Surf in Cancun

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by jbeach24, Jan 5, 2018.

1. jbeach24

jbeach24 Member

Jan 3, 2016
    I am going to a wedding in Cancun in April. I have done some research and looked like it can be inconsistent at best. I was curious if anyone has any ideas/recommendations on surf in Cancun in April and whether I should take boards or rent there. Thanks in advance.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Reality check--no surf in Cancun--wrong ocean. Maybe shin high wind chop.
    Take snorkeling gear and set your mind for that- you will be happier.

littlerhody likes this.

3. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I’ve never heard anything remarkable about Cancun’s surfing. I’d rent a board there if it’s worthwhile when you get there, assuming they have board rentals, but I wouldn’t waste money in bringing a board with you.

4. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    I once saw some really nice lefts coming in at a Jetty at playa del carmen...I woke up super hungover and could see it wayyyyyy down the beach so I walked down there. There was one guy out catching a bunch of fun lefts. Cozumel gets surf and sometimes really good surf.....the reality is it takes a lot of luck to get any of these spots and April is probably too late in the season. Good luck>

5. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    No BS, I was actually getting ready to start a thread about this! Wife and I are headed there this Sunday for a week (with no kids). Was checking the fucast and looks like there will be a chest high wave for a few days if I'm lucky. I'm not taking boards as its my wifes company that's sending us, and I'm not asking them to fly my boards for me. Are there any good shops to rent from. Googled it and results are iffy at best, figured I would question the SI braintrust and see what yall know.

6. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I was in Cancun 10 years ago as a hurricane approached. It never got surfable in Cancun. Just a 3 foot high shorebreak right on the sand. About an hour south near Tulum there was a reef we saw that looked barely worth paddling out. Keep in mind that this was with a solid hurricane brewing. I think this is a region that pretty muck lacks any surfable waves.

7. SJKC

SJKC Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Apparently there's maybe one or two spots that occasionally have rideable waves, but for the most part, those saying there's no surf are correct. For what swell it gets, it lacks the sand bars to create beach breaks. The only board rental company I'm aware of is 360 surf school. I reached out to him a week before I went in September. He got back to me three days after I got home.

8. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I went to cancun in summer on a two week trip. There were a few days with waist-high funboardable windswell. Don't know if april gets those relatively consistent tradewind waves.

There was an interesting little barrel inside the jetties at the north end (in front of Krystal Cancun hotel)...but it was swarmed with boogie boarders. The waves at Playa Delfines (south end of cancun) aren't as clean, but bigger, more consistent and pretty much deserted.

Don't take a board, but you could score something worth renting a board for while you're there.

9. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    The only thing you should be thinking about in Cancun is getting drunk and banging hot puss.

10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    The surf looks good... the surfing... meh...

11. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Went there in March back in 2005/2006 with family. I brought a board. Surfed several times. Mostly wind chop (up to head high). Best surf was right when you get into town in front of hotel (i think it was a Sheraton). When you get into the resort there are some other spots - one is called Chacmool (probably spelled incorrectly). In front of some resorts can be an issue as there are moorings with lines/ropes marking swimming sections. It was not epic by any stretch of imagination but i did surf several times. I have no info on board rentals! Caught a bunch of tarpon fishing!

12. jbeach24

jbeach24 Member

Jan 3, 2016
    thanks for the info

13. jimmycrab

jimmycrab Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    About 10 years ago there with wife, good lefts by some jetty, sort of impressed at shape and size. Didn't think they got surf. Locals were out, I was just mind surfing.

14. desandan

desandan Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Body surf is best bet - even when there is swell the winds are usually brisk onshore.

15. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I have the hardest time taking vacations at beaches with no surf. The wife is a good sport but I think she gets kinda pissed when I pass on vacation spots like Cancun and Antigua.