Did Junior hurt NAAPCAR?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by sisurfdogg, Aug 10, 2017.

1. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Harvick is talking smack about Junior, he was stock car's biggest hero but never won a title. And NAP CAR fans and ratings are down. Was Harvick's comments hurtful? Do you give a tiny little rats arse?

What if Rob The Mob Machado was voted Surfer of The Year for 10 years while Kelly won all the titles? Would that have ruined competitive surfing? Why is surfing different than any other sport?

Is this the dumbest treadde yet?

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...t-jr-says-kevin-harvick-comments-were-hurtful

2. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    I always loved the irony that the guy who inherited his career from daddy is the big hero and Jeff Gordon was the villain for the crime of being from (I think?) a middle class background and CA to boot.

To answer your question, I couldn't care less.

3. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I was always a bobby labonte fan. Screw the rest

4. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Most of my redneck buds and dudettes don't like Junior, they were all big Dale Sr. "The Intimidator" #3 fans. Half of them have a #3 sticker on the back of their pick up trucks, or on their jet skiis - truth. His (Dale Sr.) old charter captain is an acquaintance, everyone down here worshiped him like a God, even more than Burt Reynolds, if that is humanly possible. ("Cannonball Run" and "Smokey and the Bandit" RULE!!! And don't forget "The Longest Yard" - the Original). Dale Junior had too big of shoes to fill, all his fan support was sentimental, but the kid is a class act.

What if Kelly had a demon child, and he surfed kinda good but he got beat by half the tour all the time. I'd still root for him. Go Junior!!!!!

5. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I loved Nascar back in the 70's/80's when I was a kid. I wasn't a HUGE fan, but I watched it on Sunday's. Was a big Dale Sr. fan. This was back in the ****!n late 70's/early 80's LOL.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Very much the dumbest thread ever.

But to go along with imbecility, one time, about 15 years ago, I was watching a car repair/hot rod type show on TV. Filmed in a garage, hosts showing audience "how to" fix this, install that, pimp this...etc....filmed in either Kentucky or Tennessee, or similar landlocked state.
    And guess what the background decor was.....surfboards, standing up, side by side. A long row of them....In Kentucky or Tennessee??
    I knew surfing was screwed there and then.
    F*** NASCAR. Morons.

7. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Ricky Bobby is the GOAT!

8. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Pretty funny you just posted this, I was just contacted regarding working the fall race. I love working the races, but I am def not a NASCAR fan.

9. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    If anything, Jimmie Johnson ruined NASCAR. Dude has zero personality and probably wouldn't have won half the trophies under the old system. Used to be a huge fan but they got too caught up in creating marketable champions and lost a ton of following.

10. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Agreed. Formula One Fan here. This is the stupidest thread ever

11. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
  12. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Restrictor plates ruined it. Just two long lines of cars side by side. And JJ is boring, absolutely. That's why my buddies call it NAPCAR. You can't watch an entire race on TV without taking a nap. Impossible.

13. backside hack

backside hack Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Martin Truex - Jersey Boy yo. Put his time in up here at Wall Stadium. Fun place to bug out once a summer (once is all you need, unless you're a gearhead). It's free to watch practice on Saturday early afternoons.

Only watch the "exciting" restrictor plate races and maybe Bristol; if I happen to catch it on TV which i basically never watch except for one hour at night.

14. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Richard "the king" Petty was my hero growing up, then I was a Bobby Hamilton fan b/c he drove the STP car. I have always been a gearhead and I love almost all forms of motorsport. As NASCAR goes, these days I only really watch the short tracks. More into F1 and endurance racing because of the cutting edge technology.

OP - I root for Jr. because he's the hometown boy, never done anything too sketchy, and I love Mountain Dew. I don't think Jr. hurt NASCAR, but I don't follow that closely anymore so who knows. Back in the day I knew all the drivers, crew chiefs and everything. Now I'd be lucky to know half the drivers.

15. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Vettel would definitely drop in on you and bring his tow-in rig to 8' NJ waves.

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I am going to imitate "CarolinaCutback" :

"I don't like the content or the topic in this thread. Therefore, I request the moderators ban those posting in it."

17. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I'm going to imitate "Barry Cuda"

"You're a moron" :p

18. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Vettel is the Medina of F1

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Very good--you get a cookie!!!

20. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Used to care aboot NASCAR back in the '80s. Dale Sr, Bill Elliot, DW, guys like that. Or Tim Richmond, remember him? Went to one race, the July Firecracker race around '89 or '90 with 8 or 10 other fellers. Drove up the night before drinking so much beer (Bud Light) it was ridiculous. Awoke the next morning with a hangover the size of Daytona and schlepped over to the track. Back then you were allowed to bring in your own coolers of whatever and we did. Lots of them. Continued pounding beers in the hot July sun. Don't recall who won the race but I remember all the people who went and stood by the fence (they don't let you do that anymore either) in turn four would lose their trucker hats when the pack came around. I felt so ****ty by the time I got home that I quit drinking for some time after that.

Any form of motorsports will become boring when the money involved escalates. Big money causes a higher threshold for entry and the rules become stricter. The result is the machinery becomes uniform and boring and eventually so do the drivers. Remember when Bill Elliot and his brother constructed their own car in a barn in Dawsonville? How aboot Smokey Yunick with his 7/8 scale Chevelle and fuel lines the size of sewer pipes for extra capacity? That can't happen anymore because you better be a multi-millionaire and have your own sponsor following just to be considered for a driver's seat.

This is not just a NASCAR thing. It's the natural evolution of all motorsports when they become commercially exploitable. Look at the money in F1 and Indy Car. Personally never cared much for open wheel racing. NHRA drag racing used to be fun for me but it has gone the same big dollar route and is now boring and cookie-cutter with just a few teams dominating. There is still some originality and low dollar teams like Chris Karamesines (85 years old!) but it's mostly gone. One of the last pure forms of motor vehicle competition is land speed (salt flats) racing. There is still tons of innovation and interesting cars. The people that participate do it for the love of competition not for the money because there is no money to be made there.

You can probably still find some fun racing at smaller local tracks that limit the money influx with things like claimer rules. I used to go to Hialeah Speedway for some 1/3 mile action on Saturday nights. The slower classes were always the most fun to watch and the most competitive. Place shut down a dozen or so years ago and is now a shopping mall. Sad.