Rockaway surf?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by ClemsonSurf, Oct 25, 2017.

1. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I'm heading to Brooklyn for a week in November and going to be around the Floyd Bennett Field area each day.

I'm tempted to bring my neoprene for the chance I could hop in around the Rockaways. Google Earth is showing places further east but nothing close to where I'll be. Daylight savings time will be over then so it'll be dark early. I'll be staying near JFK, could I be able to get in somewhere early along the Rockaway Freeway roads?

Is it feasible to get out and on the job at 8? Also, who rents boards?

2. mrz1

mrz1 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2014
    i would ask someone there how long the subway takes to the rockaways even though its only 10 to 15 miles it could take days in a car with rush hour traffic I think its the A train, If you call some of the rockaway surf shops i am sure they can tell you the best way to get there from brooklyn, most of their customers come from the city.
    November 4/3 possibly boots

3. mrz1

mrz1 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2014
  4. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014

Where exactly are you gonna be? If you're to the East of JFK you can get a quick cab down to E. Atlantic Beach (gotta pay a 2 dollar toll bridge) and rent a board at Atlantic Beach Surf shop. Walk across the street and you're in the water. If you'd have to hop on the Belt to get there, fuggedaboutit. You'll wanna kill yourself in the traffic.

In Rockaway, I've surfed the 90th st vicinity a bunch, but not too recently. Long Beach is my jam. I'd imagine you shouldn't have any problem finding a peak at any jetty in that area, especially this time of year. I do know there is a shower and changing area at 90th st which they used to keep open later into the year. Been a few years though, so that might have changed.

Never had to rent a board but I know Boarders is right down the block from 90th, I'd imagine the'll have plenty of rentals.

PM me if you gots any more specific New Yawk sarfin questions. Rockaway can get fun as hell and to tell people you surfed NYC is always cool for the buds back home. Go for it.

5. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
  6. me tard

me tard Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Towelie would know.

Paging Mr Towel

7. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Uber it to Rockapulco.
    4/3 should be ok.

8. LongIslandBro

Jul 21, 2017
    Beginning of Nov. or end? Cuz it matters.
    Beginning of Nov w daylight savings you can be in the water at 6:15, surf till 7, then hi tail it to Brooklyn. Water will be low 60's/ high 50's.
    It's only 5 miles but it'll take an hour in rush hour.
    End of Nov you can hit the water at 7ish, which won't allow you to get to work by 8. Water will be mid to low 50's.
    No place will be open that early to rent boards.
    Sunset is like 4:30ish.
    There's a place on 65 st. Under the subway that rents boards. (Breakwater I think).
    Walk 2 blocks east to surf 62-65 streets.
    90 st will be crowded.
    Hope this helps.
    Also, what Kim Jong Un said.

9. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I don't surf that far west. LB is as far as i go west. But i got a buddy in Brooklyn who surfs rockaway all the time. He pulls off dawn patrol seshs so i think it's doable.

Also foamieswithmyhomies.... eff you guy. Your on here asking everyone's opinion on some piece of crap LB for 100 bucks. And i offer you one in much better shape and you don't even respond. Rude mang. Rude.

10. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If you staying by JFK, working by Floyd bennet, have a car and have a 8am start time you can get a surf in but time will be tight. Suit up at the hotel and get to the beach before dawn. crossbay blvd all the way down. Get a surf in. Breakfast at boardwalk bagel. Then take beach channel drive west to marine parkway bridge. Floyd bennet is at the other side of the bridge.
    Totally doable but will be a short surf. Being at the beach before 1st light will be crucial.

11. LongIslandBro

Jul 21, 2017
    I hope that was sarcasm fellow LI'er, cuz if not, you kinda come off sounding like a jilted ex girlfriend.

12. foamieswithmyhomies

Sep 18, 2014
    Not gonna get into a whizzing match here, but I appreciate the offer and didn’t mean to jerk ya off BassMon. Unless a board is free 99 it’s not gonna work out for me at the moment, so that’s why I didn’t bother wasting ya time.

13. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Get a job!

14. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    All good homie. I was being sarcastic. You didn't respond so i wasn't sure if you saw the offer. So i brought it up here in jest. Dudes on here always take me way to seriously. If you ever have interest just shoot me a PM.

15. foamieswithmyhomies

Sep 18, 2014
    Appreciate it bass, I figured as much with the sarcasm. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be in a better position to drop a little coin!

As for a job, me no need no skinkin yob.

16. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Appreciate the info. It'll be Nov 13-17 so it'll be dark early. I'll bring the neoprene and make the call once I'm up there.