where should i go this winter

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by trevolution, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Haven't read all the posts on here but Indo would be up there, also always wanted to do a Euro tour with Spain, France, and Portugal in the mix. 10 grand for 6 months is decent though, I'm sure you'll pull off something sick.

2. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    @Nica-
    I just want to be clear. I'm in no way offended by anything you've posted, and I hope my posts haven't offended you. If so, I apologize because that wasn't my intent.

It sounds like you're making statements about Hawaii but you've never actually been there. I'm simply telling you that my experiences there in many ways contradict your opinions. To put it another way using your movie analogy, I've actually seen the movie and am telling you it is good, while you're telling me it's a bad movie because you saw a commercial.

I genuinely don't care if you ever go to Hawaii. However, lots of people are reading this thread and might be looking to it to inform their own decisions about where to go this winter. For them, I'm telling you, and them, that the North Shore isn't as aggro or this terrible vibe you're describing. I'll caveat that by saying if you're planning on surfing the big 3, Pipe/Backdoor, Sunset, Haleiwa between October and December, you might have a different experience. But the whole Ehukai section goes off, and there can be 100 guys sitting at Pipe with 10 guys at Gas Chambers, which is an excellent wave by anyone's standards. And on the north side of Waimea you may be able to score a solo session mid-day, mid-week as early as January or February.

I'm just throwing that out there. I understand exactly what you wrote, and I've given you my best first-hand experience in return to maybe influence you to reconsider your perceptions. However, I'm not offended one way or the other.

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Toonces.....if you had to pick one 14 day stretch to travel to Hawaii, when would that be? Saurus, you input would be welcomed as well. And yes, for surfing, not for hula parties.....

4. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    You should probably stick with Waikiki during summertime, Abuelito.

5. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
  6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Thanks.

7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

If you surfed with me.....you would change your mind about that, even though I am aging.

8. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    I caveat that by saying I'd want a rental car, though. If you're staying on the North Shore and only surfing the North Shore, you better be ready to paddle or tow into the outer reefs or Waimea.

Once the NS goes over 18-20' I'm on my way to the west side. Or maybe the windward side, if you know where to look. I surfed a spot once near Sandy Beach that I always thought looked rideable, but with the rocks and lava and such I was always too scared. One day driving by I saw someone surfing this particular spot and so next swell I drove out there and caught some waves with like 3 other locals. Very, very shallow, and not a place you'd want to show up to with more than one friend.

I reckon there are a lot of little nooks like that, but you need time to look.

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Lol...there is a break outside Waikiki called pops. It is actually a very fun wave on the LB. south shore can be a great time too. Though it can be frustratingly crowded at peak times and is a totally different lineup dynamic compared to NS
    I like the dates Toonces threw out. Barry don't discount the Luau, I bet your wife would enjoy it.

10. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Just poking the bear a little bit lol. I'm sure you're capable of paddling out almost anywhere.

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Make that old bear.......

12. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    I reckon this thread has been beat to death, but I was going through some old pictures and found this. North Shore surf forecast off Surfline from 2014 or so. I can't remember now why I screen captured it, but...wow.

[​IMG]

However, I gave this some thought a while back, and I guess I've come around somewhat. I don't know that I'd pick Oahu as my first choice as a surf vacation. If you want to get seriously good surf, then sure. But when I think of vacation, I think easy access, warm water, low crowds, nice waves and cold beer. I don't know that 15-20'+ heavy duty surf every day and the attendant North Shore crowds = "vacation" surf. So.

13. HaydukeLives!

HaydukeLives! Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Lets sail from my house in bellingham around Vancouver Island, up the coast of canada and AK and end in Russia.

Disclaimer, I dont know how to sail, nor do I have any money. But it would be cool to session with you again mang

Keep living the dream trevor

14. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    I've posted a bunch about NS on SI as I've been very fortunate to go there more than most (family hook up). I rarely surf any of the big name NS surf spots except Lanis (love that spot). I don't have any trouble. Not sure where you are from but NS or SS **** spots are 500 times better than an average day here in MD. If you go send me a PM and I will hook you up. By the way, spots I typically surf can be localized but I play by the rules thus have had zero trouble. If NS gets huge then you skip on over to town. Won't be big but will be much less crowded cuz all the "pros" will be busy dodging death bombs on NS. I've surfed what Hawaiians call flat at Ala Mo and had a friggin blast.

15. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    You gotta go to Hawaii. As someone said earlier, one winter in Hawaii is equal to two years anywhere else. A winter in Hawaii will provide a lifetime of good memories. Mark my words.

16. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
  17. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Thats funny that you mention Belize. i was just talking to a friend who has been there twice this year. Once in January, and again last week. Its mostly about fishing, but he (actually his fishing boat captain who also surfs) got him out to some amazing surf in the reef passes off Belize. Completely empty 3-5 foot perfection.

18. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I've never been, but I want to go! Fish, surf, eat, sleep, repeat.

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I already have 2 trips booked, one not-for-surf, and another FOR surf. Then in January, I need to search for a trip for mo larger surf, dependent on forecasts. Never been to Hawaii, but it is such a long f****** trip......I hate being inside planes.

20. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    My bud hit the fly rod grand slam last week. Permit, Tarpon, and Bonefish. No snook.