Hurricane Irma forms in Atlantic

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Betty, Aug 30, 2017.

1. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    My sister and brother-in-law have two homes down there. Right now, they're overwhelmed with preparation. Their plan is to ride it out unless there's a mandatory evacuation ordered. Both homes are "hurricane proofed" with reinforced roofs, solid concrete and up on concrete pillars.

This could be really bad for them... and for everyone even close to the eye wall. No island has more than 20' elevation.

2. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Especially next Sunday.

3. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
  4. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    u Floridians better get some lube cause Irma's coming in deep!!!

yea this is definitely a scary one I was just chatting with my cousin who lives in florida.she lives in cocoa on the opposite side of rt1.she sent me her address just so I can try to give her some tips and I'm like dude u have to evacuate.all those little rivers and creeks are going to cause most of the flooding.

the thing with hurricanes,from my past experience,is the ocean isn't the one doing the damage.its the bays and rivers and inlets.the ocean will take out the boardwalks and all the beach front property,but the ocean isn't causing flooding a mile in land.thats the high tide with the creeks and stuff.

who knows this thing could take out florida then head north and take out the Mideast.too early to tell,but florida is definitely getting it hard,so be careful out there my fello Floridians.make sure u have plenty of batteries.power could be off for a long time,and u will probably lose ur cars so forget charging the phone in the car.

5. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    just checked the graphs the eye appears to be in the keys,thats a very good thing for the rest of florida.

my gay uncle lol also lives in florida in pompano beach,he has a townhouse on like the 14th floor or something.florida will be a desolute waste land and his building will still be standing tall

6. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Betty,
    We understand if you don't continue to update the progress of this storm. It looks like all will be inundated with preparation in the days to come. There's much to do.
    All Floridians; head the warnings, stay safe and let us know when you possibly can.
    Our thoughts, best wishes and prayers to you all!

7. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks DonQ. Maybe a SI guy will keep the tropics threads going once I don't have power. Am flying north if can get to the airport. But upon return am expecting no power for a long time, which means no SI.

8. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    OK fellow Floridians, I know I'm a little bit late with this but in case you don't know what to do Frankie is going to shout some advise at you. You should already have ordered your pizza and Chinese food and don't forget to keep your rubber boots and raincoats handy.

[video=youtube;JHH43pb70-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHH43pb70-Q&feature=share[/video]

9. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    No Betty means no SI!! It won't be the same!

Hope you stay safe Betty and other Flordia Ppl! Hope and pray that your homes are unharmed as well!

10. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Sad... that's usually a seldom post... miss seldom

11. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    YEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW BoYZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!! HOW MUCH YA BENCHIN'???? ANYONE MAN ENUFF TO GO OUT IN THE 'CANE??

12. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I'm willing to take a hit, as long as Irma takes out the entire Mideast. It will all be worth it. Peace in the MidEast, finally!!! No more ISIS

On a serious note, I hate wishing this thing towards another state, another country, so I won't. Hopefully it goes out to sea. But in all honesty whoever gets the eye will be stone aged for close to a decade.

13. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    footage from Barbuda late this afternoon as things were getting started.

[video=youtube;CawG7IBm8p8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CawG7IBm8p8[/video]

14. Rocketjok

Rocketjok Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Holy Chit....that video is F'd up. I tore my own house on Brevard County's barrier island in April in anticipation of rebuilding. I hope my sand/dirt is still there after this muther rolls through. To all the other Fla folks do as King Arthur says in "The Holy Grail"....run away, run away

15. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I read earlier that the video of Barbuda is actually from a tornado, and was not from today, nor from the hurricane.

16. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah, it looked like a tornado with the way the wind quickly just picked up strength

17. Rocketjok

Rocketjok Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Damn fake news.....but either way by the looks of all the models it is going to be pretty damn windy in my neck of the woods.

18. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    DP, Betty and you other FL peeps, be safe down there!!

19. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks dude, we'll try!