crazy animal encounters

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by metard, Jan 19, 2018.

1. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    the shark encounter thread got me thinking. i have had some unusual animal encounters over the years. post yours here.

1.saw what looked like 20 or so stingrays/skates cruising by while surfing dominical, costa rica. got off my board an put my head underwater and looked down and there were hundreds of these thing all around. like a swarm or pod or school or whatever. it was pretty remarkable.

2. pulled a dead leather back turtle in one morning while lifeguarding in wrightsville. thing was like 9 feet long. huge mf'er. suprised how big these things can get. had prop gashes on it head. sad.

3. when i was a kid i was visiting my cousins in rural georgia. we went to a livestock auction and i saw a horse go crazy as they tried to lead it in. it messed one dude up by pinning him to a wall. crushed him. he passed out or died idk. then it reared up and fell over on another guy. broke dudes leg. his leg was stuck sideways at a 90 degree angle. all right in front of me. i dont mess with horses.

4. caught a stargazer fish once. while trying to get the hook out i touched its head and it shocked me. strangest feeling ever. i've been shocked before but that was totally different.

also this https://www.swellinfo.com/forum/threads/found-a-baby-squirrel.26327/

smitty517 likes this.
  2. Son Bather Bob

Son Bather Bob Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2014
    I was attacked by a dachshund when i was 6. Scary stuff

3. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Utah__Two, sisurfdogg and CBSCREWBY like this.
  4. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Last fall I was walking on top of a ridge line in upstate PA hunting grouse and scouting for the upcoming deer season. It was a windy, mild day. When the wind blew, I walked and when it stopped I would stop and listen. As I walked deeper down the ridge, every time I'd stop, I would catch movement out of the corner of my eye behind me where there was a thick stand of beech trees. Something was following me. I decided to head to the back end of the ridge where there are some clear areas, or breaks in the woods to see if I could get a better look.
    I had barely entered the first clearing when I looked behind me and sure enough, two coyotes where staring me down at about 50 yards. These bastids were not scared of me at all. They were STALKING me. I put down the shotgun and pulled out my S&W .45 semi and started blasting away in their general direction. I didn't hit them but it had the desired effect of chasing them off. It was a surreal situation to be the hunted which had happened to me once before...

5. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    About 15 years ago I was on the same ridge turkey hunting. It was early May which is gobbler only in PA so you have to get in the woods early, set up, and start calling. You have to be out of the woods by noon to let the birds breed. Around noon, having no luck, I headed down an old fire clearing that was surrounded by thick pines and swamp which leads almost directly to the back of my cabin. I was about halfway down when I heard a long, loud bear grown in the swamp to my right. It's an eerie whoooooo kinda sound.
    I had no sooner registered the sound when he stepped out into the fire clearing about 20 FEET in front of me, a distance he could cover in about the same time it takes a man to sneeze. He was a bruiser, about 500 pounds easy. He stood up on his hind legs and gnashed his teeth at me. He was way, way taller than me which is rare for a black bear. I pointed the Remington 12 gauge skyward, and fired off a shell. He plopped back down onto all 4s, shook his head at me, and WALKED back into the swamp. Turns out, he was with a female bear in heat and thought I was competition. I quick-walked down that clearing backwards, got to the cabin and changed out my soiled undergarments.

sisurfdogg, headhigh and metard like this.
  6. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Good thread....I knew when I read the title CyC would be up in here with some good stories.

I have had numerous encounters with black bears. I never feel good after them. My first encounter was with a large one walking straight up a steep ridge right to me. I was 16 and had a .30-.30. I was shaking so bad my spine was locking up. He cut down the ridge once he got to about 25 yards...probable smelled me. Since then I have had a few other ones. Two bear cubs roll past me near dark and I never saw momma as I walked out. Last year I was bow hunting and walked in on a trail and a bear was walking towards me....we both look up at the same time and scared the crap out of both of us...he took off. This year I was in a stand and one of the biggest bears I have seen came in and sat down about 20 yards. I started talking to it and he got up real slow, shook his head and wandered off.

Me and my bud walked up on a monk seal sleeping at the waters edge on the north shore one time. We actually hung out with it for a while and just tripped out on it. Cool creatures.

man I will think of some others...I'm sure there are tons of good stories from this bunch...nature tends to surprise and intrigue you when you don't expect it.

smitty517 and ChavezyChavez like this.
  7. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    pretty cool treade.

I too am afraid of horses,they are big scary creatures,i seen somebody get dragged by one and had temporary paralysis,where they couldn't move and then it just went away.

craziest thing I saw firsthand which isn't all that special but was on some train tracks and a frog came by and a snake came and ate him,like 10'' from my shoes,i saw it all go down was pretty wild lol.

another time,when I was a kid we lived near a lot of woods,and had this 1 hang out spot that was a flat spot on a steep hill in the woods leading up to an apartment complex.u climb a bunch of big boulders and then that's a nice size level ground then goes uphill.

we were all hanging out there one night pretty tuned up and all of a sudden a fkin bear came walking up from the bottom like super close and we run the opposite way up the hill and over the fence and run up there and it was a huge fire so we didn't know what direction to go.after like 30 seconds of adrenaline passed we realized it was just a bbq and hopped the fence and made the escape.

iv seen plenty of wild life but never tried to attack me lol.i was fishing on the beach one day and 2 coyotes came walking by.i was pretty scared it was like 11pm,we were just sitting there,luckily they didn't come walking up.didnt look that big tho looked like some starved stray dogs lol

sisurfdogg likes this.
  8. Jesterface

Jesterface Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2017
    After nor easters when all the conchs wash up on shore DP status I throw them back in while walking up the beach.

The scumbag tourists almost look mad as they fill bags with live conchs. BTW they are impossible to clean out and display if they are still alive, will stink to high heaven.
    If you eat them then I don't mind, but you know these people have very small palates. Like people who don't like their food touching or crusts cut off of sandwiches.

sisurfdogg likes this.
  9. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I once found a big Quahog clam on the beach after surfing in OCMD. He was so cool, I named him Cletus.

I immediately took him home and put him in the bathroom, while I took an extra-long hot steamy shower. He made a bunch of gurgling noises and made a bunch of bubbles.

I think he liked it.

Zeroevol and willburne like this.
  10. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    hand released a red tail hawk from my screened in porch! I had ski gloves and a towel! the hawk was injuring itself trying to get out! made a dumb decision to save this bird! thank god it worked out! look it up on youtube, trapped hawk freed, first one, 1:49 I think I shooshed it to death! pretty nerve racking!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    sisurfdogg likes this.
  11. surfin

surfin Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    i was in Taft California on my aunts farm at a bbq . Sitting on a lawn chair eating a hotdog and drinking a soda . Then this rough looking orange and white stray cat starts walking by . So i started meow growling at him . He stopped and stared right at me and growled right back . So id meow at him again . Then he'd meow , then i would meow growl , he'd growl . i would growl louder and meaner , then he would . As this is going on i hear my dad say " he's going to get you , just watch " . Well sometime during that conversation we were having . The cat and i . i must of said something insulting , must have pushed the wrong button . It must of been a fraction of a second and it was all over . He got me good , probably like 4 or 5 good hits , backed off then circled me with his ears back hair standing , tail all pooffy , growling . A mean growl , one i have never heard from a normal sized cat . I think he was asking if wanted another piece of him . Then from then on , that cat and i were on the look out for each other . One bad mamba jamba heathcliff is .

sisurfdogg, headhigh and La_Piedra like this.
  12. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    - seen moose in NH
    - swear to gawd camping up outside cedar breaks, UT was being stalked by something around the tent
    - saw a bobcat hop a 6 foot fence like it was nothin on the PA/NY border
    - sarfed right over a school of stripers one morning in july a few years ago. water is very clear, very often around here (you see the youtube vid of the guy swimming off long sands beach, ME and right whale swims right through? now that's wild)
    - can't forget anytime I've seen a possum - fok they're nasty
    - saw a grey fox this past fall walking through the neighborhood with the two kids - it was in the afternoon, made me nervous, put kids right behind me, fox just ran off
    - ever here a fisher cat in the wild? gnar
    - saw a flying squirrel fly whilst living in VA - that was awesome

13. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    One time I was on HHI riding the mountain bike(no hills lol). I was in a preserve hauling ass. Saw two does (female deer mo-rons!).

I stopped to check them out. I had slippers on (flip flops). I was so in tune with watching two does that I did not realize fire ants were chomping on my right foot.

14. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    The elephant scene in The Brothers Grimsby.

15. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    While out jogging one early morning in Corona CA, I watched a pair of coyotes working as a team to flush rabbits out of the brush. The thought occurred that they could do the same to me while I was out running the trails.

16. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    When I was a kid growing up in FL, I love photography and I also loved alligators. Here I am getting a close up

Attached Files:

La_Piedra likes this.
  17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Backpacking in the New Hampshire mountains I came across a beaver dam. I started photographing it and this beaver comes swimming up... getting closer and closer... swimming straight for me. He got about 10 yards away and slapped his tail on the water so hard it scared the sh!t out of me and literally jumped into the air. Sounded like a gunshot.

Zeroevol likes this.
  18. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    While surfing a dawn patrol in Cerro Azul, Peru in January of 2002? I was joined by a small group of porpoises (dunno the dif between dolphin and porpoise, but these were brown, not blue).
    It was obvious when they breached they were not sharks, so I was’nt scared at all. (You can tell by the way the fin comes up if ya know what I mean).
    At one point they were so close that if I had reached out while straddling my board (and tipping over), I coulda touched one of em.
    Also got to eat a guinea pig on that trip. Tasted like rabbit a bit, or duck.

19. LongIslandBro

Jul 21, 2017
    Bali, October 1998:
    I’m wading in knee deep water and see a twig moving in the water.
    A closer look revealed maybe a foot long, pencil thin snake.
    It was multicolored.
    I splashed at it and the thing came at me.
    I immediately thought red=poison and backed away.
    The thing then aggressively comes towards me and I high tail it out of the water as fast as I can.

sisurfdogg likes this.
  20. LongIslandBro

Jul 21, 2017
    La Liberdad, Nicaragua, June 2003:
    Thought I’d take a short cut through the cemetery to the point ( was warned not to cuz of bandits but did anyway). Got attacked by some junkyard dog.
    The thing bit my shin and calf, and drew serious blood, then ran away.
    I was freaked out about disease the rest of the trip cuz I covered the bites in duct tape and kept surfing.
    Got a cool scar to show.

hinmo24t, nopantsLance and smitty517 like this.
  21. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    It's weird for me to hear stories about deer because they're so common here. I'm not lying when I say that I have deer in my yard 350 days out of the year.

I usually have anywhere from 2-6 laying in my back yard for hours at a time. A lot of mothers with calves in the springtime. We occasionally get a big buck or 2, hanging out with a harem.

It's like having groceries delivered to your house. ( I keed.)