Sandbars

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by notaseal, Jan 15, 2018.

1. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Hell yeah. I remember the first time i ever experienced that. At the spot i mentioned. Got a little waist-chest high guy, wasn't doing turns or anything at that point so i basically just sped down the line then straightened out to ride the white water into the beach. Suddenly it was like the water had a big ol step in it and i rolled right into a steep chest high screamer on the inside. Completely took me off guard. Never seen that before. This was before the internet got big so if i didn't experience it first hand, it didn't exist in my mind. I thought it was the coolest thing.

MrBigglesworth likes this.
  2. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Grew up surfing Cocoa Beach, on bigger days you def had 3 sections like DP321 said!

ECsponger and DawnPatrol321 like this.

3. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Some thoughts...
    Oxnard Shores down through Silver Strand is a straight stretch of sand...several miles, approx 5 or so. But shoreline depths generally tend to drop off more quickly on the west coast and offshore current conditions are different. North of Oxnard shores, the Santa Clara and Ventura rivers enter the sea. Going further north toward S. Barbara and beyond, the coastline faces more southward.

notaseal likes this.
  4. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    not true....I alive and kicking.... toward the end of fall we had 3 different bars at IOP,,the outer bar was past the end of the pier,and the last tropical swell(sept 18th) most the waves broke out here.... upload_2018-1-19_13-43-28.jpg
    these shift quite a bit from summer to winter etc, not sure if its the swell direction but midsummer the beach is mostly flat with little or no bars, as we get a more northerly swell the bars tend to dig a bit deeper

Notaseal and MrBigglesworth like this.
  5. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    There was at one of the spots i just surfed in Florida...
    [​IMG]

6. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Yeah....florida has a lot of places that have outside bars on a big swell. Surfed Smyrna not the inlet but beach on a huge hurricane swell and it was breaking on a third bar...total biznotch to get out there but once you were out you didn't have to worry about the inner two sections so not a huge deal. Also agreed that brevard county reaks have this at some locals. Have surfed some places in California with a similar setup.......a heavy beach break south of s cruz and ocean beach both have similar outer bars.....interesting discussion nontheless.

7. Mitchell

Jan 5, 2009
    The most frustrating inner/outer bar setup ive surfed was in Oceanside California. it was a clean day about shoulder to head high. Glassy conditions, that looked at first glance like it was going to be super fun. I paddled out and quickly realized that the swell size/tide was just in between breaking on the outer bar or feathering on the outer bar but not breaking until the inner bar. about 75 yards of deeper water in between. It seemed like every time i chased sets that were breaking cleanly on the outer bar it would slack off and pretty shoulder high gems would slip underneath not quite breaking. So i would paddle in and then the sets would start breaking outside again. No Bueno

8. CuckNorris

CuckNorris Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Wayne?

Notaseal likes this.
  9. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013

CuckNorris likes this.
  10. CuckNorris

Jul 7, 2018
    Southside, Indian river inlet, florida

11. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    sebastian inlet monster hole for a reason monster hole

CuckNorris likes this.
  12. CuckNorris

Jul 7, 2018
    Sebastian Inlet, Delaware.

13. MrBigglesworth

MrBigglesworth Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    HE RETURNS IN FULL FORM!!!!!
    Unless it’s an imposter - at least now everybody will finally believe I’m NOT him lol

CuckNorris likes this.
  14. CuckNorris

Jul 7, 2018
    Lol

15. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Monster hole?

MrBigglesworth and CuckNorris like this.
  16. CuckNorris

Jul 7, 2018
    Monster Hole, Delaware.

17. Moon dog

Moon dog Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Look at post date he was still a member!

CuckNorris likes this.
  18. Mitchell

Jan 5, 2009
    Bad with dates is a common symptom of senility. I think he just took a step towards proving Barry is still with us.

19. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    Bahahahahahahahah! Oops!

CuckNorris likes this.
  20. MrBigglesworth

Jun 29, 2018
    Senility is like ED, can come at any age so be prepared Mitchy my friend ... and that “guest user” thing keeps throwing me off! Like a bad rash that keeps popping up

CuckNorris likes this.