3mm Gloves should I go with rip curls oniels or patagonia

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by chrisd, Nov 25, 2009.

1. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Trying to use threemils till feb or so. Here is my dilemma. Rip curls fit good and have a wrist seal and are the cheapest. Patagonia fit better but no wrist seal. Oniels fit well wrist seala nd a cool textured design. The patagonia fit the best but I am worried about them filling with water.

2. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    fit your suit fits properly and is snug in the wrist area the suit will seal the gloves. I prefer mitts myself but thats just me

3. MDSurfer

MDSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Trust me when I say. . .

O'Neill gloves don't hold up. From pinhole leaks to general palm and fingertip breakdown, my experience says don't buy them, and I've told the company as much.

4. Feesh

Feesh Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Indeed!!!!

5. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    prob gonna need more than just 3mm...

6. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Definitely

7. A-FRaME-GaINES

A-FRaME-GaINES Well-Known Member

May 19, 2008
    i got 3mm ripcurl gloves they are real straight but do get a little cold once the cold hits in december

8. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    I dont know I think three mills will be ok I am still in a leaky ass three two and boots

9. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
  10. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    I will give it my best shot I am going to try to go with 5 mil xcel drylocks. 3 mil ripcurl five fingers, and a 4/3 mutant.

11. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Yeah, if you tuck in the gloves to the sleeve of the wetsuit, you shouldn't have a problem.

12. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    This will be the third season I've used my O'Neill 3mm gloves, and they don't have so much as a pinhole, or any breakdown whatsoever. They have outlasted my 5mm excel mittens... However, I've found that this pair is possibly the exception that proves the rule...

13. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    3 mils in February? Are you switching to 5's in Feb? Why not just switch when needed? Is it a $ thing?

Anyway good luck with the 3 mils in February you are going to have some seriously painful sessions...

Let us know how it goes or buy some used 5 or 7 mils from someone on here. Exit98 was selling some stuff for like $5.

14. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Nope it is just a personal goal not a money thing. I am thinking by mid december I will actually put gloves on and get into the mutant.

15. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    If your serious about winter surf, xcel drylock 7mil mitts.

Others will say "3mil is fine" and "5 finger is warm enough". But i like to stay in as long as possible in january. 7mil are WARM

16. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    After about 3 sessions with my Oneill lobsters I got a hole in between my index and middle finger.I can see after a year or something but 3 sessions.Not cool!

17. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I just dont understand that. why not be warm?

18. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    I hate rubber is basically it

19. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I hear ya I didnt start wearing a full suit til the 3rd week of october when we had the back to back Nor'easters and I only wore is cause the wind was giving me a chill.

The water temps really are hanging in there . I am not even wearing any type of gloves yet.On DP sessions I break out the 4/3 or the 5/4/3 which ever one is dry and my 7mm booties. and I am toast warm and I dont feel weighed down either with the suit . I think Hypeflex's stuff is kinds light compared to other suits out there.

20. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    I dont know if my mutant is light I havent put it on or used it yet