Xcel accessories

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by NICAfiend, Jan 18, 2018.

1. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I've been wearing Xcel gear for a while now. Their wetsuits always fit me the best and the accessories (booties, gloves, etc....) always fit perfect, except this time. Since the fit has been true I always order everything online. This time when I got my booties (5mil split toe) the size showed the same but the fit was way off. I wear a 10 and these things feel like an 8.5. I was wondering if anyone else had an issue like this with their 2018 gear? Even the gloves fit a bit snugger. I'm not sure what to do with them....try to break them in or send them back? Even then, who knows what size I wear now? I had a similar problem with VANS awhile back. Always fit like a glove then they switched up the mold or something and they've rubbed me wrong ever since, until my last pair which were customs. I'm pretty sure I'm not still growing at the ripe age of 45. I thought people my age start to shrink so I'm at a loss?

2. TubeDoc

TubeDoc Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    On a friend's recommendation I recently bought 5 mm Xcel round toe boots, size 10 for my 10.5-11 foot thinking they would stretch out, and they are so tight that I am wishing I had bought the size 11. maybe the newer Xcel stuff runs small?

3. Bukake

Bukake Member

Feb 14, 2016
    I wish the new Oneill Heat 7mm booties weren’t so ugly. They look like you should be wearing them with a tuxedo.

I have a pair from three years ago. They are the warmest, most confotable boot I have ever owned. Fit is true to size.

4. NotAMasshole

NotAMasshole Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Their sizes have always been consistent for me too. But I haven't bought any 2018 gear. I did just buy a pair of new red cell 7mm, that were true to size. But, they aren't as warm as an xcel 7mm, especially these past couple weeks. See if you can return/exchange them if they are obviously not true to size.

5. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    waaaat???? who tf cares. id wear tuxedo shoes sarfing if they worked and kept my feet warm

lmfao

6. NICAfiend

NICAfiend Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I might try them again to see if they'll stretch some but if not send them back. This years has a different pattern/insulator material on the inside compared to the previous few years so maybe that's the cause? I really like the Drylock booties and hate to switch.

7. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010

I wouldn't mess around- just send them back and write a note that the sizing is off, get new ones or order a bigger size.

Wetsuits don't really stretch out too much- and with boots and gloves- of they are too tight (length wise) then your get cold super quick- surprisingly quick.

If they feel too tight like around your foot, might not be a problem, but if it's too short like the wrong shoe size, your feet will get cold quick.

headhigh and pkovo like this.
  8. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    My guess, they switched Chinese manufacturers and sizing is waay off. It's terrible, but it's the new norm.

In a lot of mountain bike gear, I have to order XXL. I'm a M-L in reality, but in China I'm apparently a giant.

9. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I'm huge in Japan.

10. Bukake

Bukake Member

Feb 14, 2016
    tuxedo shoes dude

11. maddogg

maddogg Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Just checking... THESE are the boots that are so ugly you won't wear despite them being the warmest and most comfortable??
    4790-002-WEB.jpg

your pier likes this.
  12. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Got xcel boots a year ago (wear size 11 consistently) and the 11 was too small for me, almost painful. I let them stretch out a bit and started to love how close they were to my actual foot. It felt more like a half size too small than 1.5 though.

13. RPC3

RPC3 Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I just bought a new pair of 7mm drylock boots a week back, third pair of xcel boots and 2nd pair of drylocks. The new pair seems to be roughly the same size, but the elasticity in the neoprene or construction seems to be way less forgiving. My other pair stretched on and off pretty easily, but putting these on I thought I was going to rip the heel loop off the back trying to work them on. Once on they felt okay, and in the sub 40 degree water they felt fine, but maybe a size up would have been the way to go. Too bad they don't come in half sizes.

14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

So then wear a tuxedo while surfing. What are you, a fashionista??

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Maybe you have CHF-congestive heart failure, meaning, your feet are swelling due to fluid accumulation as your heart pump is starting to fail. Usually starts in mid-forties. Call your doctor, Mr. MD, for a diagnosis. (just kidding, of course)
    Drylock products usually suck--they are made much tighter--the clue is the word "dry" in the branding!! Okay, Einstein??

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2018
  16. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I have some XL 5 mill Drylock gloves and some XL 3 mill Drylock gloves for sale. They are in excellent condition. If anybody is interested, pm me.

17. maddogg

maddogg Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Yeah they look like boots to me. And if they're warm and comfy then that's perfect. I honestly expected something that looked like shoes, like those converse looking boots that came out.

18. hinmo24t

hinmo24t Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    xcel is top notch stuff. recent gloves fit well and my old xfinity 6/5/4 xlt fits perfect.

coming from Mass/RI surfer 32* water 3 hr sessions in xcel

19. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I broil in my Xcel suits, and they've lasted longer than any of my other suits.

But the Xcel's are also my most expensive stuff.

I also have those same O'Neill boots, I'm happy with them

20. Bukake

Bukake Member

Feb 14, 2016
    yep those are them.....tuxedo shoes. Barry, did you take a nap today old man?