far as every kind of wave within a 15 minutes drive (no traffic) is bananas.

19. NICAfiend

May 12, 2012
    Why would I want to travel somewhere and not surf the best waves? I went to S Africa last year and guess what? I didn't meet one agro local the entire time and scored at multiple world class waves. Well that wasn't too hard to come up with one. I'll take that over the meth capital of the world any day. Your rant has done nothing but reaffirm my thoughts on the place.

20. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    I thought I lived in the meth capital of the world. I guess the heroin took over as #1