who here has been surfing this week?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Peajay4060, Jan 14, 2015.

1. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    just pulled the trigger, southbound for CR until next week.

FUcast looks decent, not too heavy. And then hoping to return to storm swell as 'our season' starts to churn good things.

2. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I too have a reason to travel next week, but only to jax, nfla...is it worth it, surf and weather-wise? Who goes to florida in the middle of august? Isn't there a seinfeld about that?

3. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That's heavy. But it would have to have been bigger than 6'... a six foot white wouldn't be eating seals yet

4. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Suite. Give us the deets upon return. Which part? I'm gonna bust my CR cherry next August.

5. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I'll have to try that down there. I have a spot in Bay Head, as far as Ocean County goes. I've surfed there for quite a while in years, but I don't frequent it too, too much. They put a Cam there (thanks surfersview!) fairly recently, so it's convenient to check it out before deciding if I wanna take the 12 minute drive there.

I was hoping to surf later today, but it looks like I'll be spending the day in Cape May, if not overnight. The drive down there and back isn't very fun and seems to take almost 4 hours round trip. Probably because it is almost 4 hours round trip! Haha.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Just got back from a really fun session. I went North instead of South today due to the ESE swell angle hitting better up there. It was waist high for about an hour and then the tide dropped out and it started firing chest high sets, and consistently too. I caught tons of waves despite the crowd. It was basically me and a couple other dudes dodging floaters. The LB was the right call but I brought the Fish just in case. I could of ridden it too but was having fun so I stuck with the LB. Time for IPA's!

7. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    What a fun morning with the crew and a bunch of wonderful locals. The ocean chilled down to a refreshing 78 making it so pleasureable to paddle out in the clean knee to thigh high waves.

We all were enjoying the fat rolling waves and the cameraderie. I got 6 fun thigh high lefts today. But mostly it was great to be alive and in the ocean. Sure do miss those 2 hour seshes and lingering hours just soaking up ocean and friendships. But, am pleased can still paddle out :)

8. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Delmarva was in the waist high range today. cool offshore breeze made it feel like fall to me trunking it.

[​IMG]

9. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    It happened here again today for a few hours around low tide. Small, 2+' with plus peaks, pretty long rights, and flawless pumping bowly peaks. So small but real surfing. Whatever that is. Totally stoked, dude. Pure stoke.

10. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    nice

11. be.ach.soon

be.ach.soon Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Yeah, I was cold after an hour. Had to sit in the sun and dry off to warm up. Bought a 1mm jacket when I got home.

Took this video before I left. Surf was decent.

[video]https://youtu.be/hteLwfTC1tc[/video]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  12. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    As Mitchell said Delmarva had rideable surf but that's not the point of this post. It's been a while but I witnessed pure inspiration yesterday. Saw large group of folks led by a paralyzed surfer in a ruggedized wheelchair. As a side note - the wheelchair was bad ass. Had no problem on the beach. Had "tank" style tracks on it. Anyway, this huge support crew helped the guy ride (prone) several waves. From the beach the stoke was palatable. I swam out to witness from a closer perspective and witnessed 100% pure stoke and joy. ****ing inspirational. Just prior to seeing all this I was *****ing to my kid that we need some real surf. I need to complain less and just be happy I have a great family and get to surf with regular frequency. Whoever you are - you are da man(and your friends and family are awesome too)

13. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    That sounds really cool smitty. Thx for sharing.

14. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Much respect to that guy. And tank style tracks sound badass.

I got one of those feel good moments yesterday. On my drive south to myrtle beach with gf and fam, we stopped at a Starbucks. It was about 7am and while in line I saw a homeless man in front of me shaking, he looked hungry, with a few crunched up singles in his hand. He was very pleasant though and greeted me with a good morning and smile. I told him not to worry about paying today and covered his coffee/meal. He was extremely greatful and it showed. He thanked me several times. While it wasn't something major, it was that feel good feeling that you get when you do something positive. Anyways, how does this relate to surfing? Well yesterday while in myrtle, yeah the surf sucks here but I was bodyboarding, I pulled into a long right hand 2' drainer and came out unscathed, not a touch of water out of place. Felt just like a choob back home in joizy. Karma worked in my favor.

That positive juice comes back around, if you let it.

15. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I agree. Its amazing what these guys are doing. The surfer's name is Jay (he is actually from Milton Delaware, the town I live near), and he and the group of family and friends call themselves Team Surfgimp. I've been fortunate enough to be a part of it a few times. Inspirational to say the least.

16. Rob Gnarley

Rob Gnarley Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I hope you all scored some waves waves this weekend. The surf was surprisingly fun for how small it was.

It was my buddies bachelor party in AC this weekend. I left @ 6am Saturday, surfed most of the day, partied until 3am, and went out surfing again at 7am.

Time for a nap.

17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    "DO SOMETHING!"

Lol!

18. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Surfed MA north shore and it was chilly out there, way colder than LI last week. Wore my spring suite but could have easily gone with my full suite. That being said, there was a guy with his hood up out there. Can you get surfer's ear in 66˚ water? If not, that was mystifying. I hate wearing a hood and when it's 2'+ there's not much duck diving.

Waves were fun.

19. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Smitty-- the beach wheelchair I have been using is not motorized and difficult even for men to push despite balloon tires. Do you know what kind of chair that guy used? And, he brings it, or is it provided by the park for rent? That could be a game changer for me for sure. As it is, I need all kinds of help pushing the chair.

20. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    What a fun weekend! As fun as yesterday was, today was even more fun. I rode the Flashback Fish since it was clean long lines and waist - chest, not like yesterday though, it had more ground swell in it today. Lots and lots of waves, some that were memorable. If it were any bigger I would have ridden the M-80, which has been neglected as of late. But not for long, more swell on the horizon, I can feel it.