Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by hn1902, Jan 15, 2018.

1. hn1902

hn1902 New Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Planning a road trip for this summer. Thinking of going to Nova Scotia in June. How consistent are the waves in the summer?

your pier likes this.
  2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Same as the majority of the rest of the East Coast... pretty inconsistent.

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Great place to go in the summer. Remember to take your big wave boards and sturdy leashes. The waves will be gigantic!!! And you will not need wetsuits, the water is 80*F and coconut trees growing on shore, where naked wahinis lure you in to their huts for some "you-know-what"!!
    Yup...summer....Nova Scotia......smart move!!!

La_Piedra likes this.
  4. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    do you have insta? quite a few accnts to follow that way. also check oot frankie the weather man on youtube, hell hook you ups. before you go you must also reconne trailer park boys to best understand the culture

june could be dicey cause not a lot of hurricanes form in june....actually none hurricanes form in june. with that said though, from what i;ve seen secondhand NS catches everything. you just need to have (generally because of geography) a west, nw, or north wind for things to work.

if you go, get me 2. was gonna go that way in august but my gpas 90th bday party f-in up that plan. i heard i might see barry cuda there though - guess the two were best buds in pre-k

sisurfdogg likes this.
  5. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I've been wanting to go to NS for a long time. It's a sorta bucket list trip for me. Drive up with some buds, camp out, and surf. Would like to do it in the fall. Summer would probably be cool too, just might not have any waves

jaklsurfs likes this.
  6. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Have been thinking the same thing for about a decade. Got a buddy in Maine who says they operate a car ferry from Maine to NS in the summer. Otherwise, it’s an 8 hour drive from Maine.
    August/ Sept would be the best bet I reckon.

7. rearly9986

rearly9986 Active Member

Apr 11, 2012
    You may want to put that off until late September. Most swells are from Hurricanes and the water would be somewhat warmer. Compared to June temps which will still be closer to winter lows. But by all means go to NS enjoy the coast line and the best Lobster in the world.

8. your pier

Dec 2, 2013
    save your coin...it aint cheap, especially if you bring a car. if no car, not too bad

littlerhody likes this.
  9. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    LIBro... If you ever plan on pulling the trigger on a trip like that and need a extra person let me know. I'd be down for a NS strike mission with a fellow swellie/LIer

You pier.... have you been up there? What wasn't cheap? I can't imagine camping out would be expensive. Please elaborate.

10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Warning: They measure their shots... one oz. Exactly.

11. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009

super inconsistent. also if you have a DUI on your record they wont let you in the country unless you get it expunged. I got tossed out two hurricane seasons ago for a 9 year old DUI charge. I got it expunged for 500 bucks from a lawyer so can go back now but Maine is cooler without the canadians

12. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009

the ferry is 400 bucks each way the nova star thats the one I took. other option is drive around and through mainland canada which is a 13 hour drive even from rhode island! better to just fly to el salvador for 400 bucks and get better waves but at least you have a good sense of adventure!

13. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    They put gravy on their French fries.

14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ...and cheese curds.

15. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    That makes it worth the trip

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Sorry boys, but the French side of Canada is awesome for food. Maybe the scottish side in Nova Scotia sucks for food (hagus in Scotland is barf), that I can agree with. Aw shit, even the surf sucks in Nova Scotia--it isn't worth the travel and expense. No different or better than Cape Cod on a day with swell.
    I'd rather fly to PR, DR, Barbados etc, for the money, and screw camping--that is morons (which you all are!!).

17. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Damn. 400 for a ferry is crazy. Probably is smarter wave and money wise to hop on a plane and head else where. But hey, NS is just one of those places i want to go. I remember hearing you can see the northern lights at certain times? Not sure if that's true or not. But anyway. I'd still take the long trip (screw a 400 dollar ferry), camp out, and surf if it was planned as a hurricane strike mission. Smarter choices out there but NS sounds like an adventure to me

your pier likes this.
  18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You gotta do some bushwhacking, but there are empty points all over the place. Access is tough because it's steep and sketchy to get down and back up in a lot of places. Fun to explore on a smaller day, though. On a bigger day, like a hurricane swell, just stick to the main spots. You'll have to deal with some crowds, but you'll still get plenty of waves. The camping opportunities are limitless for tent camping. Car/camper camping might be more limited.

your pier likes this.
  19. your pier

Dec 2, 2013
    haven't been...yet.

from what i reconned in planning a possible trip this august is that camping is cheap, and you can do so not too far away from choice spots and Halifax...even with a dog two kids and their babysitter, i mean my wife

if you're on insta check out scottysherin....good pics of all over the place up there. on your way up reconne boldcoastfarms (also insta handle) that's somewhere between here and there, but i don't know where

20. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    We went at the end of summer/beginning of fall a few years back and had a great time. Got a couple of fun sessions in but we were going for more than just surf. Did a lot of hiking and exploring in general. Cape Breton is a definite don't miss! It'll be one of the best drives you'll ever take in your life and I'd plan on spending at least 2 or 3 full days there. We uncovered one gem that I'm dying to go back for on a hurricane swell.