Need help choosing a new surfboard

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by MASurf, Aug 2, 2017.

1. MASurf

MASurf Active Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I need some advice on what sort of board I should get. I'm an intermediate east coast surfer and am looking for a board for hurricane season and the winter, we get stomach high to overhead waves during these months.

I already own a lost lib tech puddle jumper which i bought used off a local surfer. It is 5 feet 5 inches long 20.5 wide, 2.38 thick and 30.5 liters. I bought this board for summer waves, and mushy surf, although i have ridden it in clean head high waves.

The problem that i have is that my performance board i think is too high performance for me. It's 5'8, 18 5/8 wide and the volume is just under 25 liters. I have had a lot of fun on this board but i don't think its the best fit for my skill level. At times i surf it really well but other time i notice my surfing to be a little shaky and chattery. That is why I'm looking for something between the two boards i have.

Here are a couple models i been considering.. what do you think about them?

lost V3 stealth 5’9” 19.38” 2.38” 28.75 cl

Lost voodoo child 5’8” 19.25 2.35 27.25L or 5’9” 19.50 2.38 29.00L

Lost sub driver 5’10” 19.25 2.35 28.50L

Channel islands new flyer 5’9 19 3/8 2 3/8 27.9L

Fred stubble 5’9 19 1/8 2 7/16 28.5L

Or are there any other boards that you think would suit me? Thanks!

2. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    CI Flyer is the money - go squash tail for good surf and learn how to swimme in case the leash is not properly tied.

3. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    5'8.75"x19.125"x2.35" mud puddle jumper flyer model will be perfect for what you are looking for

4. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Jinx

5. Pure Surfing

Pure Surfing Active Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Out of all for the most performance and all around conditions, I dig the V3 Stealth for feel, response, speed. Never been a CI fan, but a buddy surfs them all year, into DOH conditions and loves them. I really like the way the entire JS and Pyzels board range surf too. There's a lot in those sizes/shapes you mentioned. I've recently been surfing Supers and like the shapes and the way they surf, not so stoked on the glassing. Vapors, Spam, or Unit you can really rip in that range.

Height, weight? I like the mudpuddleflyershipjumper hahaha^^^

6. MASurf

MASurf Active Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Thanks for the responses everyone. If only the mud puddle jumper flyer model was a real thing, haha. To answer your question I am 5 foot 9 and around 150 pounds.

7. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Just beef up your HP board a bit. Go a little wider. Maybe 19.5 wide. Go to a local guy who can replicate it. My "performance" SB is what people on the west coast would probably call a grovler. 5'8 x 19.5 x 2.5. A little fuller in the nose and pulled in tail. 28L. On the EC a little extra volume is a good thing.

8. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Buy them all. wayne will be in touch.

9. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I second the custome idea. Go talk to a reputable local shaper. You'll learn a lot.

11. NotAMasshole

NotAMasshole Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    The custom is the way to go. For the same price or less you can get a board made exactly for you and it will have all the characteristics that you are looking for. If this is to be your winter board you can get it glassed a little heavier and add a little weight in the nose to help fight the wind and get you in early.

Im gonna guess from your name that you are in MA. Check out Vec Surfboards out of the Cape or Roger Beal on the south shore.

12. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    If you go custom, which you absolutely should, don't forget the double concave with vee out the tail. I find it really suites my boards well since i like my performance boards to be a beefed up version of a west coast performance board.

13. MASurf

MASurf Active Member

Aug 2, 2017
    My first real surfboard was a hand me down fish from levy surf design, he's is a shaper in Rhode Island. Would he be a good option? Also it's probably nice to support the local shapers, but I'm guessing the board making isn't as precise as the computer machined blanks that the larger companies use. Also is a quality custom nessasarily cheaper?
    Also thanks for all the responses.

14. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Totally wrong, depending on the shaper. My shaper has a CNC machine. Can literally REPLICATE any board.

As an after thought, maybe your not totally wrong. Don't know CNC machines are common in shaping bays nowa days. Regardless. Go with a local shaper any way because yes a quality custom is cheaper. Without any bro deals i get a custom for 500 with color, rails, bottom contours, little nit picky things that i know i like I a board.

15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Not true. Shaping machines are only as precise as... the design, the file, the cutter, the finisher. Before machines, all boards were handshapes, shaped precisely by talented craftsmen... or they were fired.

I always say, "symmetrical is symmetrical." In other words, a board is either perfect or not, and you can get there either way... by hand or by machine.

Blanks today have a variety of rockers that only need minor tweaks. Rails are measured and marked before being cut and blended. Bottom contours are mapped out and cut with planers to less than 1mm of tolerance... a hotcoat is thicker than that.

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Why does someone "need help" in choosing a board??
    If the OP needs to decide between boards of 19.25, 19.30, or 19.40.........the OP is mentally deranged. It won't make a rats ass of difference in any wave, any ocean, lake, puddle or bath tub, given that the OP knows how to surf.
    You are wasting your spit.....

17. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    This statement tells me that the OP has not been surfing very long.

18. MASurf

MASurf Active Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Why would anyone need help in choosing a board? Or anything for that matter: Sometimes it is helpful to gain someone else's input. You seem to have long forgotten that you can learn a lot by asking and listening to others. Many people here were happy to give some advice. If you don't think I should need advice you could have simply not left a reply. Based on the responses I have received, many people have given information to me that they thought should be important. If anything you have wasted your time writing a comment of practically no substance.
    Just so you know I'm 17 years old and have only rode 3 real boards, only one of which was purchased new. So I don't have all that much experience choosing boards unlike many of the members of this website.
    I see you are from NH, every once and a while I surf there, I hope you are more respectful on the water than you are online. Thanks to everyone else for the responses.

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You are asking about "non-existing" differences.
    If you have not been surfing long, you will never tell the difference in width changes with those minor, minor, minor, minor, differences.
    Nobody can--that is my point. Not even "pros", no matter what they tell you.
    Also 19" is wayyy too narrow for mushy East Coast waves, no matter how young you are.
    Stop trying to impress your friends. Make you own decision--you will better off.

20. MASurf

MASurf Active Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I was more so asking about the different models which is more then just different dimensions, but you are probably right that there isn't much of a difference anyways. As long as I get something with the right volume it should probably work well for my needs. Also my board I have now is for small and mushy days and is 20.5 wide, the new board I'm looking at is for bigger days. Thanks for the response, you are right about ignoring very minute differences, they will probably be unnoticeable and are more of a marketing tactic, that's good because it will make buying a board much easier.