Viper V5 differences

Discussion in 'Global Bodyboarding Talk' started by lycan, Nov 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lycan

lycan Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Hi. Just bought a pair of orange splash V5 Viper as a backup pair from an online auction site.

Being the same size, M, they are a bit different, one has a lighter, more vivid orange, has softer rubber, is a bit larger on the foot pocket (about one size larger) and is a tad lighter (680g vs 800g).

Can they be from different batches? Maybe the seller lost one and replaced it at a latter time?

Any experiences with this kind of differences on Vipers?

2. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I dont know.

3. Total Asshole

Total Asshole Active Member

Dec 10, 2016
  4. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    How much is 800 grams?

5. lycan

lycan Member

Nov 19, 2017
    :)

680g is about 1.5 pounds
    800g is about 1.8 pounds

6. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Did you purchase them at the only premiere surfing shopp?? Eastern Lines in BELMAR NJ?? If so, Probably wouldn't have this problem...

In reality- you really never know what your gonna get from an 'online action' site.. some dude could have just been collecting lost fins off the shoreline..

I don't have any experience since I ride a surfbort, but I have heard that viper is one of the better companies. Have you considered emailing the company?

7. lycan

lycan Member

Nov 19, 2017
    You're absolutely right.

One of the best companies as products go. Have not had the best experience with user support. With MS Viper yes, MS himself answers the queries, Viper, not really.

8. Total Asshole

Total Asshole Active Member

Dec 10, 2016
  9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I have not had any experiences like this... could very well be a bad batch of rubber, or could be one fin is older and more "broken in?" The different pocket sizes would drive me nuts.

10. Iggy

Iggy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Life is like an online auction site.....you never know what your gonna get.

Hopefully you didn't pay too much for them.

11. lycan

lycan Member

Nov 19, 2017
    True. The different rubber is also a PITA. The heavier one, although orange splashed, is stiff as a yellow.

12. lycan

lycan Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Never a loss. Trying to get something of this by groking the differences between the fins.

13. Iggy

Iggy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I like Ally fins and use Kicks as my backup.

14. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
  15. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Call Viper and buy a match...

16. arthurdigbysellers

arthurdigbysellers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    You dudes remember the GI Joe episode when the 'viper was coming to vipe the vindows'?

I'm happy with my tech 2's still

17. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Do you still write?

18. arthurdigbysellers

arthurdigbysellers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Bulk of the series, Dude.

19. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    My educated guess: you have two different pressings of the same "orange dot" fin.

There's an original older moulding that everyone got prior to 2014-ish. I believe after that there was a newer mould since supplies globally were running thin. It was hard to find "yellow dot" V5's in an XL for a while. There's been demand so a newer mould was pressed for the "dot" versions. My guess is you have one of each.

Don't confuse these with the "all yellow/orange" models. These vary slightly.

But as someone else said, hope you didn't pay too much. I've sold several pairs of fins through online auction sites and they usually only go for $10-$20.

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Solution--BUY A NEW SET !!!
    Stop being cheap!!! Are you that cheap on dates???